Going HD(TV)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

I'm only sitting ~7" away from the TV.

If you mean 7' away from the tv, then 42" is the ideal size to get a 30 degree field of view (like a movie theater).
  • Reply 22 of 83
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    If you're going plasma be aware of the picture/audio sync issue on some of them.

The plasmas we have here at work (made by Sony), the picture is 2-3 frames later than the audio. This makes for some rubbery dialog.

To prevent burn-in, when the picture is paused or static the image shifts one pixel every few seconds. It seems to work.

The new 3LCD Sonys that are out look fantastic.

In the Sony employee store on the Studio lot where I work I can get this 42" 3LCD for $1250.

I don't need a new TV, but there's nothing like the NFL in HD.

I'm very tempted.
  • Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

I like the Panasonic TH-50PHD7UY 50" plasma - nice picture, does not reflect window light, long life, burn in protection, and cool replaceable input modules for different input types (DVI, etc).

I second this motion. I'm putting the credit into action in a month or so and buying this exact model. The reviews on this set are outstanding. The picture quality is stunning. The size is ideal for my apartment.

$3599 at Amazon.com and J&R.
  • Reply 24 of 83
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

If you're going plasma be aware of the picture/audio sync issue on some of them.

The plasmas we have here at work (made by Sony), the picture is 2-3 frames later than the audio. This makes for some rubbery dialog.

To prevent burn-in, when the picture is paused or static the image shifts one pixel every few seconds. It seems to work.

The new 3LCD Sonys that are out look fantastic.

In the Sony employee store on the Studio lot where I work I can get this 42" 3LCD for $1250.

I don't need a new TV, but there's nothing like the NFL in HD.

I'm very tempted.

Sony LCDs are great, their plasmas aren't though. Go Panasonic, Fujitsu, Hitachi or one of the other big brands for plasmas, it just isn't Sony's area.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

There is nothing about plasma technology (vs LCD, CRT, etc) that would make audio/video sync any harder. It just sounds like either Sony's QA guys are asleep at the wheel, or else you just got a bad batch.

Avoiding plasma tvs for this reason would be like avoiding all cars because your Dodge stalled often.
  • Reply 26 of 83
    m1cm1c Posts: 47member
    also in thinking about Widescreen, you said that you play video games and I'm not sure about the Revolution but I know that I have heard that the Xbox 360's games will be in widescreen. Which is awesome since I just bought a widescreen HDTV.
  • Reply 27 of 83
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

There is nothing about plasma technology (vs LCD, CRT, etc) that would make audio/video sync any harder. It just sounds like either Sony's QA guys are asleep at the wheel, or else you just got a bad batch.

All plasmas have this issue to a certain degree. It's not simply a Sony problem.

A simple Google search will show you that.

Our studios' Chief Tech checked it out and quantified the actual video delay in relation to the audio on the model of plasma that we use.

The solution is to add digital audio delay lines to compensate.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    the plasma you saw was *probably* horribly pixelated close up because it was nowhere near the 1280x720p spec.

the Aquos is very very beautiful but LCD just doesnt have that emotion that plasma viewing gives with the rich blacks... something about the plasma...

one thing i will say is that DLP rear-projection bugs me because when you stand in front of it and move your head around you can see how the brightness changes depending on which angle you are viewing it from.

right now IMHO your best bet is a genuine 1280x720p plasma that addresses the shortcomings of plasma - namely, burn in issues, it should have a decent 3 year warranty, and it should upscale standard definition well.

if you're into it and your HD source is amenable to it, get an iMac or single g5 powermac refurb or somethin and use it to store shows and drive the aquos at 1280x720 res.

hah! i've got so many ideas about this hdtv thing but right now ~ NO BLOODY HDTV CONTENT in my ASS OF THE WORLD an appleinsider member also known as "riaa's most wanted" was kind enough to seed some 720p h.264 star wars but again, due to location and bandwidth problems, me no could download it.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    oh yeah. widescreen. for xbox360 and/or ps2
  • Reply 30 of 83
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    e#s:

Quote:

If you mean 7' away from the tv, then 42" is the ideal size to get a 30 degree field of view (like a movie theater).

You don't say?

The physical space for my TV is 51". The chassis of the unit can be no wider than that. But after walking around a dozen different stores and checking things out I've noticed 2 things:

1) I might not kick a 42" set out of bed for eating crackers.

2) While plasmas do look richer than LCDs, the difference isn't deal-breaking, especially considering the things the LCD has in its favor.

With regards to the 50" Panasonic plasma set you mentioned, are those the same panels as the TH-50PX50U?

I know the PX is 8th generation. If I go plasma I want the newest of the new.

Sharp updated their 1080p line of LCDs. I'm going to wait and see how the pricing on those lines up before making any decisions. When it comes to spending this much, I'm happy to wait a bit.
  • Reply 31 of 83
    Quote:

e#s:

You don't say?

The physical space for my TV is 51". The chassis of the unit can be no wider than that. But after walking around a dozen different stores and checking things out I've noticed 2 things:

1) I might not kick a 42" set out of bed for eating crackers.

2) While plasmas do look richer than LCDs, the difference isn't deal-breaking, especially considering the things the LCD has in its favor.

With regards to the 50" Panasonic plasma set you mentioned, are those the same panels as the TH-50PX50U?

