Whats your favorite Podcast

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Mine, in order is

1) Distorted View Daily. The funniest thing every. I have even come as far as to stop hating myself for liking it. If you are trying it for the first time, DO NOT START OF TUESDAY!

2) Twisted Pickle - great show

3) MacCast -

4) Dawn and Drew - i like them but they are getting old

5) Science Friday

6) Z100 Phone taps

I listen to all of those shows (though i skip many science fridays). Some days i find i have nothing to listen to and other times i have too many.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    1) Orientering

2) Orientering Søndag.

Wouldn´t mean crap to about 95% of the people here.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    This Week in Tech. It's staying near #1 for a reason.

By the way, I also get NO SPAM.

Not really.
  • Reply 3 of 31
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The Majority Report (Air America Radio)

Slacker Astronomy
  • Reply 4 of 31
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I've developed a fondness for "Space Music Hosted by TC".

Really odd Dutch show that frequently mixes in the sounds of "TC"'s day to day life. In one memorable episode he baked a chocolate cake, exclaiming all the while about the quality of his ingredients and his preference for extra cocoa. While the mixer was running he just upped the volume on the droning synth track he had going.

I'm not even that big of fan of "space music", especially the euro old school favored by "TC", but there is something very pleasant and homey about the way this is done, which is the larger appeal of podcasting, in my book.

Also like: "The Sound of the Day" (which features a new version of the theme song every month which, with both an intro and extro passage, generally runs quite a bit longer than the actual "sound" being featured and which I strongly suspect is the actual raison d'ete of the entire enterprise).

Others have said it: Dawn and Drew are weirdly addictive. No apologies.

"One Minute Vacation" wherein people from all over the world record what's happening where they are and send it in to be podcast. Ranging from Buddhist chanting to the ambient sounds of a guy sitting on his front porch in Ohio. Apparently there is a strong sub-culture of audio documentarians whose former vice is now a phenomena.

In this way podcasting changes the world.

By the way, Apple's podcast site is hopelessly weighted towards repackaged corporate media. I would suggest perusing something like Odeo.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    Pretty much the only podcast I listen to is TWiT - This Week In Tech.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    Camp Freddy Radio.
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ke^in

Camp Freddy Radio.

is that dave navarros new band?

mine are

1)history according to bob

2)how to do stuff

3)the lowlife podcast
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

"One Minute Vacation" wherein people from all over the world record what's happening where they are and send it in to be podcast. Ranging from Buddhist chanting to the ambient sounds of a guy sitting on his front porch in Ohio. Apparently there is a strong sub-culture of audio documentarians whose former vice is now a phenomena.

I agree. This is a cool podcast.

However, my favorite podcast, hands-down, is ABC Radio National's "Street Stories" from Australia. In many respects, it reminds me of NPR's "This American Life," except it concerns the lives of Australians--whether they be Australian Jews who have relocated to Jerusalem, or just the adventures of the particular host traveling through the island of Rhodes, Bali, Cuba or wherever. One recent episode dealt with text messaging, and how that impacts dating and sex among Australian 20somethings. Each weekly episode is 30 minutes and I eagerly look forward to every new one. It's very professionally done, with a real "you are there" feel.

In fact, I actually emailed the show, telling them how much I enjoy it, and the producer and one of the hosts were kind enough to write me back. So now, listening to the show has more of a personal connection.

GTSC
  • Reply 9 of 31
    This Week in Science

Science Friday

Living on Earth

NASA's podcast

Science Show

TechNation

Nightline

...In about that order
  • Reply 10 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

This Week in Science

Science Friday

Living on Earth

NASA's podcast

Science Show

TechNation

Nightline

...In about that order

Hmmm...... not a huge fan of the liberal arts, I'm guessing.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Now why can't one like science and liberal arts? I'm just kidding. :-).

I guess i am not a good example because i am very much not a liberal arts fan but i love science. I will have to check out this week in science
  • Reply 12 of 31
    BBC Radio 4

Quirks and Quarks - It's a Canadian Broadcasting Corp. weekly science show but it has stopped until the lockout ends.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Cinecast

Winecast
  • Reply 14 of 31
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    David Lawrence's Personal Netcast. With his radio show aplomb, David mixes the perfect balance of tech and current events / entertainment news.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    bka77bka77 Posts: 331member
    TWiT

Fly with me
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

Hmmm...... not a huge fan of the liberal arts, I'm guessing.

The real problem is I don't have the time to listen to even half of what is on that list, let alone explore other wavelengths. One could say that music I listen to on my iPod is liberal arts-no?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

The real problem is I don't have the time to listen to even half of what is on that list, let alone explore other wavelengths. One could say that music I listen to on my iPod is liberal arts-no?

Absolutely.

It's true, the "problem" with all the new DIY media is that without gatekeepers there is an awful lot of stuff to wade through, and I do mean awful.

Of course, that's also the "solution" of all the new DIY media, since creative people can get stuff out there that never would have gotten past the filters of big media in a million years.

Seems like the best way to navigate is the kind of peer reviewed, web based process that democratizes how we answer the question "what is good?" at the same time we democratize the means of distribution.

I hope that "funky pod casts from hell" type aggregator sites stick around, since there has been an amazingly speedy transition from "pod-what?" to wall to wall main stream media repackage jobs.

It's like Sun records turned into Sony BMG in like 3 months.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Yes, overall the new technology is both overwhelming and a great liberator. I wonder what the music and radio business will look like in 10 years time. Big bucks for promotion still are hard to overcome, but there may be a lot of life in the fringes.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    duhduh Posts: 1member
    My favorite podcast is Vomitus Prime! A wicked funny show. Its not about transformers, but has a loosely based theme of it.

http://www.vomitusprime.com/
  • Reply 20 of 31
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.