Rumor: October should deliver new iPods, Pro machines

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Targon

argh, ipod...i dont care sik, of hearing about them.

more juice on dual core powermacs, updated powerbooks thanks

I'm with you on that one. Need a new PowerBook, first it was the mini this, then the nano that, it's fine, but even Apples home page is starting to look like iTunes and I'm starting to wonder will they continue in the computer business.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Prediction: Apple will release a Fiona Apple special edition video iPod on Oct. 4 with the album title "extraordinary machine" engraved and all of the Dual Disc DVD videos preloaded.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacTitan

Prediction: Apple will release a Fiona Apple special edition video iPod on Oct. 4 with the album title "extraordinary machine" engraved and all of the Dual Disc DVD videos preloaded.

That's it... I'm switching to Creative and Windows Media and am going to love Microsoft.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...441&i=19995798

In other words, follow the link...!
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Who needs the rumor mill. The next Mac is obvious if you complete the following pattern:

1. iPod & iMac

2. iPod Mini & Mac Mini

3. iPod Nano & _________

I've got a shirt pocket and it's waiting, Apple!
  • Reply 25 of 64
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Well, they are selling a Mac mini shuffle already. Sorry, couldn't help it.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacTitan

Oh hell yeah, count me in there for that! (I really would buy that if they released it)

"SOUTH PARK"

Episode 112

"Mecha Streisand"

MS. STREISAND: Well?

OFFICER BARBRADY: Well what?

MS. STREISAND: YOU know who I am, don't you?

Barbrady looks her up and down.

OFFICER BARBRADY: Well, you ain't Fiona Apple. And if you ain't Fiona Apple I don't give a rat's ass.

MS. STREISAND: AAAGHGH!!!!!

Streisand fumes and walks away.

OFFICER BARBRADY: Hoo! What a bitch!
  • Reply 27 of 64
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Umm yes I have - I want the full-featured iPod to be the size of the min - that would explain why they dropped it wouldn't it! I want an 80GB drive and i want it to be tiny - although the screen is ok. However, I don't care about video - the screen is too small for that and we don't consume video in the same way. But even if we did the user experience from a 2" screen would be shit!

You know, I think you may be onto something here...

iPod nano ->

2GB and 4GB

iPod ->

20GB and 40GB (but now just a bit bigger than the iPod mini)

iPod AV ->

80GB (redesigned full size iPod with video and 802.11g)

...it could explain the "risk" behind the iPod mini's demise.

• Reply 28 of 64
    I'd like...

- larger hard drive. I was hoping for a bigger jump than to 80 GB, like 100 or 120. What's the largest capacity available in this diameter drive now?

- Lyrics integrated in, like in the nano (should be a no brainer at this point)

- Built in Bluetooth or other wireless mechanism. I like the Logitech wireless headset, but the adapter you have to use is kind of big/clunky.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Guys, Apple just announced its BIG item for the fall...

Unless we see another MUSIC EVENT, popping up anytime soon, I doubt we'll see another new iPod. More likely just a PM upgade, maybe mac mini too...

In reality, Apple's done for the year, we all know it, just not willing to accept it. DENIAL!!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

That's it... I'm switching to Creative and Windows Media and am going to love Microsoft.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...441&i=19995798

In other words, follow the link...!

wow, a prime example why not all songs are worth 99c.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Originally posted by F1Turbo

I'd like...

- larger hard drive. I was hoping for a bigger jump than to 80 GB, like 100 or 120. What's the largest capacity available in this diameter drive now?

That would be 80GB. iPod uses 1.8" hard drives, not the bulkier 2.5" hard drives.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by F1Turbo

I'd like...

- Lyrics integrated in, like in the nano (should be a no brainer at this point)

- Built in Bluetooth or other wireless mechanism. I like the Logitech wireless headset, but the adapter you have to use is kind of big/clunky.

80GB is the largest 1.8" hard drive capacity you can get, and that is quite new.

Really the question should be "Why aren't 2.5 inch hard drives at 250GB?"

