Briefly: IBM left in the dark, Nokia developing Safari-based browser

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
IBM left in the Cold till Final Moments

Several executives close to the last-minute dealings between Apple and IBM said that "Mr. Jobs waited until the last moment - 3 p.m. on Friday, June 4 - to inform Big Blue" that it was switching to Intel chips, reports the New York Times.

"Those executives said that IBM had learned about Apple's negotiations with Intel from news reports and that Apple had not returned phone calls in recent weeks," the report says.

While Jobs has publicly stated that performance issues related to IBM's PowerPC chips were the main motives behind the switch, Big Blue told the Times that pricing was a central issue.

"In the end, Mr. Jobs was given no choice but to move his business to Intel, when IBM executives said that without additional Apple investment they were unwilling to pursue the faster and lower-power chips he badly needs for his laptop business."

In 2004, Jobs also reportedly met in California with both Nobuyuki Idei, the chief executive of Sony, and Kenichi Kutaragi, the creator of the Sony PlayStation, to discuss the possibility of adopting IBM's Cell processor, which destined for Sony's PlayStation 3.

However, Mr. Jobs passed on the idea, telling Mr. Kutaragi that he was disappointed with the Cell design, which he believes will be even less effective than the PowerPC.

Nokia Developing Mobile Browser Based on Safari

On a totally separate subject, Nokia said on Monday it is developing a mobile browser for its Series 60 smartphone software in cooperation with Apple.

"A key component of this development has been Nokia's cooperation with Apple, as the Series 60 browser will use the same open source components, WebCore and JavaScriptCore, that Apple uses in its popular Safari Internet browser," the Finnish telecoms equipment maker said on Monday.

"Based on KHTML and KJS from KDE's "Konqueror" open source project, this software has enabled Safari to achieve industry-leading features and performance. Nokia intends to continue its collaboration with Apple and actively participate in the open source community to further develop and enhance these components, contributing Nokia's expertise in mobility."

The new Series 60 browser will reportedly be available to all Series 60 licensees as a standard Series 60 application during the first half of 2006.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Another sign that Apple is taking on M$ in the software realm? Can't wait for Mac OS Mobile in a couple years...
  • Reply 2 of 39
    insliderinslider Posts: 86member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

IBM left in the Cold till Final Moments

Several executives close to the last-minute dealings between Apple and I.B.M. said that "Mr. Jobs waited until the last moment - 3 p.m. on Friday, June 4 - to inform Big Blue" that it was switching to Intel chips, reports the New York Times.

"Those executives said that I.B.M. had learned about Apple's negotiations with Intel from news reports and that Apple had not returned phone calls in recent weeks," the report says.

Not returning their calls...
  • Reply 3 of 39
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Hello, McFly, Hello? IBM promised the 3Mz 970 a year and a half ago. Now the say they need more money for there very late product. We should have a 3.75Mhz by now and a low power G5. No, I don't think so IBM.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:

On a totally separate subject, Nokia said on Monday it is developing a mobile browser for its Series 60 smartphone software in cooperation with Apple.

Is it a totally seperate subject? There have been stories about Intel and Nokia working together on WiMax, the long-range version of WiFi which is a technology that Apple popularized.

It seems to me that the move to Intel chips, the cooperation of Apple and Nokia on a mobile browser, and the cooperation of Nokia and Intel on advancing wireless technology (that Apple happens to have a great track record for successfully implementing) are not at all coincidental.

It seems that yet another cycle of revolution in the field of mobile communication is underway. And this time, Apple might get a proper piece of it.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Secretary: Sir, it's IBM on the phone... again.

Jobs: [waves his hands] <whisper>Tell them I'm not here.</whisper>

• Reply 6 of 39
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    How about persuading Nokia to start bundling QuickTime with their new mobile phones aswell?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Good call, but better yet, how about iTunes?8)
  • Reply 8 of 39
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

Is it a totally seperate subject? There have been stories about Intel and Nokia working together on WiMax, the long-range version of WiFi which is a technology that Apple popularized.

Yes, it is a totally separate subject. WiMax has nothing to do with anything related to switching to Intel, because Apple could still do WiMax with PowerPC chips.

