New Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am going to buy a new PB in three days.

I have one question:

15" r 17"?

I will configure either with 2 GB and 7200 RPM HDD.

This will be my only computer.

I will use it for web design and graphic design as well as some book layout.

Airplane travel will be minimal.

However, I will travel on occasion and I will be transporting from home and work on a daily basis.

Your helpful insights are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I'd go with the 15".
  • Reply 2 of 30
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Since the new PB screen revision the decision comes down to one factor, the [size of penis/penis envy]/size of your wallet-factor.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Since the new PB screen revision the decision comes down to one factor, the [size of penis/penis envy]/size of your wallet-factor.

Yes...getting the 17" sounds like compensation to me.

Be a real man. Get the 15"

The 17" is just overkill anyway...
  • Reply 4 of 30
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Yes...getting the 17" sounds like compensation to me.

Be a real man. Get the 15"

The 17" is just overkill anyway...

As a current 17" and soon-to-be 15" owner, I'll subscribe to this.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    As a graphic artist / web designer myself.. when I bought my current (old) 17" Powerbook, the first thing I thought to myself was "Wow.. I wish 20" Laptops existed..", because 1440x900 just isn't that much space when you're doing just about anything creative!

Now that the new 17" powerbooks have the effective pixel count OF a 20" well.. To put it simply, my bank account is $2500 lighter. :P

People can get by with smaller screens, but the bottom line is, if you can afford it, get it.

- Xidius
  • Reply 6 of 30
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 9secondko

I have one question:

15" r 17"?

I will use it for web design and graphic design as well as some book layout.

Airplane travel will be minimal.

However, I will travel on occasion and I will be transporting from home and work on a daily basis.

I would tell you to go for the 17" (since you do web and graphics design), but I will finally tell you to buy the 15" model because you will do regularly the travel home <--> work. The improved resolution will offer you more than the previous 17", let alone the previous 15". And while transporting it daily, you will appreciate the more compact form factor.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

I would tell you to go for the 17" (since you do web and graphics design), but I will finally tell you to buy the 15" model because you will do regularly the travel home <--> work. The improved resolution will offer you more than the previous 17", let alone the previous 15". And while transporting it daily, you will appreciate the more compact form factor.

A big deciding factor for me, in addition (as I travel often as well) was that the new 17" displays are 46% brighter than the previous gen, while the 15" has been reported to be dimmer in many cases, than new models of the last rev.

When your screen is built-in I'd consider that to be a major issue.

- Xidius
  • Reply 8 of 30
    The only beef I had with the previous 17 was that the 15 screen was much brighter and had greater color saturation.

Now, with such high resolution, color saturation, and brightness, I think the 17 is looking better every day. I went to the Apple store yesterday and I think the 17 does not look much larger, but viewing items on the screen was much more impressive on the 17. As the gentlemen said above, the built-in factor increases the value of the screen.

Also, this will be my only computer. I need a portable desktop replacement.

I was wondering if the slight increase in size is actually that much of a hassle when traveling. Anyone with a 17" have issues with this?

I should have started out this thread saying I am leaning toward the 17", and it has nothing to do with the ridiculous comments on various types of envy. I don't subscribe to various ideas that my laptop is an extension of myself. As much as I appreciate your answers and willingness to help, I would hope that we could keep this thread on a mature level.

I like the 17 for the screen and the wide look.

I like the 15 for the mainstream form factor.

I guess I was wondering if those with 17" PBs have anything negative to say about them. As far as the 15", is there really any reason to choose them over the 17"?
  • Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:

The only beef I had with the previous 17 was that the 15 screen was much brighter and had greater color saturation.

Now, with such high resolution, color saturation, and brightness, I think the 17 is looking better every day. I went to the Apple store yesterday and I think the 17 does not look much larger, but viewing items on the screen was much more impressive on the 17. As the gentlemen said above, the built-in factor increases the value of the screen.

Also, this will be my only computer. I need a portable desktop replacement.

I was wondering if the slight increase in size is actually that much of a hassle when traveling. Anyone with a 17" have issues with this?

I should have started out this thread saying I am leaning toward the 17", and it has nothing to do with the ridiculous comments on various types of envy. I don't subscribe to various ideas that my laptop is an extension of myself. As much as I appreciate your answers and willingness to help, I would hope that we could keep this thread on a mature level.

I like the 17 for the screen and the wide look.

I like the 15 for the mainstream form factor.

I guess I was wondering