G5 - The truth

Comments

• Reply 421 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>But Jobs will make an ass out of himself by hyping the 1 GHz mark. </strong><hr></blockquote>

you said it JYD. if steve-o shows up with a single GHZ G4 he will be buried right there on the stage by a huge swell a of rotting fruit!!! (apples anyone??)

so... if he shows up on monday wearing a knight´s armament we´ll know what to expect in the very first second.
  • Reply 422 of 489
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 394member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Hate to say this, but Moki is pretty damn convincing, and he is in a position to know. However, it's still possible that the secret is to tightly kept for even Moki to hear about it. We'll see soon enough.

My guess is the following:

Powermac G4:

867 MHz

1000 MHz

Dual 933 MHz

That's it. But Jobs will make an ass out of himself by hyping the 1 GHz mark. </strong><hr></blockquote>

JYD - You are so right IF YOUR PREDICTION IS CORRECT. But my bet is that your prediction will be blown away on Monday.

However .... if your prediction is correct, we'll be blown away by some other products. (Is that covering myself, or what?)
  • Reply 423 of 489
    God, I can't believe I waded thru this whole thread.

Anyway, FWIW, I'll give you some background on a few people in this thread:

Dorsal (or in this case Dorsal M) - is generally regarded by the old school AI as informed.

Powermac G4 (or Codename) - was, back in 2000, regarded as informed. He became more elusive when he was roundly criticized, and split for a while. Then he came back, but just mostly toyed with people. Personally, I love the new Nostradamus style codename.

Junkyard Dawg - has always been and always will be a pest with nothing to add informatively, just a vague grudge against Apple for not catering to his needs for a $99 computer that is bigger and badder than the other teenies on his block.

SdC, the old school IJ and ATV and dozens of others I can't remember, who was generally regarded as a jerk by some people, and occassionally funny, and who also had no inside information and was constantly wrong on his predictions
  • Reply 424 of 489
    [quote] JYD - You are so right IF YOUR PREDICTION IS CORRECT. But my bet is that your prediction will be blown away on Monday.

<hr></blockquote>

Please understand, I sincerely want Mr. Jobs to make an ass out of ME on Monday! I want to be blown away. But I'm not counting on it. In fact, I don't recall a single Macworld expo that has blown me away, or even surprised me.

Even when Apple announces a new product with the potential to blow me away, they always, always, fu[k it up in some way. For example:

Cube: it was the perfect headless iMac, but the price left me reeling. A cube at 999 would have floored me, and I would have bought one. Instead the cube made me alternate between laughing and crying.

Titanium: Definitely had the potential to blow me away, but glaring defects turned it into a disappointment: video card sucked, the motherboard was pitiful, and the CPU speed was no higher than the Pismo's. A full year later, the Titanium is the laptop that Apple SHOULD have released at MWSF 01.

iBook: I must admit that this ALMOST blew me away, because of it's value. But the tiny display and lack of audio input left me only impressed, and not "blown away".

So for this expo, I expect nothing different from recent expos. The new iMac will have one or more glaring flaws that make it ALMOST great (it's beginning to look like it will totally lack in value). The Powermacs will not offer anything exciting. The laptops probably won't be updated, or if they are, it will be with ultra-lame 100 MHz speed bumps. And finally, a digital device won't blow me away, because I don't need one. Paper and pencil work fine, and if I want computing power, than I'll get a laptop. Understand, Apple?
  • Reply 425 of 489
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    [quote]Originally posted by suckfuldotcom:

<strong>God, I can't believe I waded thru this whole thread.

Anyway, FWIW, I'll give you some background on a few people in this thread:

Dorsal (or in this case Dorsal M) - is generally regarded by the old school AI as informed.

Powermac G4 (or Codename) - was, back in 2000, regarded as informed. He became more elusive when he was roundly criticized, and split for a while. Then he came back, but just mostly toyed with people. Personally, I love the new Nostradamus style codename.

Junkyard Dawg - has always been and always will be a pest with nothing to add informatively, just a vague grudge against Apple for not catering to his needs for a $99 computer that is bigger and badder than the other teenies on his block.

SdC, the old school IJ and ATV and dozens of others I can't remember, who was generally regarded as a jerk by some people, and occassionally funny, and who also had no inside information and was constantly wrong on his predictions</strong><hr></blockquote>

My take:

PowerMac G4 might have been informed. But, he was also the most idiotic liberal I have ever seen.

Dorsal is informed indeed.

JD is entertaining in the least. But, he wants what I want...a decent pro machine for a decent price, not one that lacks specs and costs a fortune.

I have been here since Feb 2000 and not heard any of those other names....

Oh, and BTW, my predictions are based on nothing but the available info and rumor, and mixed with intuition.....and at the risk of sounding like an arrogant ass...they have been right most of the time (I blew the Pismo casing but I think we all expected a new enclosure on that one). I said no G5 and no new iMac at MWNY....and so on....

