Apple enhances PowerBooks with higher-res displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple today upgraded its PowerBook G4 line of notebook computers with higher-resolution displays and up to one hour more battery life on the 15- and 17-inch models. In addition, every new PowerBook now includes a DVD burning SuperDrive(TM) with prices starting at just $1,499.

The new higher-resolution PowerBooks provide significantly more screen real estate and include the 17-inch PowerBook with a 1680-by-1050 pixel resolution -- 36 percent more than the previous generation -- and the 15-inch PowerBook with a 1440-by-960 pixel resolution -- 26 percent more than the previous generation.

Ideal for business and creative professionals, the new 15- and 17-inch PowerBooks make reading text and viewing images even easier with brighter displays -- up to 46 percent brighter on the 17-inch model. The 15- and 17-inch PowerBooks also provide up to an additional hour of battery life to get even more work done while on the road.

"The Apple PowerBook continues to deliver the ultimate in portability, performance and innovative features," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Our mobile customers are going to love working on the new high-resolution PowerBook displays and appreciate the added productivity that one more hour of battery life delivers."

The PowerBook line includes three models: the 1.5 GHz 12-inch PowerBook with an 8X SuperDrive and the new 1.67 GHz 15- and 17-inch PowerBooks with an 8X SuperDrive with double-layer support. Both the 15- and 17-inch PowerBooks include ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics with 128MB DDR dedicated video memory and now feature built-in Dual Link support to drive Apple's massive 30-inch Cinema HD Display as an external monitor, providing more than four million pixels of additional workspace.

Every PowerBook includes built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate), integrated AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g WiFi wireless networking, a scrolling TrackPad and Apple's Sudden Motion Sensor technology. Mac OS X version 10.4 "Tiger," the fifth major release of the world's most advanced operating system and iLife '05, Apple's award-winning suite of digital lifestyle applications, are included with every PowerBook.

Pricing & Availability

The 12-inch and new 15- and 17-inch PowerBooks are available immediately through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

The 1.5 GHz, 12-inch PowerBook G4, for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US), includes:

512MB of PC2700 333 MHz DDR SDRAM, expandable up to 1.25GB;

a slot-load 8X SuperDrive (DVD+/-RW/CD-RW) optical drive;

an 80GB Ultra ATA/100 (5400 rpm) hard drive with Sudden Motion Sensor;

AirPort Extreme 54 Mbps 802.11g WiFi fast wireless networking and internal Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;

DVI, VGA, S-video and composite video support;

two USB 2.0 ports and FireWire® 400;

audio line in and headphone out; and

a scrolling TrackPad.

The 1.67 GHz, 15-inch PowerBook G4, for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US), includes:

a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW);

512MB of PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM running at 333 MHz, expandable up to 2GB;

80GB Ultra ATA/100 (5400 rpm) hard drive with Sudden Motion Sensor;

Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;

DVI (Dual Link for 30-inch Cinema HD Display support), VGA, S-video and composite video support;

Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T);

two USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 400 and 800;

analog and optical digital audio input and output;

illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor; and

a scrolling TrackPad.

The 1.67 GHz, 17-inch PowerBook G4, for a suggested retail price of $2,499 (US), includes:

a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD+R DL/DVD+/-RW/CD-RW);

512MB of PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM running at 333 MHz, expandable up to 2GB;

120GB Ultra ATA/100 (5400 rpm) hard drive with Sudden Motion Sensor;

Built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking & Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;

DVI (Dual Link for 30-inch Cinema HD Display support), VGA, S-video and composite video support;

Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000BASE-T);

two USB 2.0 ports, FireWire 400 and 800;

analog and optical digital audio input and output;

illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor; and

a scrolling TrackPad.

Additional build-to-order options for the 12-inch PowerBook include the ability to upgrade to 100GB (5400 rpm) hard drive, up to 1.25GB DDR SDRAM, a slot-load Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW) optical drive, and the AppleCare Protection Plan. Additional build-to-order options for the new 15- and 17-inch PowerBooks include the ability to upgrade up to 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, a slot-load Combo (DVD- ROM/CD-RW) optical drive, and the AppleCare Protection Plan. The new 15-inch PowerBook also offers a 100GB or 120GB (5400 rpm) hard drive as a build-to- order option.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 78
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Oof. That's ugly. Guess I'll wait until Intel comes.
  • Reply 2 of 78
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Does the longer battery life suggest a new 7448? Maybe not, due to same 333 RAM Mhz bus?
  • Reply 3 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Oof. That's ugly. Guess I'll wait until Intel comes.

Why ugly? For 15", you now get everything in the former $2300 model for $2000, plus:

-- 128MB graphics memory, vs 64MB

-- 25% more screen pixels (1440x960 vs 1280x854)

-- Better superdrive (dual layer DVD burning capability)

-- Faster memory

-- 20% longer battery life

Guessing you were expecting a 7448 w/ 200 Mhz bus (400 Mhz RAM)? For ref, here's the compare from today's PB to yesterday's:

• Reply 4 of 78
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

Why ugly? For 15", you now get everything in the former $2300 model for $2000, plus:

-- 128MB graphics memory, vs 64MB

-- 25% more screen pixels (1440x960 vs 1280x854)

-- Better superdrive (dual layer DVD burning capability)

-- Faster memory

-- 20% longer battery life

They've also added digital audio in/out, which was previously only available on the 17". It seems at the moment that there's no way of telling if they're using 7448s or 7447s, but you would have thought that if it were 7448, they'd make more of a deal about it.
  • Reply 5 of 78
    Very disapointing update, not even 1.8GHz G4s.
  • Reply 6 of 78
    This "update" proves Apple had no choice but to switch to Intel. Guess I'll buy an iMac while the Powerbook wait continues.
  • Reply 7 of 78
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Apple can only do what's possible.

