Microsoft to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by tirefire

If you need an all-in-one messenger client that supports AIM, MSN, Yahoo! and more, it's waiting right here .

I forget does adium support multi users for the same protocol? ie multiple MSN accounts at the same time?
  • Reply 22 of 66
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Its about damn time!
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by KeyMACer

I forget does adium support multi users for the same protocol? ie multiple MSN accounts at the same time?

Yes, I believe it does.

Adium is still early days, but you can configure it to be as good, better in my experience than Microsoft's Messenger. They seem to be ahead of MS so far and I believe they are looking to implement games and video chat into it one day.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    There was over 22 000 signings for this next version of mac messenger over at PetitionOnline, and i think that the majority of people would be quite dissapointed with this version. All i hear so far is that you get emoticons, and still cant use video chat or online games.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    rdas7rdas7 Posts: 32member
    I for one am excited about this new release of Messenger. I've been looking forward to using emoticons since 1998.

Please. "MSN to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac" <- who, honestly, cares?

I just don't understand how such lame software continues to exist based merely on the "name brand"... no tabs? no multi-protocol? What's the game?

AdiumX, Proteus, or any of the INSANELY GREAT software out there runs circles around this bloatware. Oh wait... hang on, instead of paying shareware, maybe I'll donate 5% of my screen to flashing ads... hey, at least it's Microsoft-Approved software! Gee, I don't know about using this "adium" thing... I'm not even sure how to pronounce it...

Sorry, I'll get flamed for this rant I know. If anyone else wrote a program like Messenger 5 and put it in the forums, I promise no one would care.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rdas7

Sorry, I'll get flamed for this rant I know. If anyone else wrote a program like Messenger 5 and put it in the forums, I promise no one would care.

While true, the big problem with Adium, Proteus and multi-IM clients is that their using reverse-engineered protocols. They're not the ones that are in control. I love the idea of having on IM client do everything (a lot do) but I'm not so sure about sacrificing stability over it. Adium and the likes have to be updated on a regular basis to keep up with the official protocols.

I love Adium and Proteus but nothing beats official support from the original company.

That said, I'm very sad MS just doesn't care enough to bring the full feature set to Mac.

Messenger and Media Player for Mac are right up there with the most disgusting apps out on Mac.

Yahoo and MS (and AIM) have really have issues when it comes to this stuff. I'm glad Apple stepped up and released iChat. We can at least get decent AIM/ICQ IM chatting (official support to boot).

At least with MSN 5, we're getting a few more needed features. Unfortunately, on the PC, MSN has grown into a monster. Bloatware at its finest...with games, huge emoticons, flashy gizmos that have nothing to do with chatting.

IMO, it's debatable how much of that garbage should be ported over to the Mac version. Some would argue that it's important to have full compatibility with the PC version (I think it's important) but some would argue that some of these features are annoying and useless (I really don't want large emoticons obscuring the entire screen when I'm using my computer).

MSN Messenger isn't a pure chat-client anymore...it's a platform. Chat, play games, share pictures, files. The purpose of MSN Messenger is blurred. I'd rather see several different apps than one big one.

Anyways...I'm off on a tangent. What I really want to say is that some people like the official apps because they're for sure going to work...it's just too bad MS (and Yahoo and AIM) cripple these apps so badly when Apple at least offers full iTunes and QuickTime instead of a one-legged mutant version of these apps.

It's bad practice...and it's why I hate Microsoft. They're playing unfairly and I don't think that's right.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    rdas7rdas7 Posts: 32member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I love the idea of having on IM client do everything (a lot do) but I'm not so sure about sacrificing stability over it. Adium and the likes have to be updated on a regular basis to keep up with the official protocols.

I love Adium and Proteus but nothing beats official support from the original company.

<snip>

Anyways...I'm off on a tangent. What I really want to say is that some people like the official apps because they're for sure going to work...

Right, but the important distinction to make here is that Adium (for instance) *is* stable. It *does* work. I wouldn't call Messenger any more or less "stable"... Plus Adium is updated frequently (I believe people had to PETITION Microsoft for an update to their software). Adium incorporates support for things like Growl and AppleScript, etc... as well as protocols from Gadu-Gadu to AIM. Completely customizable interface, tabs, multiple accounts, etc...

I just get the picture that the MS developers dont' really use computers all that much. Or at least, only occasionally browse the internets. How could you officially release software that is so blatently poor? And take so long to do it?

Oh wait, I think I'm off on a tangent too. Were we talking about their operating system or their messenger client? :/
  • Reply 28 of 66
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rdas7

Right, but the important distinction to make here is that Adium (for instance) *is* stable. It *does* work. I wouldn't call Messenger any more or less "stable"... Plus Adium is updated frequently (I believe people had to PETITION Microsoft for an update to their software). Adium incorporates support for things like Growl and AppleScript, etc... as well as protocols from Gadu-Gadu to AIM. Completely customizable interface, tabs, multiple accounts, etc...

I just get the picture that the MS developers dont' really use computers all that much. Or at least, only occasionally browse the internets. How could you officially release software that is so blatently poor? And take so long to do it?

I agree on pretty much everything.

It's still nice (even though the effort is poor and the updates are far and few) to see continued work on the official client. At least they didn't pull an Internet Explorer: mac on us. Could you imagine if they dropped MSN Messenger support from Mac? Some people that refuse to use Adium or Proteus even though they work better and have more features than the official client would switch to PC.

Yahoo has essentially abandoned the Mac for its IM client. Pretty sad really.

From the looks of it MSN 5 is a complete rewrite (probably Cocoa)...if the app is released today, we'll know for sure if it's a rewrite or not. If it is a rewrite, there is a much better chance that the code will be easier to maintain. The official MSN Messenger's future looks brighter than it did a before this announcement (or before screenshots of MSN Messenger 5 were shown).

Official support is always a good thing (even if the third-party products do it better.) Some people like the simplicity of iChat and Messenger over the flexibility of Adium, Proteus, Trillian.

edit: apparently the new Messenger is in .NET not Cocoa.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    Whoa! i've just downloaded Adium.. and it's pretty sweet.. well.. it doesn't have the cam feat. but it still kicks ass.. i've also tried that jabber-msn thingy.. it's a big disappointment.. IMO, adium is waaaaaaaaaaay better than that pathetic crappy msn messenger.. i bet that 5.0 is an other load of crap.. oh well.. what else do you expect from microsuck...?
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Yahoo has essentially abandoned the Mac for its IM client. Pretty sad really.

The current version of Yahoo! Messenger for Mac is pretty decent; it has webcam and everything...
  • Reply 31 of 66
    gramscigramsci Posts: 35member
    Ok, it has been released into the wild - but not on microsoft's web pages!
  • Reply 32 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

I still can't get WMP to work with Tiger.

What's that about?

You need to go to home/library/preferences and trash the "window media player preferences" probably all the way on the bottom of the list. Should work after that...
  • Reply 33 of 66
    where is it then? There's a link to download on the Australian site but it doesn't work yet.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    gramscigramsci Posts: 35member
    I meant that it has been announced, but no download!

I'm sure the Mac BU at Microsoft are not responsible for this...
  • Reply 35 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Marsh

I'd much rather see iChat able to communicate with MSN Messenger accounts, as it can with AIM accounts. I like iChat, and would prefer to use only one messenger client.

why should any apple person be using a MS product when apple should develope a quality alternative. OK to get ichat to work with MSM you have to have the guts and patience to do the jabber work around---huh what gives apple. I chat should work with the top IM software. if my friends have 3 different IM clients , what do we do? more and more people are going tiger and apple so lets get ichat up to speed.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    where is it?!

the worst crappyware is the kind you cannot download.

other notable msn client is aMSN. It's decent, not perfect. It hasn't been updated for a while tho.

Mercury is nice because it has a broad set of features but unfortunately it seems to be coded in Java so it's painfully slow. Irritating sometimes.

Adium is as good as it gets.

Personally I'll be satisfied with full emoticon support (show, receive, send, save), display pictures, personal messages and iTunes-song-as-a-personal-message. Everything else doesn't do much for me.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    The screenshots and info are on the Microsoft website now but the download link isn't working.
  • Reply 38 of 66
  • Reply 39 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    is adium easy to set up? does it include a good user guide. if i can keep away from MS i'd like to. what about virus and worms?

so would you use adium or MS when the downloard for 5.0 appears???
  • Reply 40 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Download link is now live:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloa...gnosysreq=True

damn slow though...