Once again:]EDITED AFTER FURTHER CONSIDERATION

PM G5

(Either 1.0-1.4GHZ or 1.2-1.6GHZ.)

60, 80, 100GB

1.2, 1.4, 1.6, Dual 1.4

DDR 266

Radeon 7500, Radeon 7500, Radeon 8500, and Geforce4 on top

Superdrive on all but bottom

Airport standard on 1.6 and dual 1.4.

$1699, $2499, $2999, $3499

I am also saying that the possibility of 1.0-1.4GHZ G4's exists. It is my second guess though. There are many possibilites if that happens..including dual procs on all but the bottom.

iMac

15" CRT, 15" LCD, 15" LCD

40, 60, 80GB

800ish MHZ G3, 933MHZ G4, 1GHZ G4 (approx speeds)

CDRW, CDRW/DVD, SuperDrive

PC133

$799, $1299, $1599

Leftovers of old iMacs sold for awhile....probably in Education....$599-799

ibook: Speed Bump at MWTKO

PowerBook: Tough one. I'll say...Apollo G4 @MWTKO (867, 933).

iPod: No change other than possible software update.

iPhoto: Free Download

Various other software announcements, updates on sales, etc...

"One More Thing": I will confess to not knowing what to say here. But, I am not convinced of a new digital device. Overall, though, the possibilites (in order of likelihood) are:

1) Some type of long range AirPort.

2) DVD/CD/.mp3/Tivo box with Airport. Plays and records DVD's like a VCR. Plays .mp3's through your home stereo.

3) OSX on x86

4) iNewton---That's right. I think OSX on x86 is more likely. Steve Jobs himself has all but denied it.

5) Merger/Buyout with Sony/Disney.

There is another possibility. That being, no digital device. Instead, I think it is possible that the breakthrough might be ridiculous G5 clock speeds. I am talking about 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 GHZ...or higher.

If they released something like that there would be a whole lot of "Holy Shit" threads around here.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 426 of 489
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    If the G5 is not released until summer, I've been thinking that the jump from a single processer G4 at approx. 1.2GHz to a G5 at the same (or higher) frequency is going to be tremendous. So, is it possible Apple could release all dual processer G4's with DDR at this MWSF '02 so the jump in processer power when the G5 is finally released won't be too dramatic? Maybe...

Just some random thoughts.

- Mark
  • Reply 427 of 489
    renanrenan Posts: 49member
    What I was trying to state is that Motorola had a PowerPC in their Laboratory at 2 GHz / Year 2000 over One Year Ago....This is 2002...Are you saying

that Motorola being Top-notch cannot produce a processor over 1.6 Ghz?For that matter a G-5?We are talking about Multi- Billion Dollar Companies.

So, it is not available because the technology is not there???This is the U.S we are talking about.

Not Honduras.
  • Reply 428 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Renan:

<strong>What I was trying to state is that Motorola had a PowerPC in their Laboratory at 2 GHz / Year 2000 over One Year Ago....This is 2002...Are you saying

that Motorola being Top-notch cannot produce a processor over 1.6 Ghz?For that matter a G-5?We are talking about Multi- Billion Dollar Companies.

So, it is not available because the technology is not there???This is the U.S we are talking about.

Not Honduras.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly. The problems were not in design but in Fab. The tech is there...I really think some serious ass kickin' speeds could be a'comin'
  • Reply 429 of 489
    [quote] Junkyard Dawg - has always been and always will be a pest with nothing to add informatively, just a vague grudge against Apple for not catering to his needs for a $99 computer that is bigger and badder than the other teenies on his block.

<hr></blockquote>

You don't even know me, bitch.

I offer some damn good insight here, more than I've seen coming from you. You post some dumb-ass threads on handheld crap that you dream about so you can show off to your friends...am I getting warm?

I own a Powermac G4 400MHz, and I have no plans on upgrading anytime soon, because my Powermac is fine for my needs. In fact when I bought it, it was a discontinued model, so I got it for only $1100. Pretty good deal, huh? And no, I'm sorry to say that this doesn't dovetail very well with your accusations of me wanting the biggest, baddest computer on the block.

If Apple released 1.6 GHz G5s, I wouldn't buy one until a year later, when I could get a good deal on a discontinued model, and the new G5s were at 2 Ghz.

I'm interested in value, not raw performance. I'm not cheap, otherwise I would have bought an iMac.

Finally, I have a grudge against Apple for ripping people off with lame-ass hardware. That's it. I love OS X.

Of interesting note, is that unless I'm provoked I don't get bitchy about other posters here. You, on the other hand, are a mean person. And mean people suck.
  • Reply 430 of 489
    bullshit. you are just a poor man's excuse to attempt some sort of neo-populism here at AI to cover your pitiful shortcomings as a human being IRL.

SdC
  • Reply 431 of 489
    alexisalexis Posts: 82member
    I believe they are coming, and will be disappointed if they are not...maybe I'm setting myself up for a big letdown, but that's just my feeling.

--Alexis
  • Reply 432 of 489
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by SDW2001:

PM G5

Either 1 to 1.4 GHZ or 1.2 to 1.6 GHZ

60, 80, 100GB

Dual on top end.

DDR 266

Radeon 7500, Radeon 8500

SuperDrive on all.

I am also saying that the possibility of 1.0-1.4GHZ G4's exists. It is my second guess though.

iMac

15" LCD and 15" CRT for low end

800MHZ G3, 900MHZ G3, 1.0GHZ G4 (7450)

40, 60, 80GB

CD-RW, CD-RW/DVD, SuperDrive

PC 133

Leftovers of old iMacs sold for awhile....probably in Education....

ibook: Speed Bump at MWTKO

PowerBook: Tough one. I'll say...Apollo G4 @MWTKO (867, 933).

iPod: No change other than possible software update.

iPhoto: Free Download

Various other software announcements, updates on sales, etc...

"One More Thing": I will confess to not knowing what to say here. But, I am not convinced of a new digital device. Overall, though, the possibilites (in order of likelihood) are:

1) Some type of long range AirPort.

2) DVD/CD/.mp3/Tivo box with Airport. Plays and records DVD's like a VCR. Plays .mp3's through your home stereo.

3) OSX on x86

4) iNewton---That's right. I think OSX on x86 is more likely. Steve Jobs himself has all but denied it.

5) Merger/Buyout with Sony/Disney.

There is another possibility. That being, no digital device. Instead, I think it is possible that the breakthrough might be ridiculous G5 clock speeds. I am talking about 2.0, 2.2 and 2.4 GHZ...or higher.

If they released something like that there would be a whole lot of "Holy Shit" threads around here.

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]<hr></blockquote>

Good predictions. I have a few questions/comments:

PMG5:

When you say "dual on top end", do you mean the middle chip dual and the high end single? (like now) Or the fastest chip dual?

The Radeons I think will be BTO if the GeForce 4 is demoed "first for the mac" again. If not, you are probably right. I'd say 50% chance of this happening.

I feel that the super drive will only be on the top 2 models IF there is no superdrive in the iMac. If there is a superdrive iMac, then we will see superdrive accross the board (like you have it)

iMacs:

I think the middle model will be 866 or 933 not 900. Also there is a good chance it will be G4, unless Apple really wants to give the high end model a huge price increase over the middle model.

The high end will have an apollo G4. It is cheaper and cooler (temp, not cool although that applies as well...).

If there is a superdrive, there will NOT be a slot-loading drive accross the line, for better or worse. (I personally don't like them.)

iBook

There is a chance that high end iBook will get an 8x combo-drive, although if you are going to update one, why not update all of them in MWTKO?

One more thing?

NO WAY OS X is ported to intel chips.

I'd switch #4 and #5, with all this hype, a merger or partnership is more likely then the iPDA.

I'd also add the Tablet in there at #3 too.

Other then these minor qualms, I'd say you have some very nice predictions. I hope you are right!

-Paul

P.S. Why didn't you speculate about price?
  • Reply 433 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by jwdawso:

<strong>

JYD - You are so right IF YOUR PREDICTION IS CORRECT. </strong><hr></blockquote>

And if the Pirates had won all the games they wom and won all the games they lost, they would have won a lot of games.

BTW, you gotta give JYD some credit...he knows who to get himself known. If he stopped posting I guarantee there would be a thread in two weeks "where is JYD?" Now if I or 80% of the other poster here stopped posting, no one would even notice.
  • Reply 434 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by psantora:

<strong>

Good predictions. I have a few questions/comments:

PMG5:

When you say "dual on top end", do you mean the middle chip dual and the high end single? (like now) Or the fastest chip dual?

The Radeons I think will be BTO if the GeForce 4 is demoed "first for the mac" again. If not, you are probably right. I'd say 50% chance of this happening.

I feel that the super drive will only be on the top 2 models IF there is no superdrive in the iMac. If there is a superdrive iMac, then we will see superdrive accross the board (like you have it)

iMacs:

I think the middle model will be 866 or 933 not 900. Also there is a good chance it will be G4, unless Apple really wants to give the high end model a huge price increase over the middle model.

The high end will have an apollo G4. It is cheaper and cooler (temp, not cool although that applies as well...).

If there is a superdrive, there will NOT be a slot-loading drive accross the line, for better or worse. (I personally don't like them.)

iBook

There is a chance that high end iBook will get an 8x combo-drive, although if you are going to update one, why not update all of them in MWTKO?

