Apple enhances PowerBooks with higher-res displays

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    dh87dh87 Posts: 73member
    Where does the 20% longer battery life come from? The battery appears to have the same part number as previous PowerBooks on the Apple website. The screen is brighter and likely uses more power. The memory is different, but I don't know if that makes a significant difference. Everything else appears to be the same assuming that it really has the 7447A processor.
  • Reply 42 of 78
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

My 1Gig TiBook is getting a tad long in the tooth, but I really don't feel compelled to cough up 2k for a new one.

Keep in mind that PowerBook resale values are pretty high. You can get maybe $700 bucks for your current laptop. Check out eBay.
  • Reply 43 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by CrazyWingman

At last! I've been waiting and waiting for a PB update before buying a new computer. They updated today, and I bought tonight. I am now the proud new owner of a 12" PowerBook.

"A 12" PowerBook?" you all ask? Yes. I find it to be the perfect size, with a great amount of power. And the best part is what most sites aren't reporting on: there may not have been a big upgrade to them, but there was quite a good price drop. 20 extra gigs of hard drive space, plus a Super Drive for the price of the Combo. In addition, almost no one noticed that Apple also dropped the price of dropping in a gig of RAM from $475 to $250.

So, I've finally joined the club, and I'm enjoying what I see so far. I've only had a couple hours to play around tonight. Real trials will come tomorrow and over the weekend. I need to set up .mac and build a website about my honeymoon.

Hope there are some other happy people around here.

Congratulation, enjoy, be happy.
  • Reply 44 of 78
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dh87

Where does the 20% longer battery life come from?

From marketing people... maybe? When the first units ship and we have some reports, it will be more clear.
  • Reply 45 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by a j stev

I guess that we can expect another incremental update to the powerbooks and mini in February if the 7448 is to ever be included in this Apple line up. Either that or its all the way with x86.\

This last update means two things to me.

(1) Despite the fact that the 7448 is available in small quantities for some months now, Freescale seems unable to produce at this moment (and for the 1-2 months to come) sufficient quantities for Apple. In that respect, Freescale is not at all better than old-mamma Motorola.

(2) The next Powerbook will be Intel-based. Count around April-May. Apple cannot aford to let the Powerbook in this situation for long. Besides, it will be no long time from now that the iBook will need another refresh. What they will do then? I see the portables going soon Intel (spring 2006). Unless the least probable scenario occurs: Apple updates this winter/spring once more the Powerbook, with the 7448 this time, leaving room for another PPC iBook update.
  • Reply 46 of 78
    Now wait a moment. Do I see correctly or my eyes play tricks with me? The 12" iBook has 512 MB RAM built-in and one free user-accessible slot, while the "new" 12" Powerbook has 256 MB RAM built-in and onother 256 in the user-accessible slot? The 12" iBook got updated GPU in July, while the 12" Powerbook has still the same old school geforce 5200 fx go? Really, after this update I wonder if the 12" Powerbook is already EOL. What changed anyway with it? Did Apple drop the price just to clear inventory?
  • Reply 47 of 78
    Yeah, I noticed that too, thought maybe it was a misprint when Apple specs said max. RAM was 1.25GB!

If so, I find it doubly negative: lower max. RAM, plus a bit misleading when you see "512MB" RAM as standard, without specifying that it's 2 banks.

A step backwards.
  • Reply 48 of 78
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It's very possible that Apple expects that the 12" iBooks will fill in for the 12" PB when the Mactels come along.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

It's very possible that Apple expects that the 12" iBooks will fill in for the 12" PB when the Mactels come along.

I don't know if it is this or else, but I certainly feel something up in the air about the 12" Powerbook.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I don't know if it is this or else, but I certainly feel something up in the air about the 12" Powerbook.

Me too.

But Apple needs a Pro series thin and light.

My guess is it will go 12" or 13" widescreen and they have not finished yet. It will probably debut when Intel comes out in Apple hardware.
  • Reply 51 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by dh87

Where does the 20% longer battery life come from? The battery appears to have the same part number as previous PowerBooks on the Apple website. The screen is brighter and likely uses more power. The memory is different, but I don't know if that makes a significant difference. Everything else appears to be the same assuming that it really has the 7447A processor.

