Quote:

Rosetta does not run the following:

- Applications built for Mac OS 8 or 9

- Code written specifically for AltiVec

- Code that inserts preferences in the System Preferences pane

- Applications that require a G4 or G5 processor

- Applications that depend on one or more kernel extensions

- Kernel extensions

- Bundled Java applications or Java applications with JNI libraries that can't be translated

Very lame IMHO.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    So what does it run? I can't think of anything!
  • Reply 2 of 56
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

So what does it run? I can't think of anything!

Almost anything a G3 iBook can run that doesn't tamper at the kernel level or rely on Classic. From the speed Photoshop loaded and did a filter in Steve's demo, I'd say his 3.6GHz Pentium was emulating at the level of a 1-1.5GHz G4 Powerbook which isn't bad for most apps. For most purposes, I'd consider Rosetta G4-level emulation performance without the Altivec.

• Reply 3 of 56
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Uh Oh this doesnt look good at all....

Some form of Altivec emulation or replacement hardware will be vital for Intel Mac's otherwise they will be lame ducks....
  • Reply 4 of 56
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Name an app that doesn't run on Rosetta. Please. I can't think of any.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Uh Oh this doesnt look good at all....

Some form of Altivec emulation or replacement hardware will be vital for Intel Mac's otherwise they will be lame ducks....

But the applications that rely the most on G4 and G5 processors are those of industry players, which, like Adobe and WolframResearch, will have their versions running well before the first Intel Mac ships.
  • Reply 6 of 56
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    So it's basically useless?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

But the applications that rely the most on G4 and G5 processors are those of industry players, which, like Adobe and WolframResearch, will have their versions running well before the first Intel Mac ships.

I was think principly of digital Audio, you can assume that Logic will be ready (v.8 probably) but the others? Pro-tools in particular will be hard hit by this, I'd be willing to bet they even drop OSX support altogether......
  • Reply 8 of 56
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

So it's basically useless?

Yes, it's basically useless.

Unless you live in the real world, in which case it'll be fine.

Sheesh.

Apps that rely on AltiVec are... what? Right, pro apps. Who is going to move to Intel quickly? Pro apps. Who is going to use the new autovectorization in gcc to get most of the way there with a nice little recompile? Pro apps.

Who doesn't use AltiVec? Everyone else. Who uses AltiVec, but not directly? QuickTime apps. Will those be ported? Duh, done by Apple. Will the app code have to change? Nope.

The FUD, it is thick.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

I was think principly of digital Audio, you can assume that Logic will be ready (v.8 probably) but the others? Pro-tools in particular will be hard hit by this, I'd be willing to bet they even drop OSX support altogether......

Disagree. Ever written to AltiVec? Most of it is done now through libraries.

Reimplement the library back ends on MMX, the app code doesn't have to change. Huzzah!

Yeah, some folks are going to be peeved. They'll be few IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    cj171cj171 Posts: 144member
    keep in mind that important apps that take advantage of altivec and g5 processors will be already recompiled (apple's pro suites and adobe apps for example) for intel by the time it comes out. rosetta is for the smaller developers that can't afford the dev system to convert their code to intel or universal by the time the intels come out

stop FUDding yourself, mac community
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

keep in mind that important apps that take advantage of altivec and g5 processors will be already recompiled (apple's pro suites and adobe apps for example) for intel by the time it comes out. rosetta is for the smaller developers that can't afford the dev system to convert their code to intel or universal by the time the intels come out

stop FUDding yourself, mac community

OK fair enough, lets all calm down!!

I know a few people who will be very pissed by this, for instance Native Instruments have just rewritten Kontakt with a whole bunch of Altivec optimisations......
  • Reply 12 of 56
    gameguy56gameguy56 Posts: 28member
    so rosetta won't run classic?
  • Reply 13 of 56
    classic is finally being put to rest it seems...some important programs only run on classic, but most people will be able to survive without them i can imagine...also, if they can emulate ppc reasonably well, i would think they could probably work in a classic emulator easily (older and lower powered machines that ran classic could easily be emulated on next gen pentiums)
  • Reply 14 of 56
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Almost anything a G3 iBook can run that doesn't tamper at the kernel level or rely on Classic.

A lot of people don't understand that 99% of Mac OS 10 applications run on G3 class Macs, therefore 99% of Mac OS 10 applications will be supported by Rosetta. It should be repeated. Often.
  • Reply 15 of 56
    that's what i'm on and i really haven't run into anything that my good ol' g3 book can't handle...well...h.264 is pushing it, but that'll be a intel-native version of quicktime, so no problem
  • Reply 16 of 56
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    JUST BECAUSE ROSETTA DOESNT RUN IT NOW DOSNT MEAN IT WONT RUN IT. THE ONLY PEOPLE HAVING TO WORRY ABOUT IT NOW IS THE DEVEOLOPERS WITH THE DEV. KIT. PLUS, APPLE MAY HAVE MADE A SPECIAL VERSION OF ROSETTA JUST FOR MACS.

phewph...just had to get that out of my system
  • Reply 17 of 56
    Wheeeeeeeeeee!

I think this is the first time we've needed a *POST* Keynote Insanity forum.
  • Reply 18 of 56
    mandricardmandricard Posts: 486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cj171

classic is finally being put to rest it seems...some important programs only run on classic, but most people will be able to survive without them i can imagine...also, if they can emulate ppc reasonably well, i would think they could probably work in a classic emulator easily (older and lower powered machines that ran classic could easily be emulated on next gen pentiums)

Out of curiosity, what, important or "niche" apps (other than Fontographer), is only a classic app and hasn't been ported? (And there is a new font creation tool out there).

Call me ignorant, if you would like, but even Quark is on the X wagon now.

H.S.E.,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Dark Castle!

No, wait...

Um...

Oh! Fool's Errand!
  • Reply 20 of 56
    Personally, I'm glad this will kill Classic. I never cared for it, even in it's heyday. But throwing Altivec out the window is really going to hurt. It is, honestly, pretty ugly for pro creative users.