Motorola iTunes phone revealed?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

not sure what can be read into this, but isn't the NECC going on now or next week? i say this because i heard the first apple computer RADIO COMMERCIAL i have heard in a long long time while driving in listening to npr yesterday morning, über-emphasizing apple computer and education. and the ibook is the laptop of choice for apple's educational endeavors... so, methinks new ibooks will come out on the 7th.

necc finishes in a few days \

gawd i'll harakiri if iBooks are not announced on the 7th. when will the waiting end?

*sigh* anyone know any Macaholics / Rumorholics / NewProductoholics Anonymous
  • Reply 42 of 66
    esxxiesxxi Posts: 75member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rongold

The link is bogus esXXI. [...]

It was working a short while ago. Arse, should of taken a shot when it was up.
  • Reply 43 of 66
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    In the words of the great Clark W. Griswold:

"I think you're all f*cked in the head."

Here's what makes sense to me:

1) If the phone is going to have iTunes/iPod abilities, Apple's not going to let it be anything other than white or brushed metal.

2) To keep in line with iTunes and iPod, it's going to have to be VERY easy to use. I can't imagine how you're going to squish the UI of iTunes onto a phone's screen. I predict an iPod-like interface.

3) If it's going to have an iPod-like interface, all of your phone numbers and other info will most likely be stored in the same interface. Therefore, I imagine the phone will *act* like an iPod more than your everyday cell phone. Yeah, it might have number keys for dialing numbers, but a click wheel seems darn near certain to be designed in somehow.

4) If it looks like an iPod and acts like an iPod, then I believe Apple will want to call it an iPod...phone...from Motorola.

There's my bet: We will see the new "iPod phone from Motorola" introduced next week.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by celebi23

So, I was looking in the iTunes.rsrc file using icongrapher:

iTunes/Contents/Resources/iTunes.rsrc

and found that the only 2 new icons were that of Podcasting and one of a phone. I think this is proof that the iTunes phone is coming very soon.

Yep, and searching through OS X, people found proof that the PowerBook G5s were right around the corner.

Still waiting....
  • Reply 45 of 66
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by damiansipko

Ha ha ha. After reading this post, never have I laughed so hard.

Wow, you've got to get out more. Funniest thing I ever saw was the pay-off scene in the movie Ruthless People. Had me on the floor with tears in my eyes. "If you shot at me, then where's your gun!" Now that was funny.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    I wonder why no cellphone manufacturer has made a clear acrylic cell phone? I think it would be fitting for the itunes phone. It would make sense because Apple peripherals (mouse, keyboard, pro speakers) all have clear acrylic plastic, so it would make sense for a phone (a type of peripheral in a way ) to be clear as well... But then its not made by Apple specifically...
  • Reply 47 of 66
    from the image (if it's real) it looks like the black part is just a rubber shell, kind of like the rubber sleeves for the ipod...around the buttons on the side you can see white underneath.

On the other hand, the superimposed "keypad" ghosting is weird, must be fake....

one other thought, remember that "changing color" with the content playing patent that apple filed last year or whenever?

What if the phone changes from green to other colors depending on ring or music playing?

it's not uncommon for demo products to not have the final casing etc,
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by radiospace

That must be the iTunes U2 Phone.

This has got to be the FUGLIEST thing I have ever seen. Even the U2 ipod didn't look that bad- kind of like an ipod designed for Darth Vader. I just can't see Apple allowing themselves to be associated with something that clunky and ugly looking. Please let it be a fake.
  • Reply 49 of 66
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

[B]In the words of the great Clark W. Griswold:

"I think you're all f*cked in the head."

Here's what makes sense to me:

1) If the phone is going to have iTunes/iPod abilities, Apple's not going to let it be anything other than white or brushed metal.

I disagree. It is not Apple that will be manufacturing the device. If Motorola made it look like an iPod, don't you think they would be imposing on Apple. Or have you forgotten Apple has sued companies for making products look like their own.

Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut 2) To keep in line with iTunes and iPod, it's going to have to be VERY easy to use. I can't imagine how you're going to squish the UI of iTunes onto a phone's screen. I predict an iPod-like interface.

Well, there is a circular wheel type design on the keyboard. Plus the play buttons on the side.

Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut 3) If it's going to have an iPod-like interface, all of your phone numbers and other info will most likely be stored in the same interface. Therefore, I imagine the phone will *act* like an iPod more than your everyday cell phone.

But incorporating that award winning software design would truly cannabalize iPod sales. I think the interface will differ.

Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut 4) If it looks like an iPod and acts like an iPod, then I believe Apple will want to call it an iPod...phone...from Motorola.

Why would they want to defer the hottest product in the world to Motorola?

Edited to correct spelling of "defer".
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Wow, you've got to get out more. Funniest thing I ever saw was the pay-off scene in the movie Ruthless People. Had me on the floor with tears in my eyes. "If you shot at me, then where's your gun!" Now that was funny.

Never did I say it was the funniest thing I've ever read. To me, it's more of a crack at U2 than the U2 iPod. Besides, if the iTunes phone by Motorola was anything like the U2 iPod the keypad would jump from 3 to 14. "Uno, Dos, Tres, Catorce."
  • Reply 51 of 66
    (With A Concerned Look On His Face) IT'S DISGUSTING!!. Apple must have designed this when Jonathan Ive was back here in europe collecting another 1 of his many awards.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    moto has a phone with a touch pad on top of the key pad. they prob did the same thing here...
  • Reply 53 of 66
    I already have my iTunes phone. It just sucks that it runs on Windows Mobile 2003, Windows Media 10...and I have to swap SD cards. But I can also fit a whole 2 hour movie into a 256MB SD card It is also ironic that it is exactly the same size as my iPod (a bit rounder).

And, with one of these babies, I'm wifi'ng from almost anywhere
  • Reply 54 of 66
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    It's shit. The UI is rubbish -- typical Moto cackware and not designed by Apple. It was delayed due to US network issued -- canned in truth -- then resurrected by an interesting commercial partner no-one will guess, and it's released on July 4 under a 2-letter name.

Hypothetically.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Target Practice

More images of the Motorola ROKR iTunes phone.

well, if it is true then this will be the last time apple works with Moto, jonathan ives just came back from the toilet and notice that what he crapped out is probably better than this shite of a phone design.

i just hope apple makes tons of money in licensing deals out of Moto's rubbish. fuck em. fuck Sony too for its years of atrac3 bullshit. otherwise we would all be having a nice iPodmini+sonyericssont630 kind of super iPodPhone now, the real deal, not some hacked up, late to market, carrier-rejected piece of turd.

i'll say it again for the record, what comes out of jonathan ives' ass is probably better designed that what's in those photos. big chunky buttons on the side is just ...

well i've said enough for now...
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:

If Motorola made it look like an iPod, don't you think they would be imposing on Apple. Or have you forgotten Apple has sued companies for making products look like their own.

Um. Apple and Motorola are partners in this deal. If Apple wants the phone to look like an iPod, Motorola would probably do it.

Quote:

But incorporating that award winning software design would truly cannabalize iPod sales. I think the interface will differ.

This same logic was used when the iPod mini came out. Where are the cannabalized sales? There are much better reasons why there WOULD be an iPod interface.

Quote:

Why would they want to defer the hottest product in the world to Motorola?

Because they already did it once with HP.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aftershock

I dig that.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I wish I knew why everyone is crapping on about Cingular ...
  • Reply 60 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

I wish I knew why everyone is crapping on about Cingular ...

I've never used them, but I've only heard complaints about their customer service.