PlayStation 3 to support Mac OS X Tiger

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I suppose, with some work, it could be made to go on the PPE, which is a stripped down dual thread G4. But it would take a lot more work to get the SPE's to work as well. The memory model is completely different also. There's even a question of how much RAM could be used, and it seems as though most of the RAM is designated for the SPE's.

Well, it's interesting at least.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Nothing whatsoever will come of this.

It IS bizarre that Sony would event MENTION it, but that's about all the news there is here.

Yes, PPC-derived chips could support Tiger in some theoretical sense. Yes, despite the iPod rivalry, Apple could partner with Sony on Tiger/PPC while at the same time moving themselves towards Intel/Leopard. Yes, Sony could leak such a thing early.

But it's all very far-fetched.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    It is obvious what is going on.

Sony have licensed OS X as the os for the PS3. Yay!

Sony are worried about PS3 game piracy on the Mac. Boo!

Apple are migrating to Intel so that PS3 games cant run. Boo!

Sony are happy, and let Apple sell Sony artists in ITMS. Yay!
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

It is obvious what is going on.

Sony have licensed OS X as the os for the PS3. Yay!

Sony are worried about PS3 game piracy on the Mac. Boo!

Apple are migrating to Intel so that PS3 games cant run. Boo!

Sony are happy, and let Apple sell Sony artists in ITMS. Yay!

... yes, it IS obvious
  • Reply 25 of 86
    They released a hard drive add-on for the PS2 with keyboard an mouse and linux install discs. From what I read it acted completely like a normal computer.

Reading the above it would seem they want to do a similar bundle with the PS3 at some point and Mac OS X has come under the eyes of Sony Computer Entertainment's head guys. Of course they need not have asked Apple if they could say it's a possibility, but for them to say so would suggest that it is actually possible. For Apple this could be great news:

Firstly, I have read many say one main reason for Apple not allowing Mac OS X onto general PCs is because of device support. The PS3 will remain practically the same for many years (did I read 10 years from Sony?). It may (or may not) take time to make OS X work on the PS3, but once the time has been put into the binaries, it should be fine for the length of it's life.

Secondly, the amount of PS3 buyers will be huge. I can see the add-on hard drive being a demo of Mac OS X's capabilities, and can see people buying proper Macs off the back of this. I can also see a lot of HTPC fans (from both Mac and PC markets) buying a PS3, if they don't have one, to use as a HTPC. Selling Mac OS X to a previously uninterested bunch.

Lastly, for Sony this would be an add-on. I would be surprised if they did not release an operating system like they have done with the PS2. Games wouldn't run on this OS, they would run on the PlayStation's own OS.
  • Reply 26 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

Yeah I don't think this is gonna happen. It just makes no sense at all.

Why doesn't it make sense? Apple's OS on Sony's proprietary hardware (ie no hacker is going to take it and put it on something else) in millions of living rooms across the world? Where is the non-sense in that?

If Sony does want people to use the PS3 for photo and video editing, why not use the OS that's best suited for the job?
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

They released a hard drive add-on for the PS2 with keyboard an mouse and linux install discs. From what I read it acted completely like a normal computer.

Reading the above it would seem they want to do a similar bundle with the PS3 at some point and Mac OS X has come under the eyes of Sony Computer Entertainment's head guys. Of course they need not have asked Apple if they could say it's a possibility, but for them to say so would suggest that it is actually possible. For Apple this could be great news:

Firstly, I have read many say one main reason for Apple not allowing Mac OS X onto general PCs is because of device support. The PS3 will remain practically the same for many years (did I read 10 years from Sony?). It may (or may not) take time to make OS X work on the PS3, but once the time has been put into the binaries, it should be fine for the length of it's life.

Secondly, the amount of PS3 buyers will be huge. I can see the add-on hard drive being a demo of Mac OS X's capabilities, and can see people buying proper Macs off the back of this. I can also see a lot of HTPC fans (from both Mac and PC markets) buying a PS3, if they don't have one, to use as a HTPC. Selling Mac OS X to a previously uninterested bunch.

Lastly, for Sony this would be an add-on. I would be surprised if they did not release an operating system like they have done with the PS2. Games wouldn't run on this OS, they would run on the PlayStation's own OS.

Even if this were true, it wouldn't be good for Apple. Apple sells computers. If the OS runs on the PS3, then Apple won't sell computers.

This is pretty obvious. That's why Apple isn't licensing the OS. Even if it could run on the PS3, and it won't, the PS3 games won't run on a Mac. It's a different OS that they run under.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by switch_hmg

Why doesn't it make sense? Apple's OS on Sony's proprietary hardware (ie no hacker is going to take it and put it on something else) in millions of living rooms across the world? Where is the non-sense in that?

If Sony does want people to use the PS3 for photo and video editing, why not use the OS that's best suited for the job?

Why don't you read some posts? There have been good reasons why not.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I doubt it, but if it does happen, I will not complain.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

At *most*...

1) Sony uses a stripped-down Darwin as the basis. No GPL to mess with, just a corporate partner.

