Apple planning launch of video iPod

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    thinksecret is reporting that no ipod will be released on the 12th; powerbooks and powermacs will be released instead. this report sounds more plausible to me seeing as we are only weeks removed from the nano unveiling.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by jiggz

thinksecret is reporting that no ipod will be released on the 12th; powerbooks and powermacs will be released instead. this report sounds more plausible to me seeing as we are only weeks removed from the nano unveiling.

The fight between AI and Think Secrect, WOW this event is getting cooler by the minute!!!
  • Reply 23 of 53
    glenglen Posts: 32member
    The plot thickens. Engadget have confirmed what the poster on MacRumors said about the BBC letting slip about the iPod video. The show was broadcast on their DAB radio station - BBC 6 Music, but the particular program has mysteriously disappeared from their "listen again" service.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    jiggzjiggz Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkDifferent

The fight between AI and Think Secrect, WOW this event is getting cooler by the minute!!!

bragging rights are on the line
  • Reply 25 of 53
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Look, I finally see the wisdom of the vPod.

If it has video out.

60 gigs is a lot of DIVX oooor MPEG-4 videos.

Instead of lugging a case of DVDs...ya know?

Physical removable media might be dying, giving way to hard disks and flash...

Just a thought. Could be a market.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by nagromme

Me too. I'm thinking very LITTLE value, for most buyers. Apple would be setting itself up for bad press when it doesn't grab the buying public.

So instead of seeing a "Video iPod" or "iPod Video," I expect we'll just see a new MUSIC iPod, that, as AI states, is "capable of playing videos."

Video as "one more extra" makes sense--that's the way to market the capability. A bigger screen is useful for finding music anyway.

If Apple promotes video any more heavily than that, then the must have some unexpected new way to make portable video attractive to more than a handful of people. I'd be surprised, but you never know.

I'd like to see Karaoke or some sort of lyrics support. That's the kind of "video" I'd care about.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jiggz

Sounds like "See Apple, no more leaks from us. Don't sue us!"
  • Reply 28 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boodlums

I'd like to see Karaoke or some sort of lyrics support. That's the kind of "video" I'd care about.

Karaoke, nooooo...
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Do you think the prices will be the same of the ipod of now or do you think it will be a bit more like the ipod photo in the beginning?
  • Reply 30 of 53
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Look, I finally see the wisdom of the vPod.

If it has video out.

60 gigs is a lot of DIVX oooor MPEG-4 videos.

Instead of lugging a case of DVDs...ya know?

Physical removable media might be dying, giving way to hard disks and flash...

Just a thought. Could be a market.

Only with a video store or a legal way to rip DVD's.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Umm why? The iPod never stopped illegal MP3s being played, why should the same be said of this video iPod? If it can play music videos, which can be obtained in QT format on "enhanced" CDs sometimes, it must be true that you could play any QT movie on the player. Just because Apple may not provide a way to rip DVDs doesn't mean they wont allow they playing of QT files which just happen to be feature length movies.

Of course, they could say that anything over 15mins can't be played to prevent anything other than music videos being played. I think this is highly unlikely as the reason they included MP3 playback on the iPod - it will drive sales.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    This BBC angle is intriguing. I can definitely see the value in brief videocasts of the morning news donloadable to your iPod, clips of bbc programmes, sketches, jokes etc.

V. interesting that this is all playing alongside BBC's trial of their IMP - downloadable programmes to your computer.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by TRowell

This BBC angle is intriguing. I can definitely see the value in brief videocasts of the morning news donloadable to your iPod, clips of bbc programmes, sketches, jokes etc.

V. interesting that this is all playing alongside BBC's trial of their IMP - downloadable programmes to your computer.

Quote:

Originally nabbed from the BBCiMP site

Moving to mobile

During this trial, the BBC is testing the ability to move downloaded programmes across to portable devices. If you have been given such a device by the BBC, you can transfer content by connecting the device to your PC and clicking on the Transfer to Mobile button on the left-hand side of the screen.

Portable devices capable of playing videos eh? One would have to assume that if the iPod video were true and if Apple and the BBC were in cahoots, then there would be a Mac version of the software. In fairness, there is normally a systems requirements thing for these things (saying you need a windows machine), but I can't find a list on the BBCiMP site. Could this mean it works with Macs? If it does, I would allow that to be near conclusive proof that BBC and Apple are in cahoots and thus there is a iPod video.