They probably chose WebCore because (a) its written, (b) its small, as opposed to Gecko, (c) its already cross-platform so it may be easier to port, and (d) its FREE!
  • Reply 9 of 39
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Yes, it is a totally separate subject. WiMax has nothing to do with anything related to switching to Intel, because Apple could still do WiMax with PowerPC chips.

They probably chose WebCore because (a) its written, (b) its small, as opposed to Gecko, (c) its already cross-platform so it may be easier to port, and (d) its FREE!

I'm psyched...I want to see WebKit/Core everywhere. The last build pretty much confirms this is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) and most compliant rendering engine on the planet.

I want to see IE off everyone's computer in 2 years. Ok...it won't happen that way but I want to see WebKit grab at least 10% of the market.

Can't wait to see a WebKit browser for Windows and Linux.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SethMonster

Good call, but better yet, how about iTunes?8)

Well, since iTunes already uses QuickTime to playback both music and video--I'm not sure there is any need to include that aswell.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    From my understanding WiMx is not for your computer itself but as a last mile tool.

Instead of an ethernet cable to your Airport Base Station, it would receive a WiMax signal. Then from the Airport Base station a WiFi signal directly to your computer.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    This info confirmed that IBM was a dead end.

They where not motivated by making faster PowerPC : they asked money for it. With Intel there is no need to pay for the R&D.

In fact it seems that the G5 market was too small. IBM did not make money with it, and it cost too much for Apple.

Apple seems to be a professional switcher : let's expect that the next switch will be a long way in front of us.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

From my understanding WiMx is not for your computer itself but as a last mile tool.

Instead of an ethernet cable to your Airport Base Station, it would receive a WiMax signal. Then from the Airport Base station a WiFi signal directly to your computer.

It can be used either way, but more effectively and efficiently through a base station, true.

Heck, I'd love to see a WiMax handheld. Convenience of cell phone coverage, transfer speeds of a LAN. (Battery life of a P4 laptop running on AAs...)
  • Reply 14 of 39
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

Hello, McFly, Hello? IBM promised the 3Mz 970 a year and a half ago. Now the say they need more money for there very late product. We should have a 3.75Mhz by now and a low power G5. No, I don't think so IBM.

yeah and intel claimed by trends they would be at 6Ghz by now... no one anticipated advances to slow, but thats what happens.

If the switch to intel is supposed to increase rate of improvement i dont get it. intel has increased speeds by .4Ghz in the last year... ibm has increased about .5Ghz... this doesnt take into account that Intel Ghz are worth less than AMD or PPC on the same level. Intel is a bunch of garbage... IBM may have no 64 bit mobile processor, but niether does Intel. AMD has some (though it is power hungry). By Steves stupid reasons, they should have gone AMD. This is clearly over prices, his reasons hold no water, esspecially when you look at what PPC and AMD do. Intel probably offered price incentives and promises to devlop the line for Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yo ucan imagine that STeve got himself a good taste of present, near term and long term product/prospectus from each of the big players -- IBM, freescale, AMD and Intel.

They would look for 4 main areas:

1. Performance, current and projected

2. Performance/watt, current and projected

3. Supply reliability, demonstrated, and projected

4. Core business compatibility -- Market suitability.

That is, are the companies in question primarily interested in the same markets in which Apple is interested, or do they have other compelling business which overshadows Apple's core interestes.

. . .

They're all close on number 1, or close enough, with the exception of freescale, who might be closer in a few months.

Apple tells that Intel has a very compelling argument to make in area 2. We have no reason not to believe them. Freescale might also have something very compelling in this area, but that leads us to 3.

What is the demonstrated reliability of their suply ? Hasn't been good. It might get better, but that leads us to area 4. Even if the performance of the new freescale designs is a revelation, the temptation to stagnate is very high when your main business is sellign routers, engine controll units, control for workgroup printers etc etc... "computers" just aren't their main business, nor IBM's.

That's where the PPC players and AMD really fall down -- the combination of areas 3 and 4.

Price was never a consideration. When IBM tries to hold their R&D for ransom, that's a problem. When BOTH your primary suppliers are more interested in development of everything other than laptops and desktops, that's a really big problem.