Even if they did use darwin (ugh), it still wouldn't mean more games for OS X.

I was pretty certain that the cell didn't use PPC, I think the author of that article was just a dumbass.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I doubt it, but if it does happen, I will not complain.

It sure would be interesting, but not good for Apple's bottom line. what if a million people a year decide to buy a PS3 instead of a Mac Mini or an eMac? That would be trouble. It would reverberate down the whole chain of Apple's products, and stock price.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

Even if they did use darwin (ugh), it still wouldn't mean more games for OS X.

You'll note that nowhere, in anything I wrote, did I ever even *breathe* about this bringing more games to OS X, because I think that's utterly ludicrous.

Quote:

I was pretty certain that the cell didn't use PPC, I think the author of that article was just a dumbass.

Cell is a PowerPC derived CPU. In a sense, it is a PPC chip, but it isn't one that is made for general purpose computing. Theoretically, yeah, it could run many current PPC binaries... but it'd suck at being a CPU for a consumer computer. For a console though, where you're running one app at a time, it's great.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It sure would be interesting, but not good for Apple's bottom line. what if a million people a year decide to buy a PS3 instead of a Mac Mini or an eMac? That would be trouble. It would reverberate down the whole chain of Apple's products, and stock price.

Because those PS3s still wouldn't be usable as a general purpose computer. The eMac would outshine them for performance at the general tasks a computer does, for the reasons stated above.

For a Media Center though... it has merit. You're only running one app at a time. You're listening to music *or* playing a game *or* looking at photos. On a console, you get to pick one app at a time, and the iLife suite is *this* close to being a good media center combo. An iLife bundle with the PS3 that ran a stripped down MacOS X for just those media-oriented apps... feasible.

*shrug* Like I said, technically it kinda makes sense... but I don't think it's ever going to happen, and that the original blurb that kicked this off was due to a misunderstanding on the part of the copy writer.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    vl-tonevl-tone Posts: 337member
    Sony plans to sell music and movies through it's own music/video store on the PS3... Thus competing directly with Apple.

No way OS X on the PS3 can happen officially.

MS also has it's own music and video store plans for the XBox 360, and Apple already competes with MS on the OS level, so it's obvious it won't happen on the 360 either.

Only one videogame console manufacturer doesn't compete directly with Apple, and it's Nintendo. They are not video/music or format providers, they are a video-game company, and Apple is everything but a video-game company . The Revolution will feature an online video-game store out of the box... maybe they are looking at a tried-and-tested online storefront from a non competing vendor? (Like the iTMS?) Maybe they are looking for a basic OS for the Revolution? I don't see the big N investing in developing an OS for their machine, since they are more than ever about "games".

I had a much more complicated theory about this before Apple announced the intel switch.

(and If you hate Nintendo for whatever reason, could you please do us all a favor and not reply to my post?)
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by VL-Tone

Sony plans to sell music and movies through it's own music/video store on the PS3... Thus competing directly with Apple.

Didn't Sony just shut down its online music store?
  • Reply 36 of 86
    The Sony PR machine is so disconnected from their product line it isn't even funny. They're using every opportunity to sell the PS3 as a home entertainment system, not a gaming system.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:

Because those PS3s still wouldn't be usable as a general purpose computer. The eMac would outshine them for performance at the general tasks a computer does, for the reasons stated above.

For a Media Center though... it has merit. You're only running one app at a time. You're listening to music *or* playing a game *or* looking at photos. On a console, you get to pick one app at a time, and the iLife suite is *this* close to being a good media center combo. An iLife bundle with the PS3 that ran a stripped down MacOS X for just those media-oriented apps... feasible.

*shrug* Like I said, technically it kinda makes sense... but I don't think it's ever going to happen, and that the original blurb that kicked this off was due to a misunderstanding on the part of the copy writer.

I'm making the assumption, for the argument, that it could be done. As my other posts state, I don't believe that it can. After all, it would have to be Apple that does it. No matter what, it won't run on the Cell as things stand now.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Quote:

Originally posted by miggs97

The Sony PR machine is so disconnected from their product line it isn't even funny. They're using every opportunity to sell the PS3 as a home entertainment system, not a gaming system.

That's what MS is trying to do as well. It actually makes sense.

The PC so far has been a failure as a media center. A few have been sold, but not many. But the game machines belong in the family room or living room. That's where everyone uses them. They have an "in" so to speak.

What would be more natural for them to be taken the next step? Do you think the only reason that the PS3 can play 1080p is for games? Internet connections, HD's Blu-Ray (Sony), keyboards, etc. what is the purpose of all that, not just for multi-player ganes, that's for sure.

If Apple wants to get into that space, and it's hard to believe that they don't, then they will have to make a move before these machines are accepted for that purpose. Assuming they work as well in that configuration as Sony and MS hope they will.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:

Didn't Sony just shut down its online music store?

I heard about that. Are we sure that it was shut down, as in closed for good, or shut down, as in, we're going to remodel and be back better than before?
  • Reply 40 of 86
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Do you think the only reason that the PS3 can play 1080p is for games?

It's their way to win the format war.