Inside Apple\'s Intel-based Dev Transition Kit (Photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris000001

will the new macintels have firewire 800?

These Dont... but the future Mactels will. I dont see what would hold them back from it.
  • Reply 22 of 68
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

Man.. wouldn't that be great. Have native Windows emulation and playing CS on your Mac. That's the day. Well.. having CS ported to Mac would be the day.. but until then...

Thus Ryan Gordon's point in his plan file awhile back... if Mac users are willing to go buy XP to dual-boot and play games, you will never see Mac ports of future games. Why would the game companies bother, if you buy it anyway? Major cost savings for them, and no more Mac games.
  • Reply 23 of 68
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by w_parietti22

These Dont... but the future Mactels will. I dont see what would hold them back from it.

The fact that almost no one uses it is the biggest reason I can see to reduce the cost by omitting it from the Macintels. I wouldn't care much if they were omitted from the PowerPC Macs, either.
  • Reply 24 of 68
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

The fact that almost no one uses it is the biggest reason I can see to reduce the cost by omitting it from the Macintels. I wouldn't care much if they were omitted from the PowerPC Macs, either.

Of course they will have FW800, hopefully FW1600. The dev board doesn't support it that's all. My ext. drives and my RME audio interface are FW800 thanks very much.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Thus Ryan Gordon's point in his plan file awhile back... if Mac users are willing to go buy XP to dual-boot and play games, you will never see Mac ports of future games. Why would the game companies bother, if you buy it anyway? Major cost savings for them, and no more Mac games.

Well you seem to be batting .500 on stupid/sane comments at the moment. You are quite correct; I think the Mac games market, such as it is, will die completely. And frankly who gives a shit? Games have never sold a single Mac.
  • Reply 26 of 68
    damn, bios is UGLY
  • Reply 27 of 68
    I would be interested to know where the warning about the unsupported hardware came from... specifically if it came up before Aqua started. Splicing in an OpenDarwin 8.0.1 kernel would be an interesting thing to try. I wonder if we'll have something like XPostFacto on x86.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Of course they will have FW800, hopefully FW1600. The dev board doesn't support it that's all. My ext. drives and my RME audio interface are FW800 thanks very much.

Only thing I use my FW800 port on my G5 for is to plug in my iPod. I use a FW800-400 adapter dongle so I don't have to plug my iPod dock in to my G5's front FW port. Now if I had a snazzy new aluminum display I'd just use its FW ports, but I don't.

I think other people may actually make good use of the port though, and I'm glad its there as far as future-proofing goes.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    I don't see the Mac game market collapsing, because dual booting requires you have a copy of Windows. Thats not cheap. Hmm, Spend $200 and then the games or spend $50 (or less) and play the games without having to buy, install, and otherwise mess with Windows. Choices.

Similar outcome with, "no more cross-platform applications" argument. It would actually benefit the Mac game market as developers wouldn't have to worry as much with endian issues. Well after they stop supporting PowerPC
  • Reply 30 of 68
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spyder

Basic Input/Output System.

You know, going to google and typing in BIOS isn't that hard.

Would someone explain to me why Windows uses this and Macs have not in the past. Advantage of BIOS vs whatever else???
  • Reply 31 of 68
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

Would someone explain to me why Windows uses this and Macs have not in the past. Advantage of BIOS vs whatever else???

There are advantages to using BIOS? I think you'd find it is just what they used first and hasn't ever been overhauled.
  • Reply 32 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I remember reading that Mac's used to have a very complicated patent on their old BIOS, and that was why the Mac could not be openly legally cloned, only licensed. It was the Bios that let Compaq steal the IBM PC, and turned the PC world into a over bloated nightmare for years.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Yeah, exactly. The BIOS was something IBM hacked together for the original IBM PC, expecting it to exist only on that hardware. But then it got cloned. And so we still have it today. It still runs in 16 bit real mode. PCs still use the same memory addresses and IRQs they did in 1983. They still have the same limitations (in this regard anyway). It's why I can run MS-DOS 2 on my Xeon if I want.

As Telomar said, it's just what they used first. Like most things x86, it's a hack that just won't go away.

As regards the mac, Apple has used 3 different systems in the past. There was the Nubus ROM, much like a BIOS, except almost completely unconcerned with being compatible with itself. Then, with the first PCI powermacs we got a weird hybrid of the Apple ROM and Open Firmware. With the colored G3s, it started being just Open Firmware. The Apple boot rom contained substantial portions of the OS at various times, but Apple eventually ditched it in favor of the more flexible Open Firmware.

Likewise, Intel et al. have recognized the need to toss the BIOS (which also limits you to 15 IRQs and such things) and replace it with EFI/ACPI. But. in the tradition of x86, few manufacturers have wanted to switch, for compatibility reasons. So ACPI got tacked on to the BIOS, and it's more of a hack job than ever.

EFI and ACPI together make a really nice firmware solution, in many ways similar to (and perhaps better than) Open Firmware, so most people are hoping Apple will adopt it, since they don't need to worry about compatibility.
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

FW1600??? that miight be awhile espically since FW800 is realitvely new.
  • Reply 35 of 68
    existenceexistence Posts: 991member
    I remember the days before Open Firmware macs where you could boot OS 8 off a RAM disk-- 4-6 second boot times!
  • Reply 36 of 68
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I guess that means (confirms) if the developer boxes were arriving now that those DELL laptops were actually running pear PC as most of us thought. Add that to the fact that these developers have tried to install it on x86 machines with no luck.

That wasn't PearPC. It was VNC. It's simply the display of an actual Mac shown on the Dell laptop through the network. When a window is minimized to the Dock, you can see large, patterened square distortions -- that's VNC's compression algorithm at work.
  • Reply 37 of 68
    whats the deal with "confirming pci-x" or whatever?

my powermac already has pci-x slots
  • Reply 38 of 68
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

whats the deal with "confirming pci-x" or whatever?

my powermac already has pci-x slots

Your confusing PCI-X, and PCI-E

PCI-X is already in Macs, and is the upgrade to PCI, but backward compatable.

PCI-E is PCI Express which is the Graphics port Upgrade from AGP, but is not backward compatable with anything.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    oh ok cheers for clearing that up
  • Reply 40 of 68
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:

PCI-E is PCI Express which is the Graphics port Upgrade from AGP, but is not backward compatable with anything.

Yes and no. PCI-E is actually a revisited concept of a unified bus concept. Only this time its serial, not parallel.

PCI-E connect everything to the chipset - graphics, audio, ad-in cards, IDE controllers... whatever.

Most of the mobo companies still recognize the need to be somewhat backwards compatible (I haven't seen too many PCI-E add-in cards yet), so they put a few PCI-E to PCI bridges. That is why you see 32 bit PCI slots on the Mactel.