Microsoft's reasoning

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    I was wondering about that. What IF the iTMS were to go under. WOULD we be able to play the protected files? Because you have to validate your computer to play the songs with your Apple ID and password. If Apple's servers disappeared. What could you do? (very unlikely situation, I know)
  • Reply 82 of 98
    Burn them to a CD now, rip them later.

Something you cant do with subcription service from what I understand.
  • Reply 83 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alias789

Burn them to a CD now, rip them later.

Something you cant do with subcription service from what I understand.

well yah, but what if you don't burn any cds. I know how to get around the security, that's easy. The thing is, I've never felt the NEED to do that. I just set up a smart playlist that informs me that I have 772 tracks from the iTunes Music Store. I never use cds anymore. To convert all of those to unprotected format is a waste of energy, that I'll probably never do.

Again, I'm not worried that Apple is going to go under so... but what IF they did?!?! That is the question.

And a side note, I didn't BUY all those songs 500 of them I got for free from winning 2nd place in the Apple Keynote Design contest. I am surprised to see that I've spent 250+ dollars at iTunes! Wow! It adds up over time
  • Reply 84 of 98
    double post
  • Reply 85 of 98
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

I was wondering about that. What IF the iTMS were to go under. WOULD we be able to play the protected files? Because you have to validate your computer to play the songs with your Apple ID and password. If Apple's servers disappeared. What could you do? (very unlikely situation, I know)

It would take Apple going under, not just iTMS to get to that level of problem. That's a whole different kettle of fish.
  • Reply 86 of 98
    i personally dont see how these subscription services can keep going, i dont see how they are really financially viable for the record companies.

Each song sold on itunes, the record company gets about 70 cents is that right?

but how are they paid for the subscription service, do they get a peercentage of the revenue comparative to the percentage thats in the store, even if this is true they still get peanuts.

does someone know how it works?

stu
  • Reply 87 of 98
    Do any of the subscription services allow you to listen on a portable device?
  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Do any of the subscription services allow you to listen on a portable device?

I think so, that's what TidelWav was complaining about. The fact that they DON'T work on the iPod.

So really, when you think about it. The other stores are only serving 25% of the market that owns an mp3 player, plus those that just listen on their computer.
  • Reply 89 of 98
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The way I understand it, you only need to connect to Apple's servers to authorize/deauthorize a computer. So if Apple's servers went down indefinitely today, you could still play the music on the machines that are authorized.
  • Reply 90 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The way I understand it, you only need to connect to Apple's servers to authorize/deauthorize a computer. So if Apple's servers went down indefinitely today, you could still play the music on the machines that are authorized.

But that's only good so long as you have THAT computer. I plan on upgrading at least once every 2-3 years or so.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    you can play music from napster on an mp3 player, but only if you get napster on the go ($14.99 pm)

and yahoo music is putting up their prices to $10 pm

so if you were talking about them, its not $4.99 anymore

anyway what was the mp3 player $50 below an ipod that had more featues?

stu
  • Reply 92 of 98
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stustanley

you can play music from napster on an mp3 player, but only if you get napster on the go ($14.99 pm)

And only if the mp3 player supports Microsoft Plays For Sure. Most of the iPod competitors do now.

Basically, the rental services mostly have a two-tier system. A cheaper service whereby you can only play the rented music on computers, and a more expensive service where you can play the music on computers and any portable devices that support Plays For Sure.

If you want to burn to CD any of the tracks that you've downloaded, you have to pay an additional fee per track. Unless I am mistaken, that fee is around 79 cents for most rental services in the US.

As far as how the music companies get compensated, I believe that that is still up in the air. I don't know how accurate it is, and have not seen any follow-up, but according to this article, the payments are being placed in escrow until a way to distribute the money has been agreed.

I also read elsewhere that there is a little-publicised "big brother" issue with rental services. In order that copyright holders know how to distribute the money fairly between artists, they need to know how many times a song has been listened to. So each month, your computer contacts the subscription provider, and at the same time as renewing the licenses, passes on the information about which songs have been listened to, and how many times. To be honest, such behaviour wouldn't really bother me, but it could bother some people.

Quote:

That doesn't exist. Someone was being a knob and we're ignoring him.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    Quote:

and yahoo music is putting up their prices to $10 pm

so if you were talking about them, its not $4.99 anymore

Suddenly the value diminishes. Surprise.

Quote:

None was ever mentioned.

I doubt, at the nano level, there is any. Apple is spanking everyone one on pricing. They just have too good a deal on component parts...and they have most capacity locked up.

At the "regular" iPod level...maybe someone is beating Apple on price and features. Probably Dell. But...then you have to own a Dell...not all costs are monetary.
  • Reply 94 of 98
    Quote:

But that's only good so long as you have THAT computer. I plan on upgrading at least once every 2-3 years or so.

This is a very good question. Anyone have an answer?
  • Reply 95 of 98
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Well, you need to write to the Library of Congres to make sure that openning obsolete files, and doing several other legal non-infringing things can be done legally

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/comment_forms/index.html
  • Reply 96 of 98
    I still say your making a mountain out of a molehill. Granted it may take some time to burn all our purchased music to audio CD format, but that is main point of Apples iTunes business model. You own the music, should they ever go under. Why would they bother having some grandfather server just so you can authorize or deauthorize. Apple wouldn't provide you with a direct means to strip the DRM, that would no doubt be in violation of contracts with the record companys. They have already given you a way out. With technology the way it is by the time or if Apple goes under we will have nearly instantaneous CD burners

P.S. This thread is way of topic now.
  • Reply 97 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alias789

P.S. This thread is way of topic now.

If people prefer MS to Apple then why bother with an Apple forum? Have a small system feature problem?
  • Reply 98 of 98
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

This is a very good question. Anyone have an answer?

Personally I'd take out the HD from the Authorised compy and use it as a boot disk in the new one, or put it into an external enclusure to play music off there..

Or, get a DRM stripping app.

Or, get one of the CD's I burned all the tracks to and rip it. By then we'll all be driving flying cars, riding hoverboards and DRM will be a thing of the past..

There's probably a couple more solutions. But I think I've covered the main bases. I'm interested to hear other people's ideas because though it's unlikely, it could still happen.

. . .

Jimzip