In the business world we use the term competent bidders. Intel has a history of demonstrating competence (AND WILLINGNESS) in all areas relevant to Apple's business, and that's why we're switching. It has nothing to do with price, PPC never cost more per part, some of them were remarkably cheap...
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

I wasn't really talking about hardware. If Apple hadn't introduced AirPort, there would be no widespread usage of 802.11x, and, when it came to going to 54 Mbps, Apple's AirPort Extreme used 802.11g to maintain interoperability with the original AirPort (802.11b), Intel tried to pimp 802.11a. Well, little Apple kicked Intel's ass over this one.

Now that they are partners, I'm sure Intel is all ears to hear Apple's advice on how to make a technical standard popular.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It can be used either way, but more effectively and efficiently through a base station, true.

Heck, I'd love to see a WiMax handheld. Convenience of cell phone coverage, transfer speeds of a LAN. (Battery life of a P4 laptop running on AAs...)

Actually, in its current state, it can only be used with a fixed antenna basestation. It doesn't support roaming. So, its no good for a laptop if you're planning on, I don't know, moving it into another room.

Future versions are supposed to be working on these issues.

Oh, but a basestation is better anyway, as it provides you firewall, NAT, etc, that otherwise you'd have to handle on your computer for your network.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    macchinemacchine Posts: 295member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Nokia said on Monday it is developing a mobile browser for its Series 60 smartphone software in cooperation with Apple.

See I told you about this a couple days ago, Intel, Nokia, WiMax, and Apple software, hardware and media delivery !!!
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by MACchine

See I told you about this a couple days ago, Intel, Nokia, WiMax, and Apple software, hardware and media delivery !!!

Damn, that would be sweet. Sitting on the bus, with my mobile phone, and decide to dial up apple.com and download OS X.4.2 to my cell phone. Then go over to the apple store and buy myself a new iPod. Finally, head on over to Napster and listen to some of my music.

That's what I call living!
  • Reply 20 of 39
    mike12309mike12309 Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Yo ucan imagine that STeve got himself a good taste of present, near term and long term product/prospectus from each of the big players -- IBM, freescale, AMD and Intel.

They would look for 4 main areas:

1. Performance, current and projected

2. Performance/watt, current and projected

3. Supply reliability, demonstrated, and projected

4. Core business compatibility -- Market suitability.

That is, are the companies in question primarily interested in the same markets in which Apple is interested, or do they have other compelling business which overshadows Apple's core interestes.

. . .

intel is doing well on #1 and #2? Might want to tell the people at Toms Hardware, there benchtests indicate that AMD is faster, that AMD generate less watt/power and that intel run both unstable compared to AMD but also VERY hot. Their new dual core for example averaged 68C (when it wasnt failing) and AMD's ran 55C ... im tired of this nonsense talk that intel is great or even good. Have we all forgotten that intel has been falling behind in every way lately... and just because steve said "hey lets go to intel" they are now awesome? He went to intel because of the name and the supply. Not because of preformance, i guess apple will become more like a fancy luxary vechical with nothing under the hood.

They're all close on number 1, or close enough, with the exception of freescale, who might be closer in a few months.

Apple tells that Intel has a very compelling argument to make in area 2. We have no reason not to believe them. Freescale might also have something very compelling in this area, but that leads us to 3.

What is the demonstrated reliability of their suply ? Hasn't been good. It might get better, but that leads us to area 4. Even if the performance of the new freescale designs is a revelation, the temptation to stagnate is very high when your main business is sellign routers, engine controll units, control for workgroup printers etc etc... "computers" just aren't their main business, nor IBM's.

That's where the PPC players and AMD really fall down -- the combination of areas 3 and 4.

Price was never a consideration. When IBM tries to hold their R&D for ransom, that's a problem. When BOTH your primary suppliers are more interested in development of everything other than laptops and desktops, that's a really big problem.

In the business world we use the term competent bidders. Intel has a history of demonstrating competence (AND WILLINGNESS) in all areas relevant to Apple's business, and that's why we're switching. It has nothing to do with price, PPC never cost more per part, some of them were remarkably cheap...