They don't have faster G4 chips, so they upgraded a bunch of other things.

Now stay tuned for Intel Earlier than June maybe?

Re the 12" staying the same... it ALREADY has tiny pixels. Packing in more res sounds good on paper, but it's bad for readability. That's not good for most users.

I'd have like to see lighted keys and a higher GPU on it, though. I want a 12" PB next... but I want the FULL features of the higher 'Books (or what space/cooling permits).
  • Reply 8 of 78
    Time to say farewell, once again, to my 12" Powerbook. Looks like I'm heading back to the 15".

With the Developer discount, and bumping the HD to the 120 Gig option, I'm looking at $2470 Canadian (incl. tax). I'll upgrade the RAM myself. That seems like an insane bargain to me.

The 76% increase in screen real-estate (over my current 12" PB) is the kicker for me.

So, anyone around Toronto want a 12" 1.33 80Gig 768Meg SD PB? Yours for $1600 C$. I'll even throw in a free iSight.
  • Reply 9 of 78
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Why ugly?

Those things are fine, but come on, PowerBooks hit 1.33 Ghz in 2003, 2 frickin years ago. Now they're at... 1.67 Ghz. That's pathetic. In the same time period the PowerMacs have gone from using a 1.4Ghz G4 to a dual-core 2.5 Ghz G5. This is why Apple is switching to Intel.
  • Reply 10 of 78
    Dealram has this page for what appears to be the correct spec. for the new 15", but it's labeled '533MHz', whereas Apple's page lists '333MHz'; anyone know if this is definitive, best place to get, etc.?

Thanks.
  • Reply 11 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Those things are fine, but come on, PowerBooks hit 1.33 Ghz in 2003, 2 frickin years ago. Now they're at... 1.67 Ghz. That's pathetic. ... This is why Apple is switching to Intel.

Definitely agreed on the motivation of Intel switch. And personally, I was at least hoping for a 7448. Given the 333 bus (vs 7448's 400), I'm assuming we still have the older G4s.

That said, the new 15" is effectively a ~US$500 discount off yesterday's prices, *before* the higher res, longer battery life, and better DVD. That's something in itself, despite the stagnant processor.

re: 7448, given this update and the timeline to Macintel, it seems likely Apple won't invest the R&D into upgrading PB CPUs until they're x86. So this may be the last PPC PB rev ever. And that's a machine I want, being wary of the migration issues and software delays of the early Macintel models.
  • Reply 12 of 78
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    The new PB uses 533mhz DDR RAM--it's just been downclocked to 333. 533 should work fine.
  • Reply 13 of 78
    Thanks!

Anyone know if the latency will matter (I don't think it did even back in the day)? Heck, I don't even know if they make faster latency DDR2 SO-DIMMs. I wonder.

Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

The new PB uses 533mhz DDR RAM--it's just been downclocked to 333. 533 should work fine.

• Reply 14 of 78
    I'm kind of relieved my PowerBook 12" from June is still almost top of the line. At the same time, it sucks for people who waited over a few months for the update. Hopefully Intel will be very impressive.
  • Reply 15 of 78
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Who will explain what happened to MPC7448? I cannot believe that there still is the 7447 there in.
  • Reply 16 of 78
    I really would've like to see the resolution on the smallest PB increased too. Not necessarily a 12", as a 13.3" would be fantastic, something like the same sized Sony Vaio, though as light as the current 12". Extra resolution, for 2 pages side by side, ultra portability compared to the 15", keyboard closer to full size, etc. Maybe Apple will wait till the Intel chips are ready. But it's definitely a powerbook I'd buy.
  • Reply 17 of 78
    hmm...no FrontRow either...I was hoping for that in some form or another...o well, not a huge deal I guess...

and now for Intel...
  • Reply 18 of 78
    eminemin Posts: 45member
    Not as great an update as I was hoping for, but I'm buying anyway. I'm tired of waiting and I need a laptop badly now.
  • Reply 19 of 78
    This is a sexy picture too...

• Reply 20 of 78
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Definitely agreed on the motivation of Intel switch. And personally, I was at least hoping for a 7448. Given the 333 bus (vs 7448's 400), I'm assuming we still have the older G4s.

You're confusing Front Side Bus (FSB) speed with System (RAM) Bus speed. There is a chip (I believe codenamed Intrepid) that interfaces the processor to the RAM, Intrepid has a single-pumped bus to the processor (Motorola's MAXBUS, this is the FSB), and a double-pumped bus to the system RAM; the two buses are independent and don't necessarily have to be integer multiples of one another (although that does help implementation somewhat).

The 7447 has a maximum FSB speed of 167 MHz, and the 7448 has a max FSB speed of 200 MHz.

The numbers that Apple quote are those of the system RAM bus speed, not the FSB speed. Apple do not quote enough information to know for sure whether they are using the 7447 or 7448, but I would have expected at least SOME increase in processor speed if it were the 7448.

Anyway, that lack of any significant speed increase in almost a year is very sad for the PowerBook. Bring on the Intels!