Most succesful mac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well what is it?

I´m not talking about what sold most but what was the best product all things considered? A product would be G3 iMac or clamshell iBook, Not all iMacs or a specific model like the 400 Mhz G4 Powermac. Its on a per form factor basis.

I would say the current iBook. It has been around for many years and you really don´t hear a need to change its looks or add more stuff. Yes you want it to be faster and especially the GPU is considered a problem. But that merely evolutionary things. People still love that cutie.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    how can i say anything but the G3 iMac? It got Apple thinking about design and simplicity all over again. Plus, i'd still like to have one around, it's a solid little machine that has always and will for a while yet work great for basic computing tasks. Some of the later ones can even burn cds and handle iPhoto to some extent.

personally, Dalmation was my favorite iMac. I have only ever owned a 400mhz lime one, i loved it, but eventually switched to the iBook. i suspect when i return to a more permanent home, i'll pick and old one for a second computer.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I'd have to agree with the iBook (the white one).

It's been around forever and it's still a good value for design.

I have a feeling that's the way the current iMac G5 is going to be- the design is near perfect, although it would be nice to have height adjustment.

I have the feeling that *most* of apple's hardware right now is *near* perfection in terms of industrial design.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Most successful in terms of what... market share? uptime?

I know people who are still running II ci's... damn near bulletproof after almost 16 years.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    oh come on now==

the best mac was the first mac, and mac plus it had the most memorable superbowl commercial, it empowered all. it was my first kiss....er...first mac the best it opened a new vista to all those that thought computers were peripheral distant and untamed. mac the first set off a tidal wave of inovation
  • Reply 5 of 21
    iMac, no contest. It turned Apple around financially and allowed the "iApp" revolution. Without the iMac's success a lot of what Apple has done since would never have come to pass. Most successful design is probably the white iBook, everything you need in a computer in a small, tough AND stylish package.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

it opened a new vista

Oh I hope not. I don't want Vista opened on MY Mac!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    fngfng Posts: 222member
    Bondi Blue iMac = saved Apple

But you know where would we be without the original?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I agree on the whole iMac G3 line. It began Apple's return to being a big player in the industry. The iBook, iPod, iApps, and many others wouldn't exist had the iMac not had the impact it did. Hell, Apple may not exist now without it.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I agree on the whole iMac G3 line. It began Apple's return to being a big player in the industry. The iBook, iPod, iApps, and many others wouldn't exist had the iMac not had the impact it did. Hell, Apple may not exist now without it.

Can't imagine life without my Mac:smokey
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Most successful in terms of what... market share? uptime?

I know people who are still running II ci's... damn near bulletproof after almost 16 years.

well, technically, the Apple I and II weren't Macs...but like you said, they've been around forever (my school had them up until a year ago, and I think they're still around) My elementary school also had them up until 5 years ago.

From the mac world...definitely the G3 iMac...it is the iconic mac...getting old now, but still going.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Mac IIfx

The most "ahead of the rest of the industry" mac ever. Too bad it cost 10 grand.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The iMac G3, by far.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Mac IIfx

The most "ahead of the rest of the industry" mac ever. Too bad it cost 10 grand.

I think you mean Spartacus...

the 20th Anniversary Mac (actually the 20th Anniversary Apple) from 1997

and the 10 grand included TV tuner, and about 6 grand worth of Bose stereo... later dropped to $1999.

wish I'd picked one up at that price... easily worth more now if in pristine shape.

I used a IIfx "Blackbird" for a while at work... mismatched chip and mobo clock speeds caused heat issues, which led to the cpu working loose... every few hours you had to pop the lid and push the chips back in. \

...but the fx was the fastest machine of its day, and was almost 25% faster than the ci's in the office. 8)
  • Reply 14 of 21
    If I had a TAM I'd still leave it out on display today. It's that sexy.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Another vote for the iMac G3. It made people who weren't into computers pay attention to the mac platform.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    iMac G3 - best industrial design forever.

Changed all rules.

my2cents
  • Reply 17 of 21
    I was not following mac when it came out but looking back at pictures I would have to say the cube looked amazing, inspiring design, if they made one now I would buy it....hell thought about buying one just for display
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by mercury7

...I would have to say the cube looked amazing, inspiring design, if they made one now I would buy it...

But it was, by far, NOT the most "succesful." (sic)
  • Reply 19 of 21
    granted...been reading about it since I posted that....apparently it did'nt go over to well
  • Reply 20 of 21
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

and the 10 grand included TV tuner, and about 6 grand worth of Bose stereo... later dropped to $1999.

wish I'd picked one up at that price... easily worth more now if in pristine shape.

One of those were sold at a Danish online auction for $350 last week.