Apple to hold special event on Oct 12

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Yeah, you're right, of course. It was late, somehow I was thinking of something different.

I will have to get after that new punk, rwahrens, though, he has a big mouth.

yeah melgross, all these kids were trash talking ya while you were away
  • Reply 62 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

yeah melgross, all these kids were trash talking ya while you were away

It's a shame that when someone disagrees with you, you have to talk trash of your own.

The fact is, there is content Apple can, and will, use for launching a video iPod.

The fact is, that ALL the rumor sites have been talking up the vPod rumors because reliable sources of their own have been telling them it's being worked on.

The fact is that the iTunes Music Store has had music videos (not for download, but for online streaming) for over six months, so yes there IS content they can easily turn around and sell.

Just because you have a different opinion, and I can back up what I'm saying by what others are saying too does not make me a punk.

I'm a tech support professional, I work on both Macs and Wintel boxes, and have a firm grounding in technical issues, and have worked for the Federal government for over thirty years.

If you want to predict that the announcement on next Wednesday will NOT include a vPod, go ahead, you are entitled to your opinion.

I think it's likely, because too many people have seen too many hints from Apple that it is making one.

That's MY opinion, and if ya don't like it, tough!8)
  • Reply 63 of 112
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,599member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwahrens

It's a shame that when someone disagrees with you, you have to talk trash of your own.

The fact is, there is content Apple can, and will, use for launching a video iPod.

The fact is, that ALL the rumor sites have been talking up the vPod rumors because reliable sources of their own have been telling them it's being worked on.

The fact is that the iTunes Music Store has had music videos (not for download, but for online streaming) for over six months, so yes there IS content they can easily turn around and sell.

Just because you have a different opinion, and I can back up what I'm saying by what others are saying too does not make me a punk.

I'm a tech support professional, I work on both Macs and Wintel boxes, and have a firm grounding in technical issues, and have worked for the Federal government for over thirty years.

If you want to predict that the announcement on next Wednesday will NOT include a vPod, go ahead, you are entitled to your opinion.

I think it's likely, because too many people have seen too many hints from Apple that it is making one.

That's MY opinion, and if ya don't like it, tough!8)

It makes you a punk when the first thing you can say being new here to or about someone you don't know is:

"Are you crazy?"

And the second is:

"just what I was tying to tell that idiot."

The smiley really doesn't make it go away.

There are better ways to respond if you're a professional. I hope that's over with.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. You are entitled to that, as are we all. I've had many years of experience in this business myself, and none of that matters.

I made an unusual type or error, that I don't normally make. Fine.

I simply find that the rumors sites over the years are wrong far more often then they are right, The WSJ is right far more often than it is wrong. I'm simply going by that.

Anything else we say is mere speculation which we all seem to enjoy. We have less than a week to go, then we'll see. My people at Apple are being very close lipped about this whole thing. The only time before they were so untalkative was when I asked about the WSJ Intel article. Usually they give me hints. Not this time.

I would like to see a video iPod though. My guess when the Nano came out was that they would take the Nano's wheel, and put a larger screen in. I still say that it might happen, but that's entirely my guess.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It makes you a punk when the first thing you can say being new here to or about someone you don't know is:

"Are you crazy?"

And the second is:

"just what I was tying to tell that idiot."

The smiley really doesn't make it go away.

There are better ways to respond if you're a professional. I hope that's over with.

I'm not disagreeing with your opinion. You are entitled to that, as are we all. I've had many years of experience in this business myself, and none of that matters.

I made an unusual type or error, that I don't normally make. Fine.

I simply find that the rumors sites over the years are wrong far more often then they are right, The WSJ is right far more often than it is wrong. I'm simply going by that.

Anything else we say is mere speculation which we all seem to enjoy. We have less than a week to go, then we'll see. My people at Apple are being very close lipped about this whole thing. The only time before they were so untalkative was when I asked about the WSJ Intel article. Usually they give me hints. Not this time.

I would like to see a video iPod though. My guess when the Nano came out was that they would take the Nano's wheel, and put a larger screen in. I still say that it might happen, but that's entirely my guess.

Ok, sorry 'bout the "idiot" remark. But not the 'crazy' thing, tho it wasn't meant as anything but "haven't you been paying attention to the market?"

