OSX 10.5 - when?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Quote:

I don't find web browsing faster on Windows

You don't? I do. (I wish it weren't so...)

The Mac, or rather the PPC? Or the PPC version of 'X' seems to struggle with Web Page speed, flash (Strange coincidence, the Mac version has sucked hard for a long time...), Open GL. (Check out the Doom 3 scores vs Mac Doom 3 scores...)

Clearly, there's something going on with graphics redraw speeds on 'X'/PPC. 3D and 2D?

It could be optimisation. The PPC cpu not being fast enough. Compilers for PPC cpu not being upto scratch in the way Intel's compiler's are.

Maybe, more resources have been poured into Wintel graphics. And optimisation is the key. Graphics cards on the Mac perform less than half as good as Wintel counterparts.

But I know that web browsing on a Mac Mini is pause worthy. Same on an iBook. The PowerMac is faster but doesn't have the same 'snap' to draw as an average Wintel PC does. And this is on a dual processor machine? Where, in real world tasks the PowerMac is level or ahead. So I find it quite strange...

Maybe it's the fact that 'X' and it's fancy 'fluff' is doing more than 'XP'. Dunno. But something is amiss and I'm not the only person to notice it. I won't take a bullet for a Mac. I find it slower. That's it.

Web-browsing on the Mac is just a small part of a bigger problem. It will be interesting to see how the Intel 'X' port performs on actual 'Intel' Mac hardware.

Your mileage clearly varies. Try something more modern than a Pentium ii? If not, what hardware are you browsing on?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 42 of 47
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

You don't? I do. (I wish it weren't so...)

The Mac, or rather the PPC? Or the PPC version of 'X' seems to struggle with Web Page speed

Not here. On the other hand IE on Windows seems very slow sometimes with multiple pages/windows open - I have to wait for IE.

Quote:

flash (Strange coincidence, the Mac version has sucked hard for a long time...),

Bad coding I guess, and putting another processor in the Mac won't help that.

Flash 8 beta is faster than 7 - perhaps they got better at coding Mac plugins

Quote:

Open GL. (Check out the Doom 3 scores vs Mac Doom 3 scores...)

That certainly doesn't have anything to do with the processor.

Quote:

The PowerMac is faster but doesn't have the same 'snap' to draw as an average Wintel PC does.

That's up to the developers to decide when the page shows. Older Safari versions were even slower to show the page because it waited until it was all loaded. You can even change the setting in Terminal but it only makes it seem faster, the whole page is finished at the same time.

Quote:

Maybe it's the fact that 'X' and it's fancy 'fluff' is doing more than 'XP'. Dunno. But something is amiss and I'm not the only person to notice it. I won't take a bullet for a Mac. I find it slower. That's it.

Settings also have an impact. Setting the Key Repeat Rate and Delay Until Repeat to Fast and Short will make the system seem faster in some situations since it responds quicker.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    I think the evidence shows that short of Apple's own brilliant technologies (Core Image/Video...) that software by MS eg IExplorer...flash etc make browsing clearly slower than their windows counterparts. Waiting...and waiting...oh, IExplorer has finally loaded a page. Flash, chugga, chugga, chugga...look...flash...is...work-ing...slo-w-ly....

It doesn't just affect browsing, it was the same for Premiere until Apple sawed Adobe's legs off at the Knees... (Adobe had it coming...)

Optimisation clearly is a problem for PPC. Support isn't as robust as the Intel platform. Having to hear all the time how great Intel compilers are and how great IBM's compilers are but they won't licence them or Apple won't because they are too expensive...so they go for something free but where the PPC version needed improving...

Though X-Code seems to be making waves...at optimising and whipping up apps quicker in a better environment? Hopefully that will help M$, Adobe etc move from Slodewarrior to X-Code. Maybe we'll stop getting crap ports or 'slllllllow' ports...with bugs galore...

The move to Intel processors? I believe that will help. Because they are so much more commited to the Desktop cpu/laptop cpu. We'll see. But I think software will 'snappy' up.

It's going to be really interesting to see how 'X' and apps perform on MacTel.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 44 of 47
    As for 10.5.

Optimised for Intel platform.

Open GL2 (please? for the love of gawd...)

Quartz Extreme 3 (with 2D acceleration?)

Lower boot times. Or even Instant on with everything stored in a flash memory based rom?

More candy. Lots more eye candy.

Have the Mac '101' help from Apple's website installed as part of the OS Help.

Core 3D Api (did I say Open GL2 with scaleable tech' for portable devices...)

Refined interface. Polish & Consistency.

With more Skins that perhaps reflect the products: eg clear acrylic, shredder metal, aqua, enable white...etc...

Web-Page Extreme (for accelerating web page...drawing...wait...we'll be on Intel Cpus...so it won't matter...)

A 'kick ass' effort on optimisation everything for Dual Core processors ie auto-threading for dinosaur apps like Photoshop.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 45 of 47
    some nice ideas

you know how steve said that they have had two version of the os for years do you think they will continue with that?

and i maybe apple won't sell the OS to other pc companys but what about the app's?

ilife on a sony they already ship itunes with HP pc (yes i now it is free download and they just about to stop it)but still the only way to get it other then that is download it or buy an ipod?

and for some of the pro app's to realy dominate the market they would have to work on both platforms like final cut and shake,dvd pro

i also agree with more interface design chouse i would love to see a brushed metal with glass mix would look sweet

just some thoughts
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Quote:

That certainly doesn't have anything to do with the processor.

It does when you have antiquated G4s. Stalled G5 development and GPUS that aren't optimised. The latest GPUS need even faster cpus to push them higher. And that's on the PC side were things are clearly better optimised.

It doesn't change the fact that Open GL, flash and Web browsing need improvement. But it's academic.

We're going Intel.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I'm not talking about what is possible, I'm talking about what windows offers as a out of the box solution in their opperating system. Most people won't know how to change account settings other than the default "Admin" and "Limited". With the Registry Editor you can do anything you goddam please.

You actually don't need to go into the registry to make modifications. It's all upfront and with the use. Plus, there is actually a whole list of 'types' of users that you can be, including "Administrator", "Power Users", "Backup Operators", "Users" etc...

If you want to change the local policy all you do is go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy. Its not hard, and you can walk any basic user through it. AND it doesnt require editing the registry.

Windows is actually very powerful when it comes to setting up user limitations and stuff... Oh and btw, if a user isnt smart enough to change the security policy, chances are they don't really care and dont really have a reason to