One more thing?

NO WAY OS X is ported to intel chips.

I'd switch #4 and #5, with all this hype, a merger or partnership is more likely then the iPDA.

I'd also add the Tablet in there at #3 too.

Other then these minor qualms, I'd say you have some very nice predictions. I hope you are right!

-Paul

P.S. Why didn't you speculate about price?</strong><hr></blockquote>

1. I would go with the duals being the middle MHZ speed....let me amend that prediction, it could be: 1.2, 1.4, 1.6, 1.4 dual (four models instead of three)....I'm going to change that now.

2. Radeons...who knows. To be honest it is a minor point with me. I do think Steve is forgiving ATI as we speak though.

3. Agreed on SuperDrive.

4. 866 and 933 if 133MHZ BUS and RAM. Your probably right. I think it is, again, a minor point. Either way, those approx. speeds are what is needed.

5. Apollo: Probably right. In fact, a PM G5 would strengthen the case for all but the bottom iMac getting a G4....I'm going to change that as well.

6. "If there is a superdrive, there will NOT be a slot-loading drive accross the line, for better or worse. (I personally don't like them.)"

---Not sure about that. There might be....with the expcetion of the SD itself.

7. "There is a chance that high end iBook will get an 8x combo-drive, although if you are going to update one, why not update all of them in MWTKO?"

---No drive improvement IMO. Speed boost and possible colors.

8. One MoreThing: Well, by the time we get to number 4 and 5 I don't think the order matters anymore. Still mildly disagree though. OSX on Intel could happen....though I doubt it. That is why it so far down.

9. Price: See edit above in about 5 mins....

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: SDW2001 ]</p>
  • Reply 435 of 489
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    do people still think that Dorsal M was full of crap when he was talking about a hardware map, as well as secret meetings as to the new apple hardware?

stop and think about how much they're hyping this expo. this hype goes well beyond the norm, and fits in to place perfectly with what Dorsal M was saying weeks ago. the behavior he was talking about at apple was very unusual and we all thought he was full of crap for it.

now it looks like his strange info about apple's behavior falls right into place with their current hype.

something to think about considering he gave us that info more than a month ago.

-alcimedes
  • Reply 436 of 489
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    I have hopes for a G5 but I am not figuring it will happen.

Anything short of a 1.4 GHZ G4 would be a disaster.

Here is what I would like to see.

1 GHZ, 1.2 GHZ, 1.4 GHZ G4's

256, 256, 512 MB ram

60, 80, 100 GB HD's

Super drive (combo likely), super drive, superdrive

Ge Force 2 MX, Ge Force 2 MX, Ge Force 3

400 MHZ bus

DDR ram

Fire Wire 2

New case design

$1699.00, 2499.00, 3299.00

No duals due to not having enough chips.
  • Reply 437 of 489
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    One would think Dorsal M would be saying something about now as well....
  • Reply 438 of 489
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>do people still think that Dorsal M was full of crap when he was talking about a hardware map, as well as secret meetings as to the new apple hardware?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nothing Dorsal said tells us whether the G5, or even high speed G4s, will be announced tomorrow. What he does say is actually a bit more interesting -- Apple is working on substantial architectural changes. Again, nothing about this MW. The technical details he gives aren't out-of-line, but they also aren't highly detailed so its hard to nitpick.

I have no reason to doubt everything posted by Dorsal M in this thread (3 messages, I think?). We know Apple & Moto have been working on the G5 for a couple of years, and we know that the Apollo is coming soon. DDR memory is expected, as well as changes to the available I/O systems. None of this is surprising. Even the re-posted messages from earlier this year are reasonable -- it is widely thought that Apple pulled back at the last minute from a much more substantive update to the PowerMac line.

At least one person criticized because they couldn't believe he wouldn't know about secret prototypes, and then suddenly would know about them. Clearly that person hasn't worked in the corporate environment with NDA and "need to know" situations -- it happens all the time.

Dorsal M's messages are interesting and may very well be accurate. Do they tell us anything about tomorrow's Stevenote? No. Does whatever Apple is hyping have to be about the machines Dorsal M has written? No. Apple has an R&D pipeline and there is always stuff in testing that isn't ready to come to market yet. Does the fact that Dorsal M hasn't posted anything else mean anything? Other than that he might be put off by all the crap in this thread, no.

Did this reply add any content to this thread? Probably not.
  • Reply 439 of 489
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    haha. So what are you saying then Programmer?
  • Reply 440 of 489
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    (Bump!)

So Trinity has re-arisen!! (Cube technology apparently used for the new iMac; see <a href="http://www.timecanada.com"; target="_blank">Time Canada</a>)

Um, so now what? Dolphin?

Screed

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: sCreeD ]</p>