CNET News: Apple to drop PowerPC chips?

Comments

• Reply 241 of 318
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

Because Redmond would cut off Apples air supply.

Fun a guy from the UK thinks he knows all about american business.

I know way more than you...
  • Reply 242 of 318
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

Fun a guy from the UK thinks he knows all about american business.

I know way more than you...

The IT business is global, this isn't about America.
  • Reply 243 of 318
    I had a boss, QA manager, straight from the UK via Canada.

He had a high school education from the UK, and two years college from the US.

I supplied the last piece of information that got him FIRED.

And he TOTALLY DESERVED it I never met anyone that needed to be fired soo badly !!!

He had the knowledge and maturity of an American high-school kid, I am being generous. European education, High school == University in the USA == BULL !!!

By the way when I was in University I won a schoolarship to study in New Zealand, the British schooling system all the way, they were trying to SWITCH to the American way.
  • Reply 244 of 318
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

I had a boss, QA manager, straight from the UK via Canada.

He had a high school education from the UK, and two years college from the US.

I supplied the last piece of information that got him FIRED.

And he TOTALLY DESERVED it I never met anyone that needed to be fired soo badly !!!

He had the knowledge and maturity of an American high-school kid, I am being generous. European education, High school == University in the USA == BULL !!!

By the way when I was in University I won a schoolarship to study in New Zealand, the British schooling system all the way, they were trying to SWITCH to the American way.

Clearly you have a superior intellect, I see my mistake now.
  • Reply 245 of 318
    Quote:

The IT business is global, this isn't about America.

If this is TRUE then businesses don't buy it JUST BECAUSE IT RUNS winWows.

And Microsoft doesn't have the power to take the air out of Apple.

Quote:

iii THANKYOU VERY MUCH !!!
  • Reply 246 of 318
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Quote:

It's reality. Business pays MessageLabs and Sophos to keep them safe, they pay per seat license fees to keep software up to date, they pay consultants $750 a day to build bespoke VB apps to do custom database jobs on SQL Server, they pay MSCE engineers to support it all.

It's a billion dollar IT ecosystem. Intel based Macs mean nothing in it.

You are 100% right. Pop eats itself.
  • Reply 247 of 318
    Quote:

This Jerk that pretended to be an SQA Manager, got everyone beneath him in his department in Canada FIRED. He did QA all alone for a few months, just by running SQL automation tool which is totally automated.

Then he came down to the USA and asked me to help him to fire people that I worked with...

... so before any of us got fired, HE WAS FIRED !!!
  • Reply 248 of 318
    kiwi-in-dckiwi-in-dc Posts: 102member
    Quote:

Speaking as someone who was born and educated in New Zealand, and worked in the University system (Otago) until 1997 when I came to the US where I've also been involved in tertiary education - your statement is not true...
  • Reply 249 of 318
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwi-in-dc

Speaking as someone who was born and educated in New Zealand, and worked in the University system (Otago) until 1997 when I came to the US where I've also been involved in tertiary education - your statement is not true...

Of course its true.

That's the way it was at Massey, 1992.
  • Reply 250 of 318
    Laptops Outsell Desktops for First Time

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...top_sales.html
  • Reply 251 of 318
  • Reply 252 of 318
    unixguruunixguru Posts: 49member
    Quote:

they pay MSCE engineers to support it all.

It's a billion dollar IT ecosystem. Intel based Macs mean nothing in it.

Hahaha! MCSE Engineers. HAHAHA! Good one! But the point is right on. If Apple uses Intel processors, users still can't do Windows-dependent software on their Macs. What this would let you do is run VMWare or Virtual PC a whole lot faster. But even this, it's still a pain in the ass, and most users don't want to both with that.
  • Reply 253 of 318
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Are you just trying to up your post count or do you not know about the existence of the button?
  • Reply 254 of 318
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    That would be very surprising. The only way this makes sense is if Apple gets the chips cheaper than the PowerPC and if Apple allows other computer makers to sell macOSX on their machines, which they definitely should do.

The problems-people may be wary of buying Macs that contain PowerPC chips in it now because whatever software they buy with it may not work in the Intel OSX.

Also, Apple can't boast about speed boosts over Intels and have to keep up with the speed of PCs which change faster than Apple's product updates.
  • Reply 255 of 318
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Now The NY Times is putting the story on its front page, and with an air of certainty. It looks like Steve is betting the farm.
  • Reply 256 of 318
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    The New York Times isn't the reputible source it once was. I believe David Letterman joked, "All the news fit to make up."
  • Reply 257 of 318
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sybaritic

Now The NY Times is putting the story on its front page, and with an air of certainty. It looks like Steve is betting the farm.

Certainly does, and with John Markoff putting his byline on the line, that story sure ain't chickenfeed.

(I have to add here in passing Markoff zapped Intel in the NY Times with a story when the company was hassling Tom's Hardware Guide. The fallout embarassed Intel enough to the point they were genuflecting at Tom. That was a while ago. )

Even so, in all the coverage, I've noticed one constant: None of them confirm "Mac OS X on x86." They all say "Apple will use Intel chips." We're assuming it means OS X on x86 -- but we could still see a very different roadmap from the Stevenote.

Tomorrow, of course, I'll wince at this post.
  • Reply 258 of 318
    sam damonsam damon Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

The New York Times isn't the reputible source it once was. I believe David Letterman joked, "All the news fit to make up."

What matters is the reporter these days. Repeat after me, "Jason Blair." Thank you.

Markoff is no Jayson Blair. If anyone in the mainstream media would be more than a match for Uncle Steve at a press conference, it would be Markoff. I'd love to see a one-on-one interview by Markoff with Steve tomorrow or Tuesday in the NY Times. H**l, I'd probably pay admission.

That's why Apple PR will never let him near Steve.8)
  • Reply 259 of 318
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think it's a done deal. It sucks regardless.
  • Reply 260 of 318
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sam Damon

We're assuming it means OS X on x86

OK, here's another thing that would persuade me...if that point was clarified. It just doesn't make sense to me that Intel would be making PowerPC chips for Apple. I don't know, that's kind of like Schwepps asking Coca-Cola for help making Dr. Pepper.