Rumored Apple Midi/Audio app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Very vague info but a new app built or based upon Opcodes Studio Vision Pro will be announced MWSF. no Specs as of yet and I assume none will come as the source of the info is worried about getting his source fired from Apple.

Will keep you upto date on any further news.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    I think that would be really cool.

5 months later MS will come out with something similar and act like they are innovative
  • Reply 2 of 39
    This doesn't make much sense to me.. this looks like a really high end audio app - besides, wouldn't Apple have bought them so they could change it, add a different UI, and release it?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    I would imagine that they would create 2 apps one free consumer app and one expensive pro app. Like imovie and final cut pro as well as IDVD and DVD Studio. It could be useful for the novice doing more creative sound work for your movies or web pages. I've used Studio Vision Pro for 9 years and have cringing at the idea of switching apps. I just might be able to stay on board. fingers crossed!
  • Reply 4 of 39
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    For whatever reason, I remain skeptical. Doesn't seem like Apple's market for their own software, and I highly doubt a "consumer" version of a MIDI/audio app is coming due to very little interest from most consumers who just want to rip their Brittany CD's, not learn piano and mixing on the computer.

But my skepticism has failed me before.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Think about the Intel commercials indicating that "now anybody can be a digital DJ." At my last job, nearly 20% of the people there enjoyed mixing their own music...

Now think about this, iDVD and DVD Studio Pro has a pretty limited audience (currently). Yet Apple still made those products. I'm sure a suite of Audio solutions would be far better received, especially the Pro line. (Real Pros already use Macs for their audio work.)

Anyhow, while I think its unlikely, if Apple does come out with these iMusic apps I too will dabble in the musical arts... (Something I haven't done in 8 years or so...)
  • Reply 6 of 39
    I have a hard time imagining a "mass market" pro audio app, but I'm very encouraged to imagine OSX compatibility for important pro audio apps for true audio geeks.

MOTU, Emagic and Opcode need to get moving!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    What's really interesting is that Opcode was shutdown by Gibson two years ago and all the Studio Vision Users have been migrating over to other sequencers. Gibson gave us no hope that the code would be for sale and that we would ever see an uprgade. Gibson is natorious for buying companies and killing them, suing the technology from its creators and burying it. Don't now why they just do it. Gibson is trying to eek out a new digital audio format and I think they saw Opcode's OMS standard as a rival??
  • Reply 8 of 39
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by perceptual:

<strong>What's really interesting is that Opcode was shutdown by Gibson two years ago and all the Studio Vision Users have been migrating over to other sequencers. Gibson gave us no hope that the code would be for sale and that we would ever see an uprgade. Gibson is natorious for buying companies and killing them, suing the technology from its creators and burying it. Don't now why they just do it. Gibson is trying to eek out a new digital audio format and I think they saw Opcode's OMS standard as a rival??</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah look what Gibson did to Steinberger guitars. They still make them (well sorta) They aren't near the quality of the originals.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by perceptual:

<strong>Very vague info but a new app built or based upon Opcodes Studio Vision Pro will be announced MWSF. no Specs as of yet and I assume none will come as the source of the info is worried about getting his source fired from Apple.

Will keep you upto date on any further news.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Man, I really hope you're right. I'm a former Studio Vision user who switched to both Logic and Digital Performer. Neither though are as intuitive as Vision, but I have to use 'm as Vision doesn't support VST2

Can't wait till January

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: macanoid? ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 39
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Well did you have a hard time imagining a mass market DVD burning app? Who the hell has a DVD burner? I'd say about as many that do music on their macs?

Jeesh, just because you're not included in the target audience doesn't mean it won't fly. A friend of mine who uses PCs is about to buy his first mac because he has heard Macs are made for music. This kind of app would be perfect for him-he does MIDI.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    This just in. Sorry for the bad formating.

( Here is how the PR Draft has "Worded" it &lt; Released during MW Expo&gt

In a strategic cooperative initiative, Gibson has allowed a team of

almost a hundred programmers, and will ultimately transfer all

intellectual property to said group, of Opcode software including,

OMS, Vision, Galaxy, following some elaborate legal contractual

papers being reviewed and signed.

Meanwhile, the Source Code is already under development. An amazing

Carbon, 100% PPC, OS 8/9 & X ready Vision 5.0 will be ready within

weeks. The OS X version ties into Core Audio & MIDI Services, while

Classic OS 8/9 will use an updated OMS. ASIO-2, VST-2, mLan, Dolby

5.1/6.1/7.1/10.2 surround sound enhancements have already been

completed. A New import format supports ALL previous Vision files

from 1.0 - 4.5.1 &lt;which is way past due!&gt; and also opens/ edits/

saves Pro Tools, AVID, MOTU 2.x- 3.1, and all supported QT file

formats.

This is the largest Mac development team outside of Apple. Instead

of simply making a nicer UI for Video film scoring work, an entire

Video Editing technology was implemented based on a future, soon to

be released QT, and internal MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 import/export G4

optimized I/O kit.

