Motorola CEO hints at music-related announcements

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Motorola's chief executive officer isn't offering any details about what the company may or may not announce during its annual financial conference this evening, but he has gone on the record to promise a lot of "music stuff."

The event, billed "MOTONOW," is scheduled to begin at 7pm CDT. Analysts and industry followers will be watching the event closely under the assumption the iTunes cell phone developed by Motorola and Apple may finally make its debut.

"We'll have a lot of music stuff for you this week," Ed Zander, Motorola's CEO, told the Chicago Tribune. Motorola will be webcasting Zander's presentation, which may include an appearance by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. It was at the same event last year that Zander and Jobs (via satellite) announced a partnership between the two companies to deliver iTunes capabilities to Motorola cell phones.

Though Apple and Motorola have been relatively quiet about the upcoming release of the iTunes-enabled Motorola phones, some cell phone enthusiasts say they have obtained early copies of the mobile edition of iTunes, which will be available on certain Motorola handsets.

The mobile iTunes firmware -- dubbed iTunes Mobile -- will help users navigate the songs on their iTunes-compatible mobile phones from Motorola. According to reports, the iTunes Mobile work in conjunction with iTunes 4.9 to allow users to manage and transfer songs to iTunes-compatible Motorola cell phones via an USB cable.

Several members on the howardforums.com mobile community claim to have obtained a beta version of the upcoming firmware. In posts to the sites message boards, members say they've managed to install the firmware on a few existing Motorola phones with a few workarounds. Some members even reporting success with Bluetooth-based sharing.

Interestingly they noted that iTunes mobile beta software is limited to 25 songs, similar to previous reports and supporting rumors that Apple may offer an upgrade that will allow iTunes Mobile users to transfer additional songs to their Motorola phone using iTunes for Mac or PC. Sources speculate that this step was put in place by Apple to maintain a market for Apple's low-end iPod shuffle, which will likely be the first Apple product to see sales erode following the introduction of more mobile music servers for cell phones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I really want to be amazed by this new phone... But I really am deeply unsure if they can pull it off. My next phone will probably be the k608i, unless Harald has some news to share that can change my mind...
  • Reply 2 of 23
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    I can't wait for the iTunes mobile phone. I think it will be a great way for Apple "to get into the hands" of more potential customers. It would be an excellent way to get more people to use iTunes and then eventually a Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    An Apple designed phone (or universal remote, or PVR, or movie player, or...) with iPod ease-of-use would be cool. But I don't expect it.

I expect nothing more than we already can assume: MOTOROLA hardware/controls/interface with no Apple help, PLUS added Apple software that works something like an iPod (but generally with low capacities and battery life).

That's fine, but not too exciting.

It would be fun if there's more to it though
  • Reply 4 of 23
    I agree, something about the ROKR name and the Motorola label that makes me cringe. It'll look just like every other motorola phone, nothing too exciting. I would really love it if Apple developed a phone completely independently!! Even an Apple phone service would be sweet!! I'm just thinking that we'll see another cheaply designed, run of the mill, Hello Moto...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm thinking that a shoe-in for Moto and Apple to sell a bunch of these things is to put the word "iPod" in the name. That said "iTunes" in the name is the next best option. I guess we'll see.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    So when is this event anyway? in four hours?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    geekdreamsgeekdreams Posts: 280member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

So when is this event anyway? in four hours?

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/conve...d=26&h=19&mn=0
  • Reply 8 of 23
    So in one hour then?
  • Reply 9 of 23
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

So in one hour then?

Apparently they're streaming the event.

http://www.videonewswire.com/motorol...now/event.html
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Apparently they're streaming the event.

http://www.videonewswire.com/motorol...now/event.html

real & windows media, how ensuring...
  • Reply 11 of 23
    no phone today... but in the next 66 days...
  • Reply 12 of 23
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Don't bother!

"No iTunes phone today!"
  • Reply 13 of 23
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    I think I am too used to Steve Jobs keytnotes. You may not like him but he knows what he's doing.

This guy doesn't really know what to say...and has been unfunny about 6 times in 5 minutes.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

I think I am too used to Steve Jobs keytnotes. You may not like him but he knows what he's doing.

This guy doesn't really know what to say...and has been unfunny about 6 times in 5 minutes.

Agreed...This dude's painful
  • Reply 15 of 23
    bentonbenton Posts: 161member
    The Motorola webcast was grating on my ears. If Steve can't do it no one can do it. To wait for sometime in the next 66 days for introduction of Apples iPhone is a joke now that it is confirmed. Apple NEVER confirms rumors or speculations.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    thevilthevil Posts: 7member
    Anyone know where the the statement he read can be found?

Love Ed and Steve. Ha.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    So can someone explain what's happening at that event, I can't get the webcast. Is Steve there? I saw that on the news page they did say that the ROKR phone was a family of music phones, but nothing that said it was compatable with itunes or macs. Any news would be nice!
  • Reply 18 of 23
    o4blackwrxo4blackwrx Posts: 383member
    Steve was there, STEVE BALLMER, yep that's right. 10 mins left in the webcast and they are talking with Windows Steve Ballmer and how great their new product is. WTF.....
  • Reply 19 of 23
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
  • Reply 20 of 23
    hkbaqhkbaq Posts: 58member
    there is something seriously wrong with this......the've been jecking us for about four month with this itunes phone bs.....i want one....just sold my phone and using an old one....it better be THE SHIT otherwise i am going to be very dissopinted....

perhaps the rumor is very true about apple pulling the piggi back on other netwroks to do their own wireless company.....if they do it in paris...it going to be a long way...cause that is just before the quarter ends....although they said that it would be a separate event.....who has pottential dates for this.....lets get all the intel possible to figure this out.