I suspect it's the screen that makes the bulk of the difference.
  • Reply 52 of 78
    The 12" not getting an update was very odd. No GPU update, no superdrive update and the base RAM still 256MB on the board. The 12" is essentially the same computer under the skin as the 12" iBook which had an update earlier in the year to 512MB onboard.

The 7448 no-show is also suspicious. So, is it Freescale not delivering or Apple fscking up the update and going with minor tweaks to the old design?

A few days before the update there was a story on Engadget about an ultrathin, ultrabright slightly higher res 11.1" display from Toshiba. That would have been fantastic in a small laptop replacement for the 12" powerbook.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

The 7448 no-show is also suspicious. So, is it Freescale not delivering or Apple fscking up the update and going with minor tweaks to the old design?

I doubt Apple would choose to update with minor touches here and there, like they did. They would never risk the end of the year buying season if they could. My guess is that Freescale was unable to produce the 7448 in sufficient quantities before the next year comes.
  • Reply 54 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I doubt Apple would choose to update with minor touches here and there, like they did. They would never risk the end of the year buying season if they could. My guess is that Freescale was unable to produce the 7448 in sufficient quantities before the next year comes.

I'm not so sure.

We've all had 'Plan B - tart up the old version because Plan A isn't working' projects. See also Windows Vista. They're at least on Plan B now, if not Plan G. ;-)
  • Reply 55 of 78
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

The 12" is essentially the same computer under the skin as the 12" iBook which had an update earlier in the year to 512MB onboard.

Unless I'm mistaken the 12" exactly the same, i.e. unchanged by yesterday's updates.
  • Reply 56 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

Unless I'm mistaken the 12" exactly the same, i.e. unchanged by yesterday's updates.

Indeed. But I was comparing the 12" Powerbook with the 12" iBook, which WAS updated earlier in the year to get 512MB soldered on to the motherboard. The Powerbook is still 256MB.
  • Reply 57 of 78
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I now believe that the lack of a 12-inch PowerBook update (processor, display, video, etc.) are a pretty good indication that these models are stop gap PowerBooks until Apple rolls out the new PowerBooks next year between January and March.

If you will recall, MacWorld San Fran has been the venue for major new PowerBooks. The Titanium and Aluminum PowerBooks debuted there. And other PowerBooks, like the Lombard were released at a now dysfunctional show in Tokyo. So the winter has always been good for MAJOR PowerBook updates. Here's to hoping...
  • Reply 58 of 78
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

The Powerbook is still 256MB.

'Tis the sad truth.
  • Reply 59 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I now believe that the lack of a 12-inch PowerBook update (processor, display, video, etc.) are a pretty good indication that these models are stop gap PowerBooks until Apple rolls out the new PowerBooks next year between January and March.

If that's the case then we're into possible Intel Powerbook territory and for me, that would be too early a switch. I don't want Rev A and I've lots of PPC software still that I'm not going to update for a year or so more (till after 10.5 at least).

Which means that we're possibly looking at the last PowerPC Powerbooks and I was hoping they'd be a nice final update. Just a brighter screen and better GPU on the 12" would have done for me. 7448 would have been nice and 512MB on the motherboard. Maybe I'll just save the cash and get another iBook to tide me over replacing my old G3 for when I need a laptop.

Dunno. Possibly they just didn't have a 12" update ready this week and it's due next week? at MacExpo in the UK? Possibly there's another PowerPC at MWSF and Intel in the Powerbook is 2H 06 with Merom afterall? It's awful second guessing Apple just now.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I don't think the Intel switch will happen that quickly. I think the Intel transisiton will be pretty slow, and Apple will develop PPC for at least another year.

Jobs seems to be about symmetry and balance. I can see him wanting to take the entire Macintosh line to G5.

The dual PowerMac will carry us through the next year. I wouldn't look for an Intel Power Mac until 2007.

I really have the feeling Apple is aiming for a G5 PowerBook and iBook. This would be the significant boost to carry the laptop line through 2006 with an Intel transition in 2007.

That may leave he Mac mini as the first computer to see the Intel transition. Or Apple may introduce a small tower as their first Intel machine.