However if it's not this is not proof that there isn't an iPod video.

I would mention at this point that Apple and the beeb teaming up would be a great alliance as the BBC seem to have getting their content out to the world as a high priority lately. I know of no other network with the content online as they do. And as a Brit, this is extremely comforting.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    I think the BBC broadcast program uses windows media player in it's program.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    With reference to the BBC iMP. These are the system requirements:

15. What do I need to use iMP?

FOR PC (and the High Definition tests):

A broadband connection at home - 512kbps or higher

Windows 2000 or XP, with IE5.5 or later installed.

(This trial unfortunately does not support Apple Macs dues to the Digital Rights Management being Windows based)

Pentium 4 or above

512MB of RAM or above

64 MB video card

800x600 screen resolution or above

Windows Media player version 9 or above

Hard disk space of 4Mb for the iMP application and a minimum of 500Mbfree space for downloading programmes.

ActiveX controls need to be enabled from within the IE browser (this is normally a default)
  • Reply 36 of 53
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

See Universal Studios.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

Umm why? The iPod never stopped illegal MP3s being played, why should the same be said of this video iPod? If it can play music videos, which can be obtained in QT format on "enhanced" CDs sometimes, it must be true that you could play any QT movie on the player. Just because Apple may not provide a way to rip DVDs doesn't mean they wont allow they playing of QT files which just happen to be feature length movies.

Of course, they could say that anything over 15mins can't be played to prevent anything other than music videos being played. I think this is highly unlikely as the reason they included MP3 playback on the iPod - it will drive sales.

Um, it is the difference between geeks buying vPods and everyone else buying vPods. iPods never stopped illegal mp3's, but iPods didn't make money until their was value in the iTunes store.

Sure, I have thought for a long time that QT content and music vids and animation shorts would create their own markets for such devices, but I was talking about actually Apple making money in a real market, not Apple enabling an underground market.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

See Universal Studios.

I see "movies in theaters."

I see "DVD's"

I see video on demand.

I see trailer downloads.

I don't see what you see.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    there is a wide spectrum of ipods that can enable video:

- a "roachmotel" type of unit that only allows PSP-level (272p)

or denser (480p with more decoder and/or screen heroics)

with no external display connection to please hollywood.

- ditto with poor (analog-only S-video) connectivity.

- one with a bluetooth addon which only controls an imac mini or

other mac that does the actual hosting and vga/dvi output

to a viewing room display.

- embedded 802.11g connection to actually sling undecoded ipod-hosted

video around to external devices.

- full-house miracle version that does HD (>=720p), H.264 decode,

coupled with introduction of 802.11 b/a/n/g AV express (requiring

bullt-in quicktime decode in the bricks).

i find #3, an ipod w/bluetooth as video remote controller the most

useful. that way, apple sells more minis, doesn't need to jam

whatever dog's breakfast that allows set tops like the mini

to do DVI, with 480p max at the iVideo store to keep content

master owners from coronary wards. the bluetooth would be

useful for other things, like headphones.

if it had a larger 272p screen, that would be nice but not as useful

as the wireless connection to control the good stuff (including

those 2-8 megapixel photos everyone owns) at a bigger

mac-hosted display. apple would do better to leverage its

reputation for high-quality multimedia on a larger display (an

apple 42" 1080p hdtv would be timely) than by rolling out

some poor crippled handheld.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by retiarius

[B- embedded 802.11g connection to actually sling undecoded ipod-hosted

video around to external devices.

- full-house miracle version that does HD (>=720p), H.264 decode,

coupled with introduction of 802.11 b/a/n/g AV express (requiring

bullt-in quicktime decode in the bricks).

[/B]

I'm just doubtful about the WiFi connection.

I just bought an HTC 6700 from Sprint. This phone is very nice. It also has Bluetooth 1.2 (though I wish it had 2 instead), and WiFi.

The problem is that if th WiFi is turned on the battery life goes down the tubes.

Without it I can go two days between recharges with everything else on. With it on I can only go maybe 4 hours. If I'm using it, the life goes to about two hours.

I think that Apple is aware of this problem. I would love to see Bluetooth 2. Apple has changed their support over to that on every updated machine.

Miracle version: Yes, it would be. H.264 decoding requires a large amount of cpu power. Maybe if Apple goes to Intel's new chip next year.