Call the first Intel Mac product... (merged)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
prize to be determined...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    nevermind, seems to work now.

I think a cube redux may make sense, not sure that the iMac will survive the intel switch over
  • Reply 2 of 54
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    I think the possibility is strong that Apple will revamp their flagship lines first-- the Powermac & Powerbook, simultaneously. That makes the most sense to me.

Also, expect a name change... "Power" doesn't mean what it once did...
  • Reply 3 of 54
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    Gamblor,

I will be devastated, if they rename Powerbooks and Powermacs. The processor may be different, but those lines became a symbol, for Apple. I don't want the names changed.
  • Reply 4 of 54
    mithrasmithras Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

Also, expect a name change... "Power" doesn't mean what it once did...

PentiBook?

It will be interesting, given Apple's proclivity to name their machines after the chip within. Powerbook PM?

Oh, and I bet Apple does use generic x86 chipsets. That will be a major source of cost savings.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    They'll definitely remove the Power. Maybe call them MacBook and MacTower (McDonald's may sue them!). The low-end stuff will change the slowest, since PPC holdovers will be the poor stepchildren.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Anyone think the new MacIntel boxes will get a new startup chime? My bet is no.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

They'll definitely remove the Power. Maybe call them MacBook and MacTower (McDonald's may sue them!). The low-end stuff will change the slowest, since PPC holdovers will be the poor stepchildren.

I'm not sure about that-- Intel offers a whole range of chips & it's entirely possible that we'll see dual core Xeons (preferably two of 'em) in the top end Powermac replacements, ranging all the way down to single core Pentium M chips in the iBook & Mac mini. At any rate, from a hardware (and especially Apple's) perspective, this transition should be pretty easy, if Apple uses off-the-shelf chipsets. I'd be surprised if Apple takes the entire year to convert their line to Intel chips. I think there's a good chance that before September & the back-to-school rush it'll be over & done with.

On a bit of a side note, dual core Yonahs in Powerbook replacements look pretty damn nice. Look at Dell's Latitude X1-- weighs 2.8 lbs., has a 12" widescreend display, and a 6 hour battery life. ...and just imagine: Apple's version would be something that doesn't look like ass.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Powermac.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    voxappsvoxapps Posts: 236member
    Apple used the name "PowerBook" long before there was a PowerPC processor.
  • Reply 10 of 54
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    powerbook followed by a powermac card before wwdc 2006!

Then the prieview of Leopard and the full transition to Intel by jan 07

hold on kids it will be an interesting 18 months.

An apple tablet will be a great little widget just in time for the school year.

And a way to show off the new Intel collaberation.

oh my.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

Apple used the name "PowerBook" long before there was a PowerPC processor.

Yeah, that's true. That's a pretty good argument for the names sticking around. Besides, they've got good brand recognition with those names at this point.
  • Reply 12 of 54
    thttht Posts: 5,451member
    Dual-core Powerbook baby.

My 500 MHz iBook, 256 MB RAM, is long past retirement, but it will need to last another year. I probably should get that 512 MB SO-DIMM soon. It couldn't even view the WWDC webcast. Poor geezer.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Mac mini -> iBook -> PowerBook -> eMac -> iMac -> PowerMac
  • Reply 14 of 54
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Yep, on the button.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

Why Update the Powermacs last? It makes no sense. If anything the iBook, iMac, and eMac will be last to be updated. Powerbooks will def come first, as this was one of the main reasons for the switchover.
  • Reply 16 of 54
    wormboywormboy Posts: 220member
    Why powermacs last? Because the 970MP will make an appearance first. And frankly, it will be better than the x86 at this time. Two years is enough time for the major PM upgrade to the 970MP and a minor speed bump, before the PPC is deprecated in that line in favor of the x86 solution (whatever that will be 2 years hence).

And the lack of the 3 Ghz PPC last summer was only one of the two reasons cited as impetus to switch. The other was the absence of a G5 laptop (units of performance per watt arguement). And frankly, given that laptop sales in the US exceeded desktop slaes this quarter for the first time ever, the lack of a G5 powerbook is a much more valid excuse than the lack of a 3.6 GHz G5 PM today.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    spyderspyder Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wormboy

Why powermacs last? Because the 970MP will make an appearance first. And frankly, it will be better than the x86 at this time. Two years is enough time for the major PM upgrade to the 970MP and a minor speed bump, before the PPC is deprecated in that line in favor of the x86 solution (whatever that will be 2 years hence).

And the lack of the 3 Ghz PPC last summer was only one of the two reasons cited as impetus to switch. The other was the absence of a G5 laptop (units of performance per watt arguement). And frankly, given that laptop sales in the US exceeded desktop slaes this quarter for the first time ever, the lack of a G5 powerbook is a much more valid excuse than the lack of a 3.6 GHz G5 PM today.

Any talk of the MP is speculation at this point. It could make an appearance next month for all you know.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I bet we see 970MP in a PowerMac before they switch them to Intel though. Steve did say they have some pretty impressive PowerPC stuff still to come. We know it ain't a damn PowerBook G5....
  • Reply 19 of 54
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

nevermind, seems to work now. I think a cube redux may make sense, not sure that the iMac will survive the intel switch over

Ohh, Come on!! Maybe not the eMac, but a winning switchover product gone just because of a chip change? I don't think so.
  • Reply 20 of 54
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    For what it's worth, the Wall Street Journal article said that Apple would move the Mac Mini to Intel first, and the PowerMac last.