Apple unwraps iTunes 5

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am liking it. Seems faster and more responsive. Better graphical display, also you can minimize the minimized window to just show the buttons. Pretty sweet.

Edit: One thing I have noticed, I cannot see shared iTunes playlists from others on my network who have iTunes 4.xx, weird.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple today introduced iTunes 5, bringing new features and a refined look to its industry leading digital music jukebox and online music store.

iTunes 5 includes a new Search Bar to make it easier for users to find what theyÂ?re searching for;Â*the ability to organize playlists into folders; Smart Shuffle, which lets the user change the Â?randomnessÂ? of shuffled songs; and the ability for Windows users to automatically sync contacts and calendars from Outlook onto their iPods.

The iTunes Music Store has also added parental controls and album reviews, and now features a catalog of over two million songs, making it the largest online music catalog in the world.

Â?iTunes is widely regarded as the best jukebox, with the worldÂ?s most popular online music store built right in,Â? said Steve Jobs, AppleÂ?s CEO. Â?We are constantly improving iTunes with new features like Podcasting and better searching because we love music ourselves and want to surprise and delight music fans around the world.Â?

iTunes 5Â?s new Search Bar was designed to let users find exactly what they are looking for within the catalog of two million songs, 15,000 Podcasts and 10,000 audiobooks on the iTunes Music Store, in addition to everything in their own iTunes music library.Â*

iTunes and the iTunes Music Store have a new refined look, as well as parental controls allowing parents to determine which music and Podcasts their children can access on the iTunes Music Store.

iTunes 5.0 also introduces the ability to organize playlists into folders and have greater control over random playback with the new Smart Shuffle feature.Â*Windows iPod users can now use iTunes toÂ*automaticallyÂ*sync calendars with Outlook or contacts with Outlook or Outlook Express.

Pricing & Availability

iTunes 5 for Mac and Windows includes the iTunes Music Store and is available as a free download immediately from www.apple.com/itunes.
  • Reply 2 of 162
    Really like iTunes 5 so far, very slick indeed.

How do you do the minimised play controls?
  • Reply 3 of 162
    Am I the only person who gets an error message ("Please quit iTunes before beginning this update.") repeatedly flash up when trying to install? I restarted and didn't even open iTunes and it still did it...

Will I have to wait for Software Update to get it?
  • Reply 4 of 162
    Couple of thing...

1. Could the new look signal a new "sleeker" brushed metal? I quite like it, but will we have to wait for 10.5 to be used through out the system...

2. Seems to be still carbon, I wonder if it is now is a universal binary that runs on Intel and PPC.

3. I was expecting more features for a major release.

4. Seems faster!

• Reply 5 of 162
    In OS X, clicking the + button up top minimizes to the traditional small player. Then click the bottom right corner and drag left and the window will pop into the smaller mode.
  • Reply 6 of 162
    I pulled down iTunes 5 for Windows and so far I'm not impressed.

1) They did away with the title bar. Windows apps typically have an icon in the upper left corner of a window followed by the application name and possibly some other info (like the name of the open file). Apple has ignored this convention and mashed the menu into the tippy top of the window. And they've replaced the normal Windows minimize, maximize, and close buttons with their own (very small) ones.

2) The new folders are nice, but you can't Shift-select items in the "Source" pane, so you have to drag each item individually.

3) You can't secondary-click in the Source pane to bring up a contextual menu to create a new folder (or anything else).

4) They STILL bundle QuickTime with the iTunes download. Hello! I already have QuickTime, thank you. I don't need it reinstalling itself and populating my taskbar with icons.

5) They've dropped the brushed aluminum for a grey gradient.

Nothing else to report after using it five minutes.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 7 of 162
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    I'm stuck at work and the screenshot on Apple's site is too small to see details. Any chance someone could throw a couple of screenshots up on image cave or something? And if not, that's cool too...
  • Reply 8 of 162
    looks like itunes 5 can now handle my 4g 40G ipod as well as the 1G shuffle at the same time on my windows machine - did not work before.

however, as they update all the songs again on both pods, they might have been doing some DRM stuff, i do not even want to know about...
  • Reply 9 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

1) They did away with the title bar. Windows apps typically have an icon in the upper left corner of a window followed by the application name and possibly some other info (like the name of the open file). Apple has ignored this convention and mashed the menu into the tippy top of the window. And they've replaced the normal Windows minimize, maximize, and close buttons with their own (very small) ones.

2) The new folders are nice, but you can't Shift-select items in the "Source" pane, so you have to drag each item individually.

3) You can't secondary-click in the Source pane to bring up a contextual menu to create a new folder (or anything else).

4) They STILL bundle QuickTime with the iTunes download. Hello! I already have QuickTime, thank you. I don't need it reinstalling itself and populating my taskbar with icons.

5) They've dropped the brushed aluminum for a grey gradient.

Nothing else to report after using it five minutes.

- Jasen.

1 - It's been a long time since I've used iTunes in Windows, but I seem to recall that was already the case in iTunes 4?

2 - Yah, that does kind of suck, actually.

3 - Weird; are you sure there isn't some kind of shortcut like that? Very unApple

4 - Hello! New version of Quicktime supporting HD codec. So you didn't have it already.

5 - Well, I for one am glad they're moving out of the brushed aluminum; it's been inconsistently applied in apps for some time now. Now all they need to get rid of are the candy-colored menu buttons... like they have on the pro-apps.
  • Reply 10 of 162
  • Reply 11 of 162
    BuonRotto called this one when he said that Apple was slowly merging Aqua and Brushed metal. The Unified titlebar/toolbar was part of that. This appears to be another step in that direction.
  • Reply 12 of 162
    The search bar looks the same as it always has - what's supposedly new about it?
  • Reply 13 of 162
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

I pretty much have the same reaction as you. It's really hard to drag the full-size window around without a title bar. It's so disgustingly gross that I wonder if this is some sort of rendering bug, and it was supposed to be reasonable.

I had the beta of Quicktime 7 installed, but it's likely that iTunes 5 required a newer version, so installing Quicktime 7 doesn't bug me... but polluting my toolbar when I *explicitly* set my previous Quicktime install *not* to is very annoying.

It would also be nice to have a quick mouse-driven way to switch between mini and normal players like exists in the MacOS X version.
  • Reply 14 of 162
    ajayajay Posts: 117member
    when Quicktime (v 7.02) was available via "Software Update", why not iTunes5?

was kinda pi**ed when i had to restart after updating quicktime *AND* then after installing the new itunes!!!

• Reply 15 of 162
    jphjph Posts: 5member
    "Am I the only person who gets an error message ("Please quit iTunes before beginning this update.") repeatedly flash up when trying to install? I restarted and didn't even open iTunes and it still did it..."

Same problem here! Had to restart (force quit doesn´t work)...

I´ll wait till it pops up in software update....
  • Reply 16 of 162
    Am I the only person not loving the new interface?

On the bright side, they have added a lot of things I wanted- playlist folders are handy, and the new search is very useful.

I got the error message regarding closing iTunes too when updating, but it was cured by closing iTunes! I also fell foul to two restarts however (quicktime and iTunes)
  • Reply 17 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by Engine Joe

The search bar looks the same as it always has - what's supposedly new about it?

Type in a search and all becomes clear. It now allows you to choose what content to search, and if you have browser column view enabled, the column contents now reflect search results, something that pleases me no end!
  • Reply 18 of 162
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Nice update. Not sure it deserves being given a "5" designation.
  • Reply 19 of 162
    I still wonder, after all these versions and updates to iTunes, why they haven't integrated hierarchical sorting into the software. I'd really love to have my iTunes library be sorted first by artist and then chronologically within the artist. Simple to implement, not too confusing for the average person to grasp, yet all we can do is sort by one factor.
  • Reply 20 of 162
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

I got the error message regarding closing iTunes too when updating, but it was cured by closing iTunes!

iTunes was definitely closed here...