Apple and all their employees have traditionally been close-lipped about future products - and while some employees have been known in the past to be a bit loose-lipped at times, Apple has really cracked down recently. This next announcement may be big - even if they announce the vPod, there has been some speculation (read this one as "wishful thinking"?) that there may be some new stuff in the computer lines that are getting long in the tooth.

If they really have some surprises, that would definitely explain things.

But did you read the article over on Insanely Great Mac (http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5356) about the accidental release of an article by the BBC about a vPod? That has some whiff of possibility to it.

And, actually, I think it's interesting you describe the nano click wheel idea - that's exactly what I've read elsewhere that industry sources have described as a possible configuration, with the screen configuration being sideways to get the right ratio. That might make the small picture easier to see.

And as for the rumor sites being wrong, well, they ARE just rumor sites, after all, and being Mac fans like those of us who read them, I'm sure that they have bouts of wishful thinking just like the rest of us, and don't we all tend to believe things that seem to confirm our fondest hopes? I never heard them claim to be anything other than just someplace for all of us to hear the latest rumors - tho sometimes they do seem to have better sources, at least sometimes.

For me, I like to surf the different sites and pick up the hints where they fall. If I hear the same thing more than once, in different ways, over a period of time, like I've heard this vPod thing, well, it just seems to have a clearer ring to it.

<edit>

Oh, and just because my profile says 'junior member doesn't mean I'm necessarily "new" - just that I only recently started actually posting.

Although I don't see how that matters to the validity of my remarks.

You might not like the tone I take - that's fine - I think your tone is a bit too superior - but opinions are like faces - everybody's got one, we all like showing them off, and most of us take considerable pleasure in fiddling with them from time to time, and rarely like actually changing them (but think others always need changing)!

(and, yes, I really AM sorry for the 'idiot' remark - that's not typical of me to do that.)
  • Reply 65 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by rwahrens

Ok, sorry 'bout the "idiot" remark. But not the 'crazy' thing, tho it wasn't meant as anything but "haven't you been paying attention to the market?"

Apple and all their employees have traditionally been close-lipped about future products - and while some employees have been known in the past to be a bit loose-lipped at times, Apple has really cracked down recently. This next announcement may be big - even if they announce the vPod, there has been some speculation (read this one as "wishful thinking"?) that there may be some new stuff in the computer lines that are getting long in the tooth.

If they really have some surprises, that would definitely explain things.

But did you read the article over on Insanely Great Mac (http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=5356) about the accidental release of an article by the BBC about a vPod? That has some whiff of possibility to it.

And, actually, I think it's interesting you describe the nano click wheel idea - that's exactly what I've read elsewhere that industry sources have described as a possible configuration, with the screen configuration being sideways to get the right ratio. That might make the small picture easier to see.

And as for the rumor sites being wrong, well, they ARE just rumor sites, after all, and being Mac fans like those of us who read them, I'm sure that they have bouts of wishful thinking just like the rest of us, and don't we all tend to believe things that seem to confirm our fondest hopes? I never heard them claim to be anything other than just someplace for all of us to hear the latest rumors - tho sometimes they do seem to have better sources, at least sometimes.

For me, I like to surf the different sites and pick up the hints where they fall. If I hear the same thing more than once, in different ways, over a period of time, like I've heard this vPod thing, well, it just seems to have a clearer ring to it.

<edit>

Oh, and just because my profile says 'junior member doesn't mean I'm necessarily "new" - just that I only recently started actually posting.

Although I don't see how that matters to the validity of my remarks.

You might not like the tone I take - that's fine - I think your tone is a bit too superior - but opinions are like faces - everybody's got one, we all like showing them off, and most of us take considerable pleasure in fiddling with them from time to time, and rarely like actually changing them (but think others always need changing)!

(and, yes, I really AM sorry for the 'idiot' remark - that's not typical of me to do that.)

Jr. member does mean number of interactions with other members. Lurking is different. We all get pissed off when someone repeats strange, odd remarks and doesn't listen. But you have to give someone a chance to correct what they say before jumping on them, unless they started out that way.

I've got friends in Apple's engineering management that I've known for many years. They usually give me tidbits, hints, sideways suggestions. They've been pretty helpful. I've been able to give good information here before events or releases happen.

When I know facts, I present them as such. When I have an opinion, I present that as well.