I hadn't noticed lyrics on my nano.

Bluetooth would suck for music update, but it would be good for the various PDA functions. Normal WiFi would be reasonable however, but it does suck a lot more power. Maybe the next Airtunes thingy adapter will also have Bluetooth, so you can play from your bluetooth enabled iPod. However I don't think either will play a part in the iPod in this upgrade.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1984

You know, I think you may be onto something here...

iPod nano ->

2GB and 4GB

iPod ->

20GB and 40GB (but now just a bit bigger than the iPod mini)

iPod AV ->

80GB (redesigned full size iPod with video and 802.11g)

...it could explain the "risk" behind the iPod mini's demise.

I was thinking this this morning although I thought 20GB in mini size and 40 and 80 in newly designed iPod (same size though). The mini isn't dead.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hattig

[B]80GB is the largest 1.8" hard drive capacity you can get, and that is quite new.

Really the question should be "Why aren't 2.5 inch hard drives at 250GB?"

That is about as unrealistic of an expectation if not more so.

Quote:

I hadn't noticed lyrics on my nano.

I hadn't thought of it either, but Google to the rescue:

[i]"I?m particularly pleased that the nano adds a Lyrics screen to the iPod?s Now Playing area. In this screen you can view any lyrics that you?ve added to the Lyrics tab of a Song Information window within iTunes 5. Currently the only way to add those lyrics is by hand?songs sold by the iTunes Music Store don?t (yet) have embedded lyrics.[i]

http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2005/...view/index.php

Quote:

Bluetooth would suck for music update, but it would be good for the various PDA functions. Normal WiFi would be reasonable however, but it does suck a lot more power. Maybe the next Airtunes thingy adapter will also have Bluetooth, so you can play from your bluetooth enabled iPod. However I don't think either will play a part in the iPod in this upgrade.

I think the main idea was for wireless headphones, not track updates.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

Guys, Apple just announced its BIG item for the fall...

Unless we see another MUSIC EVENT, popping up anytime soon, I doubt we'll see another new iPod. More likely just a PM upgade, maybe mac mini too...

In reality, Apple's done for the year, we all know it, just not willing to accept it. DENIAL!!!!!

As far as desktop machines go, I'd have to agree, but...

ACTUALLY, Fall has historically been the time for PowerBook updates.

Nothing major, just speed bumps, feature enhancements or additions.

As far as feature upgrades go...

•I doubt we'll see dual-core G4's... I wouldn't kick one off my desk, or hold my breath.

• I'd love to see video cards with 256MB VRAM. Hell, even Dells can be had with those! PowerBooks should CERTAINLY have 256MB VRAM available as an option!

• Higher pixel density screens would be nice, but not essential.

A 13" widescreen PowerBook to replace the 12" and differentiate it more from the iBook. Pro PowerBooks should all have widescreens. Period.

• Toss in those new 100GB x 7200 rpm hard drives, too. I WANT one of those.

AND as long as I'm filling out my wish list for Santa Jobs...

• Bring back the Level 3 cache!!!!!
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I think the main idea was for wireless headphones, not track updates.

Jobs has already rejected this idea
  • Reply 37 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Jobs has already rejected this idea

So? Jobs lies, or at least, at the nicest, he changes his mind. He's rejected the idea of a computer built into an LCD screen, a flash-based iPod, a $500 computer and the idea of an iPod in a phone, who knows how many others.
  • Reply 38 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

So? Jobs lies, or at least, at the nicest, he changes his mind. He's rejected the idea of a computer built into an LCD screen, a flash-based iPod, a $500 computer and the idea of an iPod in a phone, who knows how many others.

As in he rejected this last week - I know he goes back - but not this quickly.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    666666 Posts: 134member
    till they hit 200 gig, i don't give a sh!t
  • Reply 40 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by 666

till they hit 200 gig, i don't give a sh!t

why write sh!t - it's not as if no-one knows what you're saying, if you're going to swear at least do it properly.

200GB would be impressive!