Rumor: October should deliver new iPods, Pro machines

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Several pieces of evidence suggest that Apple is preparing new product introductions for next month, primarily new hard disk drive (HDD) iPods and professional Macs.

Like the nano, Apple's fifth-generation HDD iPods are expected to gain an Apple-designed click-wheel and see a significant reduction in overall size and volume.

Sources believe the new players feature Toshiba's perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) 1.8-inch HDDs, which are setting new benchmarks for data density. Toshiba has announced the drives in 40GB and 80GB capacities, with the 40GB model packing up to 10,000 songs or 25,000 photos on a single platter.

The 40GB drive features the largest single-platter capacity yet achieved in the 1.8-inch form factor, according to the company. Meanwhile, an 80GB version of the drive stores double the amount of data via two 40GB platters.

The new PMR drives are just 5mm and 8mm thick, respectively, making the 40GB drive roughly 3mm thinner and 15% smaller in volume than the 40GB drive Apple used in an earlier version of the iPod.

Sources also continue to support rumors that the new iPods will gain video playback functionality, but have provided very little evidence backing their assertions.

Perhaps the most reliable report on the subject has come from the Wall Street Journal, which in July reported that Apple held discussions with major recording companies over licensing video content for a video-capable version of the iPod due this fall.

The Journal has been extremely accurate in its predictions on Apple this year, even calling the Mac maker's transition to Intel chips in the months leading up to the announcement.

Apple's resellers and retails also anticipate the release of new HDD iPods from Apple and are revising their orders in preparation of new products, AppleInsider has been told. They say current inventory and order trends associated with the 20GB and 60GB iPod photo models are indicative of forthcoming refreshes. Resellers also report lagging sales of iPod photos over the last few months.

Likewise, sources say Apple remains in a position where they could suddenly introduce new professional Macs such as dual-core Power Mac G5s and jazzed-up PowerBooks G4s. Inventory levels of all Macs are are significantly lower than usual with the company's September fiscal quarter ending earlier in the week.

Over in Europe, Apple's distribution channels are as dry as they have ever been, according France-based MacBidouille. "It never happened before, networks between the European distributors for Apple and the local AppleCenters are almost empty," said Lionel, the Web site's editior. "Beside some eMacs and PowerBooks, there is no stocks from the Powermac G5 to the Mac mini, the same for the iBook and the of course the iPod."

While it has been reported that Apple continues to struggle with a final update to its PowerPC-based PowerBook G4 line, volume Macintosh buyers were told this week that they could expect Power Mac G5-related announcements sometime in the "next two weeks."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    New iPods on Tuesday 11th October then!
  • Reply 2 of 64
    vPod, vPod, vPod!
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

New iPods on Tuesday 11th October then!

No! New PowerBooks on 10/11! That would be the day before I get back from overseas - a nice welcome home gift.

Seriously, though, I am pretty much ready at this point to buy a 12" PowerBook as is. ANY upgrade - even just a memory and/or small speed bump - and I'd probably hit the purchase button the next day (the machine's already in my shopping cart). Although any of the more talked-about upgrades (better screens, better video chips, 7448, etc.) might make it a same-day purchase.

Hmmm...on second thought - forget that "any upgrade" sentence. Can't have 'em thinkin' they can slack off!

Reading the Article: 2 min.

Reading the Replies: 30 sec.

Using as a Paragraph Delimiter: timeless.

• Reply 4 of 64
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    If Apple's going to release an iPod video before Christmas and have enough stock in the channels, they'd better get hoppin'.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Please, please... PLEASE, let it be new PowerBooks!!!!

My Titanium G4 is dying fast (needs new screen, optical drive, motherboard is questionable) and I've got only a couple months of AppleCare left!

So...

Release the new Rev. PowerBook in October.

I'll get the new Rev. PB immediately!

Then, transfer my data, get the old TiBook fixed and sell it on eBay.

Can you hear me Apple?
  • Reply 6 of 64
    4th quarter report release October 11, 2005
  • Reply 7 of 64
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Uh oh... maybe I want one of these new iPods rather than a nano.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Uh oh... maybe I want one of these new iPods rather than a nano.

I want Apple to completely re-design the iPod (as in much smaller) - i know it will be awkward for current accessories but it will make it so much more desirable - i know it's smaller than lots of players already but it's still quite big.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I want Apple to completely re-design the iPod (as in much smaller) - i know it will be awkward for current accessories but it will make it so much more desirable - i know it's smaller than lots of players already but it's still quite big.

Ummm... have you not seen the nano?
  • Reply 10 of 64
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't think the market is ready for an iPod targeted specifically at video.

But video as an "extra"--the way photos are--in a new iPod targeted (still) mainly at music? I can see that being possible.

If not, slimmer HDs alone would make a nice refresh for the full-size iPods.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    I just bought a new 60GB iPod last Thursday...

I wonder if I should return it now and save my cash for the 5th generation iPod.

Hmm...
  • Reply 12 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by xanthohappy

Ummm... have you not seen the nano?

Umm yes I have - I want the full-featured iPod to be the size of the min - that would explain why they dropped it wouldn't it! I want an 80GB drive and i want it to be tiny - although the screen is ok. However, I don't care about video - the screen is too small for that and we don't consume video in the same way. But even if we did the user experience from a 2" screen would be shit!
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by Apparatus

I just bought a new 60GB iPod last Thursday...

I wonder if I should return it now and save my cash for the 5th generation iPod.

Hmm...

You can't return it if you've used it - unless it's faulty - or do Apple have a change of mind policy where you live? Apple do have a seven day refund policy on new products etc. though.

I bought the iPod photo 60GB last year - it's still the top-of-the-range. They've hardly altered the iPod line-up in a year so it's in need of an update. When i bought my first iPod (3G 30GB) there were loads of changes in a year - significant ones which my iPod did not have and was not updated to have. I think Apple are trying to avoid customers waiting for the NEW iPod, also they're now giving all iPods the features of old ones to keep customers happy, in the past updates have taken a while to allow old iPods to use new features (for example the shuffle songs on the top-menu).
  • Reply 14 of 64
    I'm pretty sure you can return it within 14 days of the purchase date, you just get docked a 10% open box fee.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Umm yes I have - I want the full-featured iPod to be the size of the min - that would explain why they dropped it wouldn't it! I want an 80GB drive and i want it to be tiny - although the screen is ok. However, I don't care about video - the screen is too small for that and we don't consume video in the same way. But even if we did the user experience from a 2" screen would be shit!

Unless the hard drive makers are hiding something, there won't be an 80GB drive smaller than the 1.8" version for quite a while. Hitachi did claim they will have a 20GB CFII sized microdrive by the end of the year.

While I agree that playing video in the current iPod design wouldn't be good, but there's nothing that says that the next iPod layout will remain the same. Something like Palm's Lifedrive, but better and higher capacity would be nice.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

I agree. I was hoping for 20GB iPod minis (basically) when the nano was released. But I didn't expect them this soon.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by FireEmblemPride

I agree. I was hoping for 20GB iPod minis (basically) when the nano was released. But I didn't expect them this soon.

Yeah, that's what i wanted - although i wanted 60GB - i think 40 is the ideal amount -10,000 songs is perfect.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    I have money in hand for a dual dual-core powermac.

Even if the speeds remain the same I would buy one. Just add PCI-Express and it's a done deal.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    For Apple to release a video-capable iPod, they'll have to significantly expand their video offerings on iTunes. You could always rip your CDs to your iPod before the music store, but you're not supposed to rip DVDs or download TV shows.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    argh, ipod...i dont care sik, of hearing about them.

more juice on dual core powermacs, updated powerbooks thanks