Intel-based Macs coming soon?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 433
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I for one welcome our Pentium overlords....

wait a minute....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 142 of 433
    I can now confirm that it is possible that Bill Gates is C|Net's source for Apple on Intel rumours. In a statement earlier today, he hinted that he might want to confuse and enrage Apple fans this weekend so they are not focused on Steve's upcoming announcements.

Bill Gates was reportedly acting on behalf of Michael Dell, in retaliation for Apple's refusal to license stock hardware designs.

Further investigation has revealed C|Net was paid a sum of $150,000 to publish this story as a news piece.
  • Reply 143 of 433
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Quote:

originally posted by webmail: Steve's legacy will be big ;-)

Steve's legacy already IS big.
  • Reply 144 of 433
    PEOPLE LEARN TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER OK NOW QUESTION STEVE JOB

HAS ACOMPANY CALLED PIXAR ,WHAT KIND OF SERVER HE HAS ?

NOW THE POWERFUL G-4 WICH I STILL HAVE LOVE AND HATE .WE LIVE IN A EVER CHANGING WORLD AND CONSIDERING THE OS SYSTEM ,HARDWARE

SORTFWARE AND THE NEED FOR MORE SPEED AND THE MULTI TASK THAT WE WANT FROM A SIMPLE MACHINE MAYBE STEVE JOB IS THE MESSIAH AND EVERYTHING YOU DREAM IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN NOW IMAGINE IF YOU WILL

WHAT WONDERFUL THINGS CAN THIS CHANGE AND WHAT NOT SO WONDERFUL THINGS TOO SO PEOLPE ANSWER THE QUESTION AND YOU MAY OR MAY NOT LIVE EVER HAPPY
  • Reply 145 of 433
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Brilliant stuff ...
  • Reply 146 of 433
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by studiotoo

NOW THE POWERFUL G-4 WICH I STILL HAVE LOVE AND HATE .WE LIVE IN A EVER CHANGING WORLD AND CONSIDERING THE OS SYSTEM ,HARDWARE

SORTFWARE AND THE NEED FOR MORE SPEED AND THE MULTI TASK THAT WE WANT FROM A SIMPLE MACHINE MAYBE STEVE JOB IS THE MESSIAH AND EVERYTHING YOU DREAM IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN NOW IMAGINE IF YOU WILL

WHAT WONDERFUL THINGS CAN THIS CHANGE AND WHAT NOT SO WONDERFUL THINGS TOO SO PEOLPE ANSWER THE QUESTION AND YOU MAY OR MAY NOT LIVE EVER HAPPY

Dear studiotoo,

Please consider a remedial online etiquette class at your earliest convenience. Proper employment of grammar, punctuation and capitalization will lead to people actually bothering to read your drivel, and might even compell them to respond.

Thanks.
  • Reply 147 of 433
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

to which i say.... wtf mate ?
  • Reply 148 of 433
    unixpoetunixpoet Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

No it's not. Only partly. As is OS X.

STFU

POSIX is not an ABI. Linux, the BSDs, Solaris, Irix, etc are all Posix compliant.

You can have source portability and binary portability. POSIX is about source portability. There are other standards as well - check R. Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" for details.

Now stop spreading manure.
  • Reply 149 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Why are we up so late?
  • Reply 150 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by UnixPoet

STFU

POSIX is not an ABI. Linux, the BSDs, Solaris, Irix, etc are all Posix compliant.

You can have source portability and binary portability. POSIX is about source portability. There are other standards as well - check R. Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" for details.

Now stop spreading manure.

If you stopped sitting it your information would smell better.

The kernel is Posix compliant. But the distro's are not.

What some here forget is that there is no such thing as a Linux OS. That would like saying that there is a Mach OS because OS X has a Mach kernel.

The distro's are the OSes, and they are not fully Posix compliant.
  • Reply 151 of 433
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

melgross: 1, geneclean: 0

Because I let go, seeing as he/she doesn't really know what it means to be POSIX compliant, does not mean that she actually scored any point in this debate.

In any case, GNU/Linux is POSIX compliant and is the only OS that runs on as many as 10 different architectures.
  • Reply 152 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Because I let go, seeing as he/she doesn't really know what it means to be POSIX compliant, does not mean that she actually scored any point in this debate.

In any case, GNU/Linux is POSIX compliant and is the only OS that runs on as many as 10 different architectures.

He.

I actually do understand this. It's somewhat more complex that you seem to think it is.

GNU does a pretty good job at compliance, and they adhere to most of those standards, as does OS X. But as you can see from their own page, even though they define the Posix standards that they do adhere to, even they say that;

"In general the GNU C library supports the ISO C and POSIX standards."

In general

http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/libc.html

As I've said, they do a pretty good job, but support is not complete. This doesn't mean that it won't be in the future.

Other distro's are less in compliance.
  • Reply 153 of 433
    apparatusapparatus Posts: 78member
    Quote:

. . . no . . . yes . . . water bottle . . . cleopatra . . . marlboro . . . Intel.

• Reply 154 of 433
    apparatusapparatus Posts: 78member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Why are we up so late?

Because this is like, the biggest news?err, rumour, like, ever.

Yeah.

• Reply 155 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

Because this is like, the biggest news?err, rumour, like, ever.

Yeah.

Well, maybe we should be allowed to vote on this.
  • Reply 156 of 433
    danielctulldanielctull Posts: 586member
    Don't flame me for this, I don't know all too much about processor architecture, but could Intel be building a Cell processor for Apple?

Bear in mind I don't know much about Cell other than it is "f***ing awesome" and that it needs to be modified (?) somehow to work good. Just throwing this out there as I haven't seen it mentioned.
  • Reply 157 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Don't flame me for this, I don't know all too much about processor architecture, but could Intel be building a Cell processor for Apple?

Bear in mind I don't know much about Cell other than it is "f***ing awesome" and that it needs to be modified (?) somehow to work good. Just throwing this out there as I haven't seen it mentioned.

There's been a lot of discussion about this on the tech sites such as Arstechnica.com. Check out articles by "Hannibal" and others.

I'm not sure if Intel would be able to do this though. It seems to be a Sony IBM thing.
  • Reply 158 of 433
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Quote:

Why do fuckheads like this only ever show up on AI?
  • Reply 159 of 433
    jaffijaffi Posts: 14member
    I think this is media fluffing to wrile up all us mac users. Get the rumor mills going and get us all crazy and confused. Then Steve will announce something about the Power6 crap and goodies about IBM's new direction. Intel has no reason to make deals with Apple. Apple doesn't generate enough sales for Intel to yawn at.
  • Reply 160 of 433
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

Why do fuckheads like this only ever show up on AI?

Go to Anandtech if you think some of this is bad. All it takes on most of the threads is to say that you are a Mac user...