Intel-based Macs coming soon?

1161718192022»

Comments

• Reply 421 of 433
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    anyone considered that Apple might be making a range of rather stylish Wintel PC's ???
  • Reply 422 of 433
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    I'm now going to say sorry for disputing this rumor - I was wrong!
  • Reply 423 of 433
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by concentricity

the "orient"?! seriously, have you been under a rock for the past 20 years?

Yes I have, under a BIG MacRock !!!

No its NOT Toshiba, Toshiba is a partner in CELL dev....

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/...p/t-34390.html

"According to eWeek, IBM has entered into an agreement with Infineon Technologies AG and Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing in efforts to reach 65-nm and later, 45-nm chips on 300-mm silicon wafers"

Its a spinoff from Siemens, a German multinational.

In the other direction but still costs are spiraling up, to many hands in the pie !!!

The Orient...

The Orient...

The Orient...

The Orient...

AND YOU PREFER ???
  • Reply 424 of 433
  • Reply 425 of 433
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDave

Just try, to talk Adobe and Quark into developing two Mac versions of their apps.

Quote from Adobe: ?We think this is a really smart move on Apple?s part and plan to create future versions of our Creative Suite for Macintosh that support both PowerPC and Intel processors,? said Bruce Chizen, CEO of Adobe.

It looks like Steve already did the talking, and that's good. The only thing that will keep sales of PPC Macs from taking a nose dive is assurance that both versions of Applications will be available for a VERY long time. Like I said, a DVD has enough capacity for two versions of most applications.
  • Reply 426 of 433
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    10 hours past !!!
  • Reply 427 of 433
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Agreed. I can't think of a compelling reason for the switch.

I can, Pentium M. There's nothing to compete with it on the PowerPC side. Hell there's nothing to compete with it on the x86 side!
  • Reply 428 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

Oh, c'mon. It was a joke. Get it? If you had been earlier, it wouldn't have been 30 minutes to keynote? You were spot on at 12:30.

By the way, I'm hoping you were joking too.

I just got back here after trying all day

I was joking if you were joking.
  • Reply 429 of 433
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

I can, Pentium M. There's nothing to compete with it on the PowerPC side. Hell there's nothing to compete with it on the x86 side!

Is this some promising new technology from Intel? I'm sure I have lots to learn about the Intel roadmap, having never paid much attention.
  • Reply 430 of 433
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,579member
    Quote:

Is this some promising new technology from Intel? I'm sure I have lots to learn about the Intel roadmap, having never paid much attention.

The M's are pretty good. Those and the new D series.
  • Reply 431 of 433
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

They're Intel's low power laptop chips, part of the centrino platform. They really are quite brilliant and given they will probably be the basis for Intel's replacement for the PIV I'm actually pretty pleased. Late 2006 Intel should be well and truly recovered from its current misstep so isn't a bad time for Apple to be jumping on board.

Pentium Ms really can have some impressive performance characteristics.