Going HD(TV)

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by fieldor

http://www.samsung.com/be-nl/product...ws_32z306v.asp

It's a dutch site but you get the idea, there is no info about lines. Could this be a EDTV?

cool yeah it says 100hz but nothing about lines... so yeah my guess is 400-500 lines which puts it in the EDTV range... so 720p 1080i HDTV signals should all, in theory, look around full-DVD-quality.

16:9 widescreen is nice......................

you know, for people that watch mostly DVDs and standard definition, in countries where HD channels are only just starting to appear, this would be something i would go for.

what HD channels do you have in Belgium at the moment? i'm curious.
  • Reply 62 of 83
    They just started with digital TV with two major players. They are both trying to gain people by offering loads of football (soccer). But for now my family is not biting.

1: http://www.belgacom.be/private/en/js...belgacomtv.jsp

2: http://televisie.telenet.be/nl/zende...sisaanbod.html

I am interested in true HDTV for gaming (xbox 360), DVD ( although you only need 480p), and perhaps for iPhoto or other programs with our Powerbook.

I just read the article below and they say EDTV is not an option for the longterm. I could do some more research about it, but I am stuck on 56kbps for a few days due to bandwidth restrictions.

http://www.slate.com/id/2126799/
  • Reply 63 of 83
    Originally posted by fieldor

.... I could do some more research about it, but I am stuck on 56kbps for a few days due to bandwidth restrictions.....

yeah, damn all those pr0n sites and those big movie files just kidding mate.... thanks for links, i am curious about hdtv offerings in euroland.

EDTV is an option for a 3 year window while xbox360, ps3, macintels, bluray/hddvd, 720p/1080i/1080p sources all settle in... don't forget all that HDCP crap which might render current 720p/1080i HDTVs obsolete in a few years too....

edit: i checked out the links you supplied, while it does talk about "digital tv" there is no mention i could find about "high definition"... i'm not biting too at the moment from what i can see, although of course i don't know german/dutch/belgian or any other language besides english.

edit2: i honestly think a *widescreen* 400-500 line CRT with component and svideo inputs will be a very reasonable compromise for quality/price for a 3-5 year window, for xbox360 gaming, showing iPhoto pictures from your powerbook via s-video, viewing divx video on your tv, dvd watching, and digital EDTV, and the first smatterings of 720p/1080i digital cable/satellite... i know that NBA, American Football (NFL) have started some HDTV broadcasts, but i am curious now about premiere league, serieA, bundesliga, etc... are they now capturing those matches in 720p or 1080i already? what about world cup 2006 germany? that might be a good if somewhat more expensive than usual time to get a "real HDTV" if all the matches have the option of being watched in full 720p....

edit3: (i'll shut up soon)... from what i have seen at stores, unless you buy a very expensive upscaler EDTV and SDTV signals do not look very nice on 720p/1080i HDTV sets bigger than 42"... my 2 cents.
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Well one of those providers of digital TV wants to broadcast the worldcup in HDTV.

The reason i got hooked on HD is because of the recent HD movies that have been in cinema, like starwars looked brilliant and all those new technologies like you said ( bluray, HDDVD,?) are just a year away. They will be expensive but, after some time they will become cheaper. I have got another link about new kind of TV for next year, quite interesting.

http://www.canon.com/technology/display/

http://neasia.nikkeibp.com/neasia/002048
  • Reply 65 of 83
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Almost set on ordering up the TH-42PHD8UK. I'm fine with the 37", but it's $1900. Who can resist 5" extra for only $200?

I'm a damned fool spending this much on a TV, but I'll probably end up doing it.

Now, to figure out those pesky how-to-get-sound and how-to-hook-up-DVD-&-Gamecube problems.
  • Reply 66 of 83
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Almost set on ordering up the TH-42PHD8UK. I'm fine with the 37", but it's $1900. Who can resist 5" extra for only $200?

I'm a damned fool spending this much on a TV, but I'll probably end up doing it.

Now, to figure out those pesky how-to-get-sound and how-to-hook-up-DVD-&-Gamecube problems.

Sweet! Let us know how it goes, please...
  • Reply 67 of 83
    Sure thing. Don't get your hopes up, I bet once I see the final "Submit" button and the dollar amount beside it I'll probably turn off my computer, run to Wal-Mart and buy a $300 CRT.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Just laid out the cash for a 42" Panasonic EDTV (TH-42PD50U) at a local shop.

Awesome place, they hooked it up to regular cable, then through an HD-DVR then showed some DVDs and some HD stuff via HDMI. (They even let me dim the lights to simulate my living room, god bless local shops.)

The HD (720p is what I saw) was somewhat better on the TH-42PX50U, but SD was significantly better on the PD.

I got this panel for $1400 after tax & shipping.

They were offering the PX for $2850 after tax & shipping.

It should be delivered sometime this week.

I figure I'll keep this for a couple/few years until HD starts really taking off. Then I'll be looking at 1080p SEDs!
  • Reply 69 of 83
    For what it's worth, the latest Consumer Reports (November) has an extended article on HD TV, which include ratings. Of those Plasma models they tested Panasonic was the clear choice: for HD the 50" TH-50PX50U and 42" TH-42PX50U and for ED the TH-42PD50U.

I have a 36" Sony XBR CRT television purchased in 2002 that is HD ready but have held off upgrading to HD because of what I perceive as a lack of content. I'm still not sure the content is there, but after reading the CR artcle on HD I'm starting to think that now may be the time.

This brings up some questions, chief of which is whether to go with cable (Comcast) or satellite (DirecTV). If I read DirecTV's website correctly they offer an HD package but the only way you can get your local channels in HD is off the air, which because of topography won't work where I live. It also appears that Comcast offers the local channels in HD but nothing else. I'd really appreciate if anyone can shed some light on their HD experience with either cable or satellite.

The CR article also states that DVDs "look better on HDTV then they do on a regular analog set." This leads to another question, does the HD set-top box that comes with cable or satellite have component imputs for a DVD player?

As you can tell, I'm totally clueless on the whole HD situation. Thanks in advance for any information.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

The CR article also states that DVDs "look better on HDTV then they do on a regular analog set."

DVDs output at 480p.

EDTVs have a resolution of 480p.

Unless you have an upconverting DVD player that does a good job, I don't see why there would be a difference between viewing it on HDTV v. EDTV. Both would look better than regular TV, of course.

Quote:

This leads to another question, does the HD set-top box that comes with cable or satellite have component imputs for a DVD player

It might, you'd have to ask your content provider.

Of course, most HDTVs themselves have component inputs.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OldCodger73

This brings up some questions, chief of which is whether to go with cable (Comcast) or satellite (DirecTV).

I am of the opinion that consumer satellite has no viable future. The whole concept seems problematic to me (i.e. making sure your dish is pointed just right, not getting reception during heavy cloud cover, etc.). I would think its scalability in its current form is limited too.

While having a direct line into your house from cable has its own liabilities, I think having a direct feed through a copper or fiber line has much more potential than satellite. Copper alone uses only a fraction of the bandwidth it's capable of. When it gets to the point that fiber runs directly into your home -- which WILL happen -- the possibilities are nearly endless.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I am of the opinion that consumer satellite has no viable future. The whole concept seems problematic to me (i.e. making sure your dish is pointed just right, not getting reception during heavy cloud cover, etc.). I would think its scalability in its current form is limited too.

While having a direct line into your house from cable has its own liabilities, I think having a direct feed through a copper or fiber line has much more potential than satellite. Copper alone uses only a fraction of the bandwidth it's capable of. When it gets to the point that fiber runs directly into your home -- which WILL happen -- the possibilities are nearly endless.

But right now, cable sucks rocks and DirecTv is great. They angle your dish for you, and it isn't "heavy cloud cover" that blocks the signal, but rather the first 15 minutes of a heavy thunderstorm.

If you really care about making DirecTv 100% reliable, I think that you can up-size the dish from 18" to 30" or something.
  • Reply 73 of 83
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

But right now, cable sucks rocks and DirecTv is great. They angle your dish for you, and it isn't "heavy cloud cover" that blocks the signal, but rather the first 15 minutes of a heavy thunderstorm.

If you really care about making DirecTv 100% reliable, I think that you can up-size the dish from 18" to 30" or something.

The 18" dishes are already eyesores. Heaven help us if we add 12" to that!

Like I said, I just see dishes being too problematic to be a long-term viable consumer programming acquisition format.

1) The dishes have to be steered exactly to the right point.

2) The dishes tend to be eyesores in our image-conscious world.

3) The signals go out during big storms.

4) Satellite is only a 1-way technology.

Do I think that DSS will die? No. There will be a market for a long time for RVs and very rural areas of the country, but it does not have the potential cable has.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    It really depends on how hard the providers work to improve their technology.

When it comes to data transmission, wired always beats wireless.
  • Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

The 18" dishes are already eyesores. Heaven help us if we add 12" to that!

15 acres, no covenants. I'll erect a radio telescope dish if I like, and nobody would notice. Heh heh heh.
  • Reply 76 of 83
    Quote:

I am of the opinion that consumer satellite has no viable future.

That may be true long term but there's almost an universal dislike of cable companies based on poor past service and rates seemingly increasing every time you turn around. So satellite will remain an attractive alternative for the immediate future/
  • Reply 77 of 83
    fieldorfieldor Posts: 213member
    For those who are interested in SED and understand french or use translate tools, the had a quick comparison during a Canon show or some sort.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/593-...-type-sed.html
  • Reply 78 of 83
    The Cowboys beating up the Eagles on Fox in HD (downsampled to ED but still looking amazing).

You can read the freaking text on the coaches' little cheat sheets. Awesome awesome awesome.

My GameCube looks great on it. I'm going to order some component cables, people say that makes it look even better.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    good stuff grover... yeah, get those component cables. are you / will you be using component for dvd output into your plasma as well?

i think edtv plasma is a great mid-term solution... because, like fieldor pointed out, and after reading the article, SED looks frackin' so awesome....
  • Reply 80 of 83
    SED is actually what sealed me on this much cheaper option.

Check this out. I swiped this from the AVS forums.

An LCD, plasma and SED all next to each other showing straight black.

After 2 or 3 years of this thing I'll move this to the bedroom or give it to a family member and be more than ready for a brand new 1080p (or higher?) set. The production glitches will be worked out and they will be coming down (or already down) in price.

Hell, there might be an even more compelling technology than SED at that point!

I had to look realistically at the next few years of my life. I'll have a Nintendo GameCube then a Nintendo Revolution. I'll have a standard DVD player and unless Netflix switches over to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray I won't be moving that direction soon at all.

I see HD content, it looks wonderful. It doesn't look as good as it could, but it looks wonderful.

And I paid half the price.

I'm really pleased with this purchase.