One (little) thing missing from iPhoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
The ability to drag the window from a place other than the titlebar! :eek:

Seriously, folks. I understand the Apple has to go breaking all the old UI conventions with OSX, but can they not even stick with the new ones they've made? Yes, even Carbon and Cocoa apps have inconsistent UI's. Though, I'd think that consistency should be important between these key parts of the new hub. Shouldn't at least Apple's "brushed aluminum" apps act the same? QuickTime Player and iTunes are draggable (haven't used iDVD)...

:confused:

</rant>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    There's something else missing that bothers me even more: lack of support for Illustrator images. It can display Photoshop files just fine but not .ai files which disappoints me.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    How about the ability to sharpen, color correct, brighten, etc. images. I mean basics, folks.

Oooooh, red eye reduction. Whoopdee doo.

The truth be told, the rest of it's REALLY cool!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I think stuff like that might be coming in future versions. I mean look how long it took to get a EQ in iTunes. The other thing I'd love to do from iPhoto is scan pictures.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Itunes uses other folders for its database. iPhoto makes a new database folder, essentially doubling the data. This reduces my hard drive.

Would like to insert pictures into Powerpoint from iPhoto. This cannot be done very easily. Is very hard to find the photo(s) because of the database that iPhoto creates.

Would like the ability to have unlimited keywords.

Would like the ability to create subfolders inside of albums.

Would like the ability to name rolls of film. This would reduce my need to add unlimited keywords.

Would like the ability to import all my pics at once like iTunes does with mp3's. Importing is very slow if you have a lot of photos.

Overall, and for home use, iPhoto is very nice. Was hoping it could help me a little more with work but it is way to limited in this version.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>How about the ability to sharpen, color correct, brighten, etc. images. I mean basics, folks.

The truth be told, the rest of it's REALLY cool!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree completely.

Starting up Classic and booting up Photoshop, just to hold shift-command-L for AutoLevels, really, really SUCKS

Then again.... I can see the Adobe ass-kissin that went into iPhoto. I can understand holding further image correction tools for Revision 2, which will not happen until Adobe ships Photoshop

Other than that, I'm fairly pleased with iPhoto, so far.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: FormerLurker ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by imacSE:

<strong>I think stuff like that might be coming in future versions. I mean look how long it took to get a EQ in iTunes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, but iTunes was a Carbon app running on both 9 and X, while iPhoto runs only on X and seems to be a pure Cocoa app. Methinks iPhoto will be MUCH easier to update - perhaps this will be the new standard for all iApps yet to come.

[quote]

[QB

The other thing I'd love to do from iPhoto is scan pictures.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

I wish it worked with my PC Card Media reader, but it appears to only support USB readers. However, 10.1.2 mounts my "unlabeled" card on the desktop, and command-I for Import brings in any folder as a new film roll. I have to navigate through open/save to the proper folder on my smartmedia card, so it's not quite automatic, but close enough.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    I wish it put the albums in alphabetical order, and had a contextual menu, when clicked on the picture, to either show it in the finder or open it in another app, like Photoshop. I know you can set it to do this with a double click but I don't always want to do that. And what's with the database it sets up? I mean, with iTunes I can use aliases to offload it all to another partition. But with iPhoto, using an alias of my 'Pictures' folder or my 'iPhoto Library' folder renders iPhoto useless.

I also wish I could figure out how to make my own keywords. Any help here?
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Some excellent points here!

[quote]

Itunes uses other folders for its database. iPhoto makes a new database folder, essentially doubling the data. This reduces my hard drive <hr></blockquote>

Yes, this is annoying, but I can see how it's necessary, as iPhoto is actually modifying the file data, not just its metatags (like iTunes). At least JPEGs are a fraction of the size of MP3s !

[quote]

Would like to insert pictures into Powerpoint from iPhoto. This cannot be done very easily. Is very hard to find the photo(s) because of the database that iPhoto creates.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, I found it very frustrating at first when I wanted to find a photo to edit it in Photoshop. Once I got used to the year, month, day folder hierchey though, it wasn't too bad - the info window in iPhoto shows the date of each photo.

A simple Show in Finder command would go a long way, though!!!

[quote]

Would like the ability to have unlimited keywords.

Would like the ability to create subfolders inside of albums.

Would like the ability to name rolls of film. This would reduce my need to add unlimited keywords.<hr></blockquote>

Yes, yes, and YES!

[quote]

Would like the ability to import all my pics at once like iTunes does with mp3's. Importing is very slow if you have a lot of photos. <hr></blockquote>

Not sure if that's practical. For one thing, your hard drive is likely to contain loads of jpeg and other image files you don't want to import. Imagine how pissed you'd be while it sat there importing all the files from your browser cache

Also, folder hierchey is not that important for iTunes's database, so it makes some sense to import a folder at a time. But, folder hierchey could be utilized much better here.

If I could choose to import a folder which contains multiple subfolders full of photos, each with a relevent name, and a new roll was formed for each subfolder, THEN you'd have a very, very useful and user-friendly Import function!