It's been pointed out before that I'm not perfect. I'd rather not be an adversary.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    countdown timer (sorry, non-interactive, but it is off my working flash code. please shout out if any innacuracies)

timer is accurate as of post time recorded by forum engine (note that this is recorded by the bulletin board as GMT):

time left till apple financial results (conf. call)

0 days

13 hours

8 minutes

time left till apple product release (san jose)

1 days

9 hours

8 minutes
  • Reply 67 of 112
    No new music Tuesday today? Hmmm...
  • Reply 68 of 112
    (edit: fixing bug, please hold...)
  • Reply 69 of 112
    time left till apple financial results

0 days

11 hours

50 minutes

time left till apple product release

1 days

8 hours

50 minutes

(man, all this date handling stuff is not as easy as it seems \ )
  • Reply 70 of 112
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Bodog has the odds if anyone wants to actually put their money where their mouth is.

What will Apple unveil at its press event on October 12th?

Any wagers placed after outcome becomes public knowledge will be graded as No Action. No Refunds. If more than one product/upgrade/offering is announced on the Oct.12th, 2005 press conference, all wagers will have NO ACTION. If none of the options listed below is announced, all wagers will have No Action.

Upgrade version of iPod

\t2/1

Video iPod

\t6/5

Updated versions of Power Mac and Powerbook

\t2/1

Airport Express with Video

\t3/1

Itunes Video Store

\t11/2

Tiered Pricing for Itunes songs

\t6/1

Apple Game Console

\t7/1

OSX for PC

\t9/1

--B
  • Reply 71 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

No new music Tuesday today? Hmmm...

Sometimes it does come up a little later on in the day - too early to say just now.
  • Reply 72 of 112
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Bodog has the odds if anyone wants to actually put their money where their mouth is.

What will Apple unveil at its press event on October 12th?

Any wagers placed after outcome becomes public knowledge will be graded as No Action. No Refunds. If more than one product/upgrade/offering is announced on the Oct.12th, 2005 press conference, all wagers will have NO ACTION. If none of the options listed below is announced, all wagers will have No Action.

Upgrade version of iPod

\t2/1

Video iPod

\t6/5

Updated versions of Power Mac and Powerbook

\t2/1

Airport Express with Video

\t3/1

Itunes Video Store

\t11/2

Tiered Pricing for Itunes songs

\t6/1

Apple Game Console

\t7/1

OSX for PC

\t9/1

--B

that's weird that more than one announcment results in NO ACTIOn. most likely updated iPod and updated powermacs/powerbooks, those two items with 2:1 odds
  • Reply 73 of 112
    Itunes Video Store

11/2

I like these odds
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Quote:

that's weird that more than one announcment results in NO ACTIOn. most likely updated iPod and updated powermacs/powerbooks, those two items with 2:1 odds

That's what I thought; house will win that no matter what. If it's an iTVS then a video iPod and/or at least an update to the iPod. I can't see any ONE item on that list being bet-worthy, given the no action if more than two occur.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    gambling 101: the House always wins

edit:

does No Action means you lose whatever you put down?
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Quote:

gambling 101: the House always wins

edit:

does No Action means you lose whatever you put down?

Maybe they could give great odds on all of them happening...

.. that'd be worth a $5 bet.... 1000:1 at least....

... especially if you include the Mad-onna iPod at 12:1.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    Quote:

time left till apple financial results

0 days

11 hours

50 minutes

time left till apple product release

1 days

8 hours

50 minutes

(man, all this date handling stuff is not as easy as it seems \ )

I fugured that you would do this.

I'm just ticked that I've got a parents association meeting tonite that I have to leave for at 4:30 Eastern time so I'll miss it as it comes out, and might not see it until ten in the evening.
  • Reply 78 of 112
    hey mel, no worries, the news is all out now. check out the after-hours trading appleinsider article. since you're in nyc, which puts you closer to the Street than most of us , maybe you could answer my question there about WTF exactly is after hours trading and how does it work....

heh. i've got a few days left on my .mac before apple shuts it down (i'm not renewing for another year, thanks gmail! so i'll rejig the flash thingy and see if i can post it up on .mac public_html for the product launch countdown. i feel i got it working quite well now, works regardless of what timezone your computer is set to. date handling is bloody annoying but it was important for me to re-familiarize myself with the state of flash8 actionscripting... slowly trying to get back into flash coding. y'all wish me luck, yah....
  • Reply 79 of 112
    gotta run, no countdown timer. but anyway manual entry here:

less than 15 hours to One More Thing after AAPL announced its greatest quarter ever.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    14 hours and 45 minutes. Must change underpants now. Start washer to assure fresh pair for special event.