Finally, a new 3-D graphics engine, allows creation of complete

3-D creation for CD Covers, and LOGO/Band/Label creation inside the

new Vision environment. The cool thing, here, is the video was then

attached to the 3-D system to allow "Toy Story" type Video creation

& Music scoring via MIDI & Audio. Since these were coded with

Altivec instructions, it is faster than any 3-D/Video software

available &lt;including outboard DSP systems&gt; by over 900%, on the Mac

OS 8/9/X on Dual G4/450 & up.

The Graphic Notation has been rewritten from scratch, based on a

full featured professional notation program. Which interfaces with a

new 64 bit Acadia & 32 bit Audio-to-Midi feature which can place a

notation score into Audio ( including MP3 ).

These features which include a streamlined GUI, including every

single dialogue box, but is open to debate for users. Therefore,

implementation will be in "Skins" allowing Classic, or Modern, to be

selected by the user. ( Except under Mac OS X ).

Obviously, these features are an extreme break from the SV Pro

product line. Careful attention was paid to place Notation, Video,

3-D, Import-Export, and improved features in the same manner as

previous versions &lt; in Classic Skin &gt; leaving users with zero

learning curve. While the New GUI follows Aqua user giudelines for

simplicity, and ease of use for new users.

Users with no need for many new functions will not have "Overhead"

of these new features. Each portion is Module based; Notation,

Video, Audio, 3-D, etc. Only load when chosen by the user. Leaving

out the overhead of RAM & System resources. Each "Module" has it's

own memory, and lays dormant until invoked. Making typical

bloatware, a non-issue. In fact, using the Audio & MIDI only, on

par with previous releases, the Native PPC code actually uses 1/3

less RAM than Vision 4.x.

Since so much has been altered, and object oriented Cocoa allow

such things as speech, word processing, spell check, PDF & XML,

Speech Recognition, Text to Speech, graphic editing in already

available libraries, Apple Script, and recent contact with

previously successful NeXT developers with Graphics support, we feel

a package like this is no longer "Vision", and may release

Multimedia Master product, as well as basic improved SV Pro, SVP +

Video, SVP 3-D Video. Multimedia OS has been a common suggestion...

All Code will be Open source, except where in example Dolby

Digital or other patent holders will not allow it. Thus avoiding

this happening again.Â*Â*Â*Using standard tools BSD UNIX, as used in

open source Mac OS X "Darwin" will run fairly well immediately.

Darwin for Intel, Linux, UI support, will fall into open source

efforts, respectively. Darwin for Intel support will be stricly Open

Source.....at this time.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>Well did you have a hard time imagining a mass market DVD burning app? Who the hell has a DVD burner? I'd say about as many that do music on their macs?

Jeesh, just because you're not included in the target audience doesn't mean it won't fly. A friend of mine who uses PCs is about to buy his first mac because he has heard Macs are made for music. This kind of app would be perfect for him-he does MIDI.</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not hard at all to imagine a mass-market DVD burning app -- the only thing preventing it from being "mass market" is the price of DVDR drives, which is dropping quickly.

MIDI apps and PC/Mac-based digital audio have been around for years. The necessary hardware interfaces for these are already cheap.

I could see my neighbor or my uncle wanting to burn his own DVDs, but I can't imagine them wanting to do MIDI sequencing or digital audio multi-tracking. I'm not saying there's no market for MIDI & digital audio apps -- I use both of them myself -- I'm just saying I don't see either one ever being "mass market."
  • Reply 13 of 39
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    My point is is that I think the # of people wanting to burn their own DVDs should be comparable to the # of music users wanting a music app.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Bring it on!

I don't really think it's gonna happen though.

Logic 5 will be out in January (hopefully), and I will be first in line.

Performance does worry me though. Hopefully my G4 400 will be able to cope!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Eventhough I think Vision 5 is not gonna happen, you can't blame me for hoping

You have to admit though that the PR Draft is very well written, and sounds like it could be true.

We'll see, if this ain't gonna happen, there's always Logic 5.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    If the PR is true, then I'm the happiest man on earth. I still use Vision (although I've been learning Cubase), for most of my "quick and dirty" work.

My composition teacher should be pleased as well, as he used to work at Opcode before they were bought by Gibson.

P.S.

Where'd you get that Press Release, I can't find it!

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Composer ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 39
    message for perceptual.

i was wondering if you'd heard any more news on this rumoured new audio app from opcode.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    An iApp for audio recording and editing would be cool, but I'd rather see OS X drivers for my Soundblaster Live card. Sadly, I think Creative has ditched Mac support.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    I want some good audio software for OS X. That will make me convert to X fully.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    i have a hard time believing apple would release an app like this when every new machine that they've released in the last 2 years has lacked an analog audio-in jack. That would be the most important piece of hardware to the amateur musician,