[quote]

Overall, and for home use, iPhoto is very nice. <hr></blockquote>

Yes. I was waiting for this so I could give my parents their first digital camera, hoping that it would be the first app that I would trust to make it easy enough for them. It has met my expectations on that front!

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: FormerLurker ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 27
    former lurker [quote] Yes, I found it very frustrating at first when I wanted to find a photo to edit it in Photoshop. Once I got used to the year, month, day folder hierchey though, it wasn't too bad - the info window in iPhoto shows the date of each photo. <hr></blockquote>

This may be fine if you were using all of your imported pics from the same roll or file. However, I most frequently use pictures, images from all over my computer. This folder hierarchy is not going to work for me.

former lurker [quote] If I could choose to import a folder which contains multiple subfolders full of photos, each with a relevent name, and a new roll was formed for each subfolder, THEN you'd have a very, very useful and user-friendly Import function! <hr></blockquote>

Yes!

I was so excited when I first saw iPhoto during the Keynote. Now that I have tried it, I find that I am still searching for an app that will do more. iPhoto....so close.....come on update....
  • Reply 10 of 27
    [quote]Originally posted by kcmac:

[QBThis may be fine if you were using all of your imported pics from the same roll or file. However, I most frequently use pictures, images from all over my computer. This folder hierarchy is not going to work for me. [/QB]<hr></blockquote>

A simple "Show In Finder" command would probably take care of this.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by CosmoNut:

<strong>How about the ability to sharpen, color correct, brighten, etc. images. I mean basics, folks.

The truth be told, the rest of it's REALLY cool!</strong><hr></blockquote>

While I would totaly agree, my wife yelled COOL after she did the red eye reduction. For a non-graphics person the red eye reduction is a simple and very important image correction tool. Truthfully, I was expecting it to do more, adjust levels mostly.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    the TOTAL lack of levels adjustment is my big complaint with this software. I could live with the funky catalogging if I could have even BASIC image correction.

It's inexcusable to exclude this from a digital photo app!
  • Reply 13 of 27
    ac2cac2c Posts: 60member
    Gee, just download GraphicConverter and go to iPhoto and chose Preferences and set Graphic Converter as your editing choice. Will that allow you to do Photoshop pro level editing - no, but it will allow you to do more than just red eye. And when Photoshop is OS X ready, iPhoto will be there waiting for it. Can iPhoto be improved - of course. It is NOT, however, a pro tool. It is written and functions for the "consumer" at a level that M$ and their XP photo app never thought of.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    former lurker [quote]A simple "Show In Finder" command would probably take care of this. <hr></blockquote>

Not quite sure what you mean here...Are you saying that I need to be in iPhoto at the same time that I would be in iMovie for example?

I would simply like to go to the import option under the file menu and navigate to a file that I have labeled telling me what pics are in that folder. iPhoto forces me to remember the year, day that I took the picture.

Please enlighten me...I would love for iPhoto to work for me...
  • Reply 15 of 27
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Yea guys, remember this is for our parents and av Joe not for pro users. That's why it's free.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    I'd like an auto-magnify, to expand the thumbnails as I pass the cursor over them (like PhotoMesa does).
  • Reply 17 of 27
    [quote] Yea guys, remember this is for our parents and av Joe not for pro users. That's why it's free. <hr></blockquote>

Okay...but my parents use iMovie like I do. This isn't a pro app. I'm just saying that it was easier to find photos for import into iMovie (and similar apps) before iPhoto. Navigation is tough.

The other functions of iPhoto are super cool. :cool:
  • Reply 18 of 27
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    [quote]Originally posted by crawlingparanoia:

<strong>

I also wish I could figure out how to make my own keywords. Any help here?</strong><hr></blockquote>

command-k or the edit menu

AJ
  • Reply 19 of 27
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    [quote]Originally posted by ac2c:

<strong>Gee, just download GraphicConverter and go to iPhoto and chose Preferences and set Graphic Converter as your editing choice. Will that allow you to do Photoshop pro level editing - no, but it will allow you to do more than just red eye. And when Photoshop is OS X ready, iPhoto will be there waiting for it. Can iPhoto be improved - of course. It is NOT, however, a pro tool. It is written and functions for the "consumer" at a level that M$ and their XP photo app never thought of. </strong><hr></blockquote>

THANK YOU! I mentioned this in another thread. Haven't tried it yet but hell...this is a free consumer application, not for us professionals! Use the tools that do this job!

It was funny when Jobs wanted to demonstrate that 'switch application' feature...but ooop! No Photoshop for OS X!
  • Reply 20 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I wish iPhoto preserved filenames, or at least attributed original filenames to images in a database. I only want this for search. I want to be able to drag a folder full of hundreds of images and search for a common string...like "thumb" or "sized." That way I can delete thumbnails or sized images easily.

I love the black and white filter...no more grayscale! Truer black and white!