iTunes 4.9 ahead of schedule, major launch planned

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    myrdmyrd Posts: 6member
    iTunes supports whatever formats Quicktime does, which means you can just get codecs (if available), and it will "just work". Though, the same is not true for the iPod, as no one but Apple can add support for other formats for that (iPod-Linux aside . I believe Apple made their own lossless codec (or at least I've heard this from others) because the alternatives did not fit their needs.. specifically FLAC was too CPU-intensive to decode in real-time on the iPods (which is probably not true of the latest models, which apparently include more powerful CPUs than previous ones).
  • Reply 42 of 61
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

This way they can optimize it for high performance on the iPod and AE from the ground up and don't worry about steep licensing fees.

FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec.
  • Reply 43 of 61
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    When Apple did go with a "non-standard" format for something, it was more often than not because it was superior tech than what was available at the time, quick examples: NuBus cards and SCSI.

For lossless audio it's hard to argue which one sounds better, tough some codecs may require less CPU power.

Here is why I think Apple did create their own lossless codec based on MPEG-4 container format (incidentally based on Quicktime): What do you think will happen when the low end iPod is a 99$ 4 Gig iPod mini and the high end is a 120 Gigs iPod? Apple won't sell that many 120 Gigs iPods because it's too much space for people for music, unless....

Apple unveil a new High Quality lossless tunes section on the iTMS (maybe they could lower the AAC tunes to 79 cents and put the lossless tunes at 99 cents?)

Yeah Apple and others are pitching their lossy compression as "near cd-quality" and really, it should be enough for most. Still I can see Apple pitching the idea of a perfect high-quality version directly from the master tapes...

Maybe in 5 years... I don't know. What will be interesting is that once every online store sells lossless tunes, because the content will be the same, it will be really only a matter of lock brands, one lock for MS, one for Sony and obviously one for Apple. The difference being that you can decompress/re-compress between those without a loss in quality.

It could be the point where Apple will be forced to, or will decide to open/license it's DRM format, but in a way that it will become an imposed standard to every online music stores. It would be unfair for Apple to be forced open FairPlay without it becoming an imposed standard to others too. Why? because multiple Fairplay stores now would dilute the brand, some stores would have issues, some would fail and close, in other words, it would fragment the market and allow MS to eat FairPlay piece by piece.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Myrd

the Mac OS version of smart playlist editor window not scrolling off the screen when you add too many rules (the Windows version actually does this right by adding a scrollbar, on the Mac, it just grows the Window),

I don't understand this behavior either. Apple should

have adressed this nagging bug long ago. The same goes with

"rules" within "mail.app". Same wrong behavior. Nags me since

day one.
  • Reply 45 of 61
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kainjow

Apple can't make iTunes everything for everybody. Remember, iTunes is free, you should never expect anything from a freebie product, even if it's made by a big corporation like Apple. \

What kind of argument does that suppose to be?

iTunes is to my humble knowledge the killer

app at apple, iTunes is not supposed to be a shabby

add on, or funky give away or the like, it is prime prestige.
  • Reply 46 of 61
    afalknerafalkner Posts: 74member
    Does anyone else think that the reason for the big deal announcement for 4.9 could also unveil iTunesMobile or iTMSmobile? Or could that be another big function that they would wait for v5? or MacWorld in July? or is that issue a completely seperate deal?
  • Reply 47 of 61
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VL-Tone

Here is why I think Apple did create their own lossless codec based on MPEG-4 container format (incidentally based on Quicktime): What do you think will happen when the low end iPod is a 99$ 4 Gig iPod mini and the high end is a 120 Gigs iPod? Apple won't sell that many 120 Gigs iPods because it's too much space for people for music, unless....

Apple unveil a new High Quality lossless tunes section on the iTMS (maybe they could lower the AAC tunes to 79 cents and put the lossless tunes at 99 cents?)

Yeah Apple and others are pitching their lossy compression as "near cd-quality" and really, it should be enough for most. Still I can see Apple pitching the idea of a perfect high-quality version directly from the master tapes...

I sorta thought about this as well. Kiind of an iTunesMusic Store Pro, but then as you read the term "master tapes" above I think to myself, I bet there are more than a few lines preventing this from happening in those contracts written with the record companies. That is still the realm of the CD industry and that part of it will still be around for a while. Just like hifi albums, they may think they need to keep some hi end stuff off the digital grid. Can't imagine the studios want a master tape versions of The Beatles in everyone's home. Good luck selling another Beatles song for ever.
  • Reply 48 of 61
    kddpopkddpop Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VL-Tone

Apple won't sell that many 120 Gigs iPods because it's too much space for people for music, unless....

actually, thats exactly what i'm waiting for. i have a large collection of music. all of which, i have ripped and keep on a firewire drive. i share that collection over my airport network with all the macs in my house.

currently, it is about 70gigs. and it is constantly growing. i need a big HD in an ipod for (1) room to grow my music collection and (2) room to use as a portable hard drive while out and about.

and if you think i am abnormal (no snickering from anyone who knows me please) many of my friends have much much larger music collections. granted, we are a small percentage of the market, but we're out there. i am waiting for the next HD bump in the ipod before i buy. (i could really care less about the photo aspect.)

now, back on topic. i think iTunes 4.9 will be big on podcasting and 5.0 will be big on video, ie. the television subscription mentioned above. just my 1.5 cents.

grace and peace,

kddpop
  • Reply 49 of 61
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

And, umm, don't think so on the whole podcast more important than iTMS. Might be your opinion, but unless sales of podcasts outsell music, its not even close.

It will be (sales of podcasts? I think you are missing the point).

BTW here is the ultimate "make your own podcasts". Tune in on SomaFM before bedtime, plug in your iPod and when you leave your house next morning you have your internet radio with you: iFill
  • Reply 50 of 61
    mac writemac write Posts: 289member
    During this weeks TWIT episode (#10) Leo let the cat out of the bag that TWIT was going to be part of a major announcement next week. Leads me to believe that is iTunes 4.9.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Just noticed a bunch of Karaoke in the Just Added section of ITMS. Could 4.9 have Karaoke features built in? Say it ain't so!
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Major launch?

This week says TWiT, Leo?

Friday at Glastonbury?

That's what Macworld UK says.
  • Reply 53 of 61
    sopphodesopphode Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

FLAC = Free Lossless Audio Codec.

FLAC and Apple Lossless are very similar in architecture and compression efficiency. It's believed that Apple looked closely at FLAC when developing Apple Lossless.
  • Reply 54 of 61
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't want or use Flac, but I have a few files I wish iTunes would injest and convert with out me running around for some 3rd party batch converter.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    vtrainvtrain Posts: 10member
    4.9 is out.
  • Reply 56 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by VTrain

4.9 is out.

It sure seems to be, even though "Help > Check for iTunes Updates" isn't seeing it yet.

WOW! 4.9 is sweeet!
  • Reply 57 of 61
    makkemakke Posts: 16member
    I've got it, was working this morning and all of a sudden I got a Software Update pop-up saying 4.9 was available. I have downloaded immediately, and as I speeak the pods are downing 8)

At first the podcast directory was not up yet, so I was able to add podcasts from other sites, but now the directory is up where you can subscribe to various podcasts.

Very curious to see how this will evolve !!!
  • Reply 58 of 61
    According to MacBidouille (Hardmac for US version), there is allusion to the Motorola iTunes mobile phone inside 4.9:

There is also a new feature called "VideosParty". Does someone know what it is ?
  • Reply 59 of 61
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    I love it.
  • Reply 60 of 61
    And MacPrime has found the icon: