Apple seeking Intel's Woodcrest and Merom chips early?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In an effort to bolster its first Intel-based Macintosh systems, Apple Computer has asked Intel to make an exception and deliver its next-generation microprocessors in advance of their planned release, according to an unsubstantiated online report.

Citing unnamed sources, The Inquirer reports that Apple is looking to use Merom and Woodcrest -- codenames for Intel's next-generation dual-core 65 nanometer (nm) mobile and server chips -- to power Intel-based Macs that will debut next June. However, the chips, which are the successors to Yonah and Dempsey, are not scheduled for release until after the third quarter of the year.

As a result, Apple has been left with no option other than to pressure Intel into providing it the preferential treatment, but the world's largest chip maker isn't biting, the report says.

It's unclear if report is accurate, as Apple has made not official statement about which Intel processors will find their way into the first Intel Macs.

Recent mumblings have indicated that some Intel Macs could begin showing up long before June, possibly sporting a version of Intel's Yonah chip, which is due later this year.

Intel also recently said it is developing an unnamed ultra-low power version of its high-performance 65 nm logic manufacturing process that will allow it to produce significantly lower-power chips for laptops and small-form factor devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 192
    The timing of the first Mactels may (to some degree) be related to the progress that developers are making on their conversions. If Apple is pushing Intel (and Intel might as well get used to Apple pushing) then it may be that developers in general are ahead of where Apple thought they would be. The January Keynote is going to be watched very eagerly for at least a few lines going over to the Mactel. My bet fort he first slot is the PowerBook.
  • Reply 2 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

The timing of the first Mactels may (to some degree) be related to the progress that developers are making on their conversions. If Apple is pushing Intel (and Intel might as well get used to Apple pushing) then it may be that developers in general are ahead of where Apple thought they would be. The January Keynote is going to be watched very eagerly for at least a few lines going over to the Mactel. My bet fort he first slot is the PowerBook.

It could also be that Apple is getting worried that its customers may start jumping ship from Apple's lack of providing any substantive updates recently, especially to its PowerMac and PowerBook lines... so feel a need to push to get faster/better Intel chips sooner. There's been a lot of grumbling, especially when Apple didn't introduce anything significant at Paris Expo... so maybe Apple is feeling a little pressure?
  • Reply 3 of 192
    I bileve Apple getting first crack at Intel's new chips was part of the plan all along. I have said it before, in the ramp up period no PC maker is small enough and worth the publicity to sell the chips to before big production starts and Dell starts buying. Apple however is.

The publicity Steve can drum up would be more than worth it for Intel to sell the early chips to him.
  • Reply 4 of 192
    The Inquirer is the source. Take it with about a "ton" of salt. They are one of the worst websites out there. I've stopped even reading them since they have been off base for about "forever."

Wait for a few more credible people to substantiate this before repeating it.
  • Reply 5 of 192
    this is/was a great rumour. Unexpected. a nice little pick-me-up at the end of a dull monday of work. who cares if it's true? the endorphines were appreciated.
  • Reply 6 of 192
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Before you get too excited, reread:

Quote:

but the world's largest chip maker isn't biting, the report says

• Reply 7 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by salmonstk

I bileve Apple getting first crack at Intel's new chips was part of the plan all along. I have said it before, in the ramp up period no PC maker is small enough and worth the publicity to sell the chips to before big production starts and Dell starts buying. Apple however is.

The publicity Steve can drum up would be more than worth it for Intel to sell the early chips to him.

Even if Steve can get Intel to cough up Merom in time for a June PowerBook release, instead of Yonah, that still leaves 9 months between now and then. Considering the last update to the PowerBook was early this year, that would mean almost 18 months without significant updates, much longer than most people would ever wait, so maybe Apple will have one more PPC update for the PowerBooks sometime soon?
  • Reply 8 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by ka2357

Considering the last update to the PowerBook was early this year, that would mean almost 18 months without significant updates, much longer than most people would ever wait, so maybe Apple will have one more PPC update for the PowerBooks sometime soon?

I sure hope so. I'm in the market for a 15" PB immediately, but I'd hate to have the thing updated shortly after. This is the worst thing about Apple secrecy.
  • Reply 9 of 192
    Well - this is an obvious thought process for both parties.

Apple moving to Intel...

In what way can it move to Intel (the commodity parts maker) and still show a conceptual 'generational' leap over the rest of th PC world? By being there first with technologies the rest of the PC world has not even got it's hands on yet.

Intel on the other hand will have a conundrum over this...

On the one side, having Apple create the huge amount of coverage that it will with it's first Intel based products will be -fantastic- for an Intel that is making a change of direction itself (low energy, high power), and struggling to demonstrate an innovative streak (impossible within the humdrum world of Dell et al).

On the other hand, it doesn't want to make the people that -really- make it's money for it look like a bunch of luddites (hard to avoid :-).

It will be interesting to see how this pans out, but on balance, I would say Intel should play ball. They have more to gain by association with Apple than they could loose from their tied in customers.

D.
  • Reply 10 of 192
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    It would be for Apple if they could hold off until all Intel chips are x86-64 and not have to ever support the original x86 ISA. It would simplify things on Intel immensely to only have to support one Intel instruction set.

I personally think Apple should just come out with a Pentium 4 and Pentium M product this year instead of waiting, but that's just me.
  • Reply 11 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

Before you get too excited, reread:

Seriously, what could one expect!
  • Reply 12 of 192
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

It would be for Apple if they could hold off until all Intel chips are x86-64 and not have to ever support the original x86 ISA. It would simplify things on Intel immensely to only have to support one Intel instruction set.

I personally think Apple should just come out with a Pentium 4 and Pentium M product this year instead of waiting, but that's just me.

Well, its pointless to release a mac with a P4 or PM chip in it unless (a) the OS is actually ready, and (b) the apps are actually ready. Who wants to buy a computer where everything is emulated (oh, right, Mac-heads would, because its new - heck, they bought the PPC machines when they first came out, even though there really wasn't any PPC software or OS. Remember Apple didn't come out with a fully PPC-compiled OS until, ummm, OS X, actually).

Oh, and the Pentium-M is really a crappy chip-set. It certainly doesn't have the power that people seem to think it does (whenever I use a P-M laptop, esp. on battery, it feels like sloshing through molasses trying to get the OS to respond to anything - but, hey, I'm sure that's the OS, OS X is soooo much better optimized!) And the P4's aren't dual-able, so you'd actually do a step-down on those compared to the dual G5s (depending on task, of course).

As for the 64-bit chips, that's all marketing. The number of users who actually need a 64-bit processor is so low its almost unidentifiable. And considering that even OS X.4 isn't really a complete 64-bit OS (its a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit base, assuming, of course, that the base is completely 64-bit), I doubt many would care.
  • Reply 13 of 192
    The rumour obviously isn't real but an extrapolation of a likely scenario. Intel better get used to 'Steve World' where Apple naturally gets preferential treatment because... well its Apple.

When the first MacIntels are released there's going to be a frenzy of press comparison to existing Wintels and Apple HAS to have some tech differentiation out of the gate (apart from design and OS of course)

I'm still saying the first machines will be announced in Jan, shipped in March.
  • Reply 14 of 192
    I can't see Dell being very impressed with Intel if they gave the new chips to anyone ahead of themselves. Might even make them think about using Opterons.

On the other hand, I'm not buying a crappy Yonah based laptop so launching with Merom and Woodcrest appeals much more to me than the stopgap Yonah/Conroe chips.

And an ultra low power chip appeals too if it brings about an OQO running OSX.

But it was the Inquirer reporting it so it's almost certainly not true.
  • Reply 15 of 192
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    I like the statement that this is an "unsubstantiated" report. Are any of these kinds of reports ever anything else?

If the chips aren't ready then Intel can't deliver them. I'm sure that when Apple and Intel had their talks they discussed delivery dates.
  • Reply 16 of 192
    I don't believe this rumor at all.
  • Reply 17 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

[B]The rumour obviously isn't real but an extrapolation of a likely scenario. Intel better get used to 'Steve World' where Apple naturally gets preferential treatment because... well its Apple.

Not necessarily. Intel wants to start using new technologies that only Apple is in a position to take advantage of.
  • Reply 18 of 192
    reguardless of when these processors will be ready, apple needs to ship intel macs by macworld sf otherwise they will definitely be loosing as much if not more of their market share than they've picked up in the past year or two. My powerbook is great and will certainly tide me over until the switch. But it's becoming harder and harder for me to recommend a mac laptop to people with the lack of updates. Uncle Stevie, where are your 'great products in the pipeline' now?
  • Reply 19 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Intel wants to start using new technologies that only Apple is in a position to take advantage of.

I agree.
  • Reply 20 of 192
    Quote:

apple needs to ship intel macs by macworld sf otherwise they will definitely be loosing as much if not more of their market share than they've picked up in the past year or two.

Most of the people I know, I would dare say most consumers don't know the differenence.