Does Apple Pages Suck?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    nickmtnickmt Posts: 13member

Thanks for the alt tip.  I have tons of ram on my 4 gig iMac, so I doubt that's the problem.  If it's writing to disc a lot on it's own then the way it does it is a problem for sure.  It's really ruined my day today.  Your support however is a breath of fresh air.

• Reply 42 of 45
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I like it on my iPad for viewing text files but as a my main word processor I've moved from Office to Office 365. I have an account through work and I have to say it's pretty great. When Pages for iCloud gets collaborative support and is opened to the general public(none Apple device owners) I might start using it.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    nickmt wrote: »
    Thanks for the alt tip.  I have tons of ram on my 4 gig iMac, so I doubt that's the problem.  If it's writing to disc a lot on it's own then the way it does it is a problem for sure.  It's really ruined my day today.  Your support however is a breath of fresh air.

4GB isn't a lot of RAM, 8GB is the bare minimum nowadays, you should really shoot for 16GB as it's the optimal. RAM is pretty cheap unless you buy directly from Apple, a 16GB DIMM RAM kit for the iMac is less than 80 dollars at Amazon. I have 32GB on my iMac and it hums along perfectly, especially with video work. OSX will use every bit of RAM you can through at it. I have 48GB in my Sun server and 64GB in my HP Z80 Workstation, even for that it wasn't to expensive, I think it was 480 CHF for 64GB Crucial ECC.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    nickmtnickmt Posts: 13member

Really?  Your suggesting pages doesn't run well cos my imac has only 4 gigs?  I find that pretty incredible.  It's basic word processing whats the big deal?  I have way less problems processing truly big files in photoshop than w/ crumby little pages files. Pls explain. 

• Reply 45 of 45
    nickmt wrote: »
    Really?  Your suggesting pages doesn't run well cos my imac has only 4 gigs?  I find that pretty incredible.  It's basic word processing whats the big deal?  I have way less problems processing truly big files in photoshop than w/ crumby little pages files. Pls explain. 

No, just stating that 4GB isn't "Tons of RAM" as you said. But you are right, Pages does seem to lag, especially when compared to a program like Photoshop where you would expect it to lag with 4GB. It's funny because it's not consistent with Apple made programs, their music and video programs are very quick. The iOS version of Pages defiantly feels faster when compared to the OSX one.