Microsoft to roll-out Messenger 5.0 for Mac

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    Came down fast enough for me.

I like the new client, renamed 'Microsoft Messenger' rather than MSN Messenger. It's not changed a lot at all, but all my friends use MSN, interface is good and it's nice and easy to use.

Good stuff.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

Came down fast enough for me.

I like the new client, renamed 'Microsoft Messenger' rather than MSN Messenger. It's not changed a lot at all, but all my friends use MSN, interface is good and it's nice and easy to use.

Good stuff.

I'm getting a solid 8.3 KB/sec Only 4 minutes to go!
  • Reply 43 of 66
    jezus, it even looks ugly as hell. Downloaded it and it wont connect. Even my old messenger wont connect anymore. They better stop making crap like this and leave the work to the open source community. amsn is still the best. Am curious though which asshole decides on what features they put in the mac version. Must be like longhorn, they work on crap, delay it, delay it, delay it and then when you get it, it's missing feautures. lol

anyway, it's going out the door, will use mercury and amsn instead.
  • Reply 44 of 66
    It's OK but they've messed up the brushed metal thing; you can only move conversation windows with the title bar which is dumb because brushed metal generally allows you to grab any metallic bit of the window to move it.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, i don't hate it. and, after viewing top in terminal, unlike previous msn messengers, it doesn't seem to be gobbling up processing time, which is a good thing.

how come my contacts aren't popping up? i thought they were supposed to be synced with my microsoft account? or did they purge it because i hadn't logged into my account in so long?
  • Reply 46 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so which way to go adium or ms 5.0??
  • Reply 47 of 66
    go with Adium or Proteus.

adding brushed metal does not deem it worthy of x.0 status. This should be Messenger 4.5 or something. downloaded, tried and trashed.
  • Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by sobelizzard

go with Adium or ...

is it just me, or does the duck-thing bug anyone else?
  • Reply 49 of 66
    okay I downloaded it and it's working now. No big upgrade. Adium is still better.

Adium is easy to set up too. And you can customize the contact list and chat windows in so many different ways.

Mediocre effort on Microsoft's part tho. Too little, too late. They have a lot of catching up to do.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

i would've preferred a chicken if you ask me.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

Apparently, if you're creating a project based on open source code, you have to have a logo that's a stinking pile of crap. It seems to be the norm.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

Adium is *very* customizable. You can turn off the *Quack* sounds if you want.
  • Reply 53 of 66
    waneawanea Posts: 62member
    it's sad that microsoft didn't want to offer something better to mac users...it's a vicious cycle...mac users talk dirty about microsoft, microsoft doesn't love at all mac users so...the efforts from microsfot to make good software for mac isn't that much...

msn 5.0 is not even near to an answer to mac users' requests...

peace
  • Reply 54 of 66
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    Is it just me or is anyone else's icon in the dock not showing the little clock when MSN is put on away status?
  • Reply 55 of 66
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Apparently, if you're creating a project based on open source code, you have to have a logo that's a stinking pile of crap. It seems to be the norm.

What a load of garbage.
  • Reply 56 of 66
    makkemakke Posts: 16member
    Downloaded it today, and I like it so far, is working, has a better look and feel than the previous version. Does the trick for me ...
  • Reply 57 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What a load of garbage.

Why?

Even considering the fact that an open source project can't afford to hire a graphic designer to come up with a coherent branding, is it really that hard for a group of programmers to sit around a table and not say, "I think a green cartoon duck is the perfect icon for our instant messaging program?"

Ducks and instant messaging - like two peas in a pod.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

What a load of garbage.

my guess is that he's thinking of icons like GIMP (that cartoon monkey dog hyena weasel thing) and adium (green cartoon duck that just keeps STARING at you...). but having money isn't an issue. seriously, if those involved with these apps just put out a general call for icon design, people would flock to their doorstep, just for the chance of having their icon being downloaded by thousands (or millions) of people.

well, anyway, didn't mean to hijack this thread... as compensation, i will point out also that microsoft as more money than god, yet can't come up with better icons than pseudo-letters and two generic, poorly rendered people-shaped but ethnically-and-gender-ambiguous-to-avoid-lawsuit "people."
  • Reply 59 of 66
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i use the purple duck my wife thinks it's cute, as i understand it better, i will change the quack to a simple spash sound. hmmmm have to look though the info guides.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    No video chat? Why the fuck else would we care about this fucking update. Seriously wtf mate.