Jobs talks iTunes pricing, Intel Macs at Apple Expo

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

There's no reason for an iPod not to have a radio. Eh, I guess there is. I think they should sell an iPod, and then a Photo Viewer, and then an address book viewer and clock and three seperate devices. That would be a lot better.

Yes, he is a buddhist. Maybe he has an interest in Apple because he started it and everything?

There's a very simple reason, cost. Clock, address book and photo viewer could all be added at basically no additional cost, they are just software changes. To install a radio receiver is a much bigger thing and the simple fact is most people don't want it badly enough.
  • Reply 42 of 43
    The demand for radio is so high that people are about to go and buy 7.1 million iPods this quarter to prove it is no good without a radio.

Boy they are really going to show Steve a thing or two.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    An iPod with FM radio would diminish the public's perceived quality of the iPod itself. The very first time that radio signal were to get static and/or diminish, that iPod owner might be inclined to think the iPod isn't good enough. Sure, there would have been no change in digital music playback, but it's a subconscious perception of quality. Many people, after forming a negative opinion of the iPod based on the FM radio quality, might never buy another iPod. That would be very bad for Apple.

I agree with everyone else who's said the iPod doesn't need a radio. If I want to listen to the radio, I'll use one. If I want to listen to my digital music, I'll use my iPod. I don't think most people would have the need to switch back and forth between the two enough to justify both capabilities being in one unit.