Apple to refresh retail copies of Tiger with 10.4.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Computer this month is expected to update its retail copies of Mac OS X 10.4 to includ the first two maintenance releases to the Tiger operating system, ensuring that all new customers obtain the most stable and reliable version of Mac OS X directly out of the box.

The company's online store in Canada is already listing for sale the current version of Mac OS X as "OS X V10.4.2 'Tiger' Retail," although the latest official release remains at 10.4.1. Developers contacted by AppleInsider also said they are expecting to receive Mac OS X 10.4.2 on optical media -- something Apple did not offer with the release of Mac OS X 10.4.1 last month.

Mac OS X 10.4.2, which is due for release from the company this week, will reportedly deliver over 80 fixes and enhancements to Tiger, in addition to those included with Mac OS X 10.4.1.

Among the many fixes expected in the release are Finder updates to finding by kind and using Slideshow, updatedÂ*ATI and NVIDIA graphics drivers, and improved autologin for managed user accounts.

Other areas of change will reportedly improve user experiences with AirPort and wireless access, iDisk synching, installation reliability, and file sharingÂ*using AFP and SMB/CIFS network file services.

The release is also rumored to deliver enhancements to Address Book, Automator, Core Graphics, Core Audio, Core Image, iCal, iChat, Mail, Safari, andÂ*Stickies.

Sources tell AppleInsider that Mac OS X 10.4.2 will likely arrive in two versions: a 42MB Delta release containing only the changes made since Mac OS X 10.4.1, and a 55MB Combo update that will pack all the enhancements made to Tiger since its inaugural release on April 29th.

According to reports already present on several Internet sites, Apple over the weekend provided its developers with Mac OS X 10.4.2 build 8C29, which at the time contained no known bugs.

Still, it's rumored that Apple continues to work on Mac OS X 10.4.2 this week and is considering builds from the 8C3x milestone as final candidates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    cool
  • Reply 2 of 37
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    This is good news ... I haven't upgraded my 2.5 G5 to Tiger yet as I've been waiting for a few updates to 10.4. It's good to know that when I purchase Tiger, I'll have at least 10.4.2 right out oof the box and hopefully, it will make the transition much smoother.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    "80 fixes"

What, no "four score fixes".
  • Reply 4 of 37
    How about 0.556 gross or six-and-two-thirds dozen changes?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm waiting for 10.4.2 (and then some "all's well" reports on it) too.

it's good that Apple will be updating the out-of-box OS. Especially for modem users.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    fcotefcote Posts: 3member
    Can we expect this problems fixed?

Mac OS X

- Be able to search invisible files (Apple-F)

- Be able to hide Startup Items applications

Mac OS X Server

- Be able to create a A Record for a root domain in the DNS Service

I have some more but this one are major.

A good one fix reported is multiple iChat AIM login.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Would be nice of 10.4.2 improved the speed of things. My lappy was screaming with Panther, but since I installed Tiger it feels like I have 256MB RAM again.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Is it common for the patched version to be in the retail packages so quickly?

If not, maybe Apple is aware how disgracefully buggy the first two version were.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    I just ordered Tiger today and my order detail says:

"OS X V10.4.2 "TIGER" RETAIL-INT"

So I guess its not only Canadian store.

It also says that it will ship "on or before June 13th"
  • Reply 10 of 37
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fcote

Mac OS X

You can hide applications at startup already.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    10.4.0, 10.4.1 are Release Canidates

10.4.2 is the Retail Release.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Um, that feature is already present. Set the criteria to "Visibility" and select "Visible and Invisible".
  • Reply 13 of 37
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Quote:

Mac OS X

You can already search for invisible files: In the search criteria go to other, and from there choose 'visibility'.

And has already been stated, you can hide login items simply by going to System Preferences->Accounts->Login Items and clicking on the checkbox in the "Hide" column.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    i'd like apple or someone else to release a spotlight plug-in to index media as it's mounted, and then be able to specify searches of indexes (indices?) of offline media. that would be killer.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NaturalElement

I just ordered Tiger today and my order detail says:

"OS X V10.4.2 "TIGER" RETAIL-INT"

So I guess its not only Canadian store.

It also says that it will ship "on or before June 13th"

I ordered Tiger last Wednesday. It arrived on Thursday. The packing slip said 10.4.2 on it. However when I installed it it was only 10.4.0.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    I hope it fixes the .Mac hiccups I've been having since upgrading to Tiger.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

And has already been stated, you can hide login items simply by going to System Preferences->Accounts->Login Items and clicking on the checkbox in the "Hide" column.

yes but it doesnt work on mine either i hoping the afp fix is good too.

uber
  • Reply 18 of 37
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    "Apple Computer this month is expected to update its retail copies of Mac OS X 10.4 to includ the first two maintenance releases to the Tiger operating system, ensuring that all new customers obtain the most stable and reliable version of Mac OS X directly out of the box."

How many times have we discussed this problem already. 42MB is a pretty big release. I hope this makes 10.4 what it should have been upon release.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

You can hide applications at startup already.

I tried ANYTHING and the hide command checkbox don't work for me. I added Mail to open and hide and nothing work with 10.4.0 and 10.4.1.

What can I say? I tried to repair permission and this changed nothing. Reinstall Tiger again? This is a fresh installation and this change nothing.

I can add to my bug list, "Be able to change order of the Login Items".
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by m01ety

Um, that feature is already present. Set the criteria to "Visibility" and select "Visible and Invisible".

I know already and this simply not work. Search Apple Discussion Board and you will see I'm far to be alone.