I know the PX is 8th generation. If I go plasma I want the newest of the new.

Sharp updated their 1080p line of LCDs. I'm going to wait and see how the pricing on those lines up before making any decisions. When it comes to spending this much, I'm happy to wait a bit.

Take a look at the two screens when there is sunshine through a window behind you, and I think that the plasma->LCD gap will widen, as the plasma does not reflect light as much.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...uk-review.html

"the TH-42PX50U, uses the same panel 7th generation panel as the discontinued 42-inch TH-PWD7UY pro display. For now, the newest 8th generation panel can only be had in the TH-42PWD8UK or in the Panasonic Onyx series of high end consumer line plasma"

but they also say that there is almost no difference between the 7th generation and the 8th generation. I have been hemming and hawing about buying a 50" plasma for a year now, and the street price has dropped from $4500 to $2700 in that time.

• Reply 32 of 83
    I don't have a window behind my couch, so that's not really a problem.

I have a rather large window (110"x75") about 4 feet to the left of the TV but it has 2" blinds and will soon have a nice curtain on it. Glare isn't a big problem until my wife walks into the room.

Although she loves to go to the movies, she doesn't really seem grasp the concept that, when watching television, the television needs to be the main source of light in the room.

Apparently what TVs have been missing all these years are 80-watt floor lamps shining directly at the screen!

Is that just a woman thing? Her cousin does the same thing with her husband. He and I were watching a baseball game with most of the lights off and she comes in and says "it's too dark in here" and turns some lights on, washing the screen out.

Nothing 7 or 8 oranges in a pillowcase wouldn't fix.
  • Reply 33 of 83
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

I don't have a window behind my couch, so that's not really a problem.

I have a rather large window (110"x75") about 4 feet to the left of the TV but it has 2" blinds and will soon have a nice curtain on it. Glare isn't a big problem until my wife walks into the room.

Although she loves to go to the movies, she doesn't really seem grasp the concept that, when watching television, the television needs to be the main source of light in the room.

Apparently what TVs have been missing all these years are 80-watt floor lamps shining directly at the screen!

Is that just a woman thing? Her cousin does the same thing with her husband. He and I were watching a baseball game with most of the lights off and she comes in and says "it's too dark in here" and turns some lights on, washing the screen out.

Nothing 7 or 8 oranges in a pillowcase wouldn't fix.

Quick fix: use a couple scaunces mounted at least 1 foot above the top of the TV behind the couch - enough to light up the room and maybe even read by - but since the light is first reflecting off of the sealing, it will be a lot softer and will not hit the TV directly.
  • Reply 34 of 83
    Quote:

....Glare isn't a big problem until my wife walks into the room......

brilliant! domesticities aside, aquos full-spec 1080p would be jaw dropping. but you'd wanna hook up a mac or pc or something to it to enjoy that resolution as well**, given that most signals conceivably for the next few years will only be 720p/1080i. although of course i am not up to speed on the latest bluray/hddvd/north-american hdtv plans for delivering full-spec 1080p signals...

**although checking your email in bed using a wireless mouse/keyboard connected to the Aquos display may cause more glaring from your spouse
  • Reply 35 of 83
    I'm not married to 1080p, but I do plan on keeping this TV for quite a long time. I won't mind spending a little more for future-proofing.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    cool make sure you check the range of 1080p then that the aquos you might buy will support -- 1080 24p, 30p, 60p, etc... true 1080p spec should support all those. i'm just a bit paranoid of certain manufacturers cutting corners, you don't want to be suckered into "oh it's 1080-24p only, but you do get 1080-60i"
  • Reply 37 of 83
    I am not married to a Sharp LCD either. I'll be interested to know what plasma makers have up their sleeves for 1080p. Sadly it looks like they've got a whole lot of nothing for now.

Unless DLP makers suddenly resolve their horrible viewing angle problems and game-killing delay issues I am only looking at flat-panels now.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    currently DLP is maxed out at 1280 or something in pixels even with wobulation i am not sure but for some reason it appears DLP cannot do that 1920 width "in true pixels". so they are technically not full 1080p (1920x1080) ... this is the thing that TV still pisses me off about, they cant have measurable standards and benchmarks because each manufacturer fudges things a little, and now buckle up for a bit of bluray-vs-hddvd foofarah. i pity the fool(s) on the losing side of that.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    Quote:

I am not married to a Sharp LCD either. I'll be interested to know what plasma makers have up their sleeves for 1080p. Sadly it looks like they've got a whole lot of nothing for now.

Unless DLP makers suddenly resolve their horrible viewing angle problems and game-killing delay issues I am only looking at flat-panels now.

Can you even see the difference between 1080p and 720p on such a small screen? I can understand wanting 1080p on a front projector when you are using a 10' screen or something, but not on a 42" flatscreen.
  • Reply 40 of 83
    Quote:

Can you even see the difference between 1080p and 720p on such a small screen?

Definitely.

One can say that true, full 720p is good enough and I won't argue because it is damned beautiful, but I have yet to read anything about there being some top-end, magic number of pixels.

Also, chances are that I'll be building a home theater PC, which would expand my 1080p options greatly.

Right now, I'd spend maybe $500 or $600 for 1080p over 720p all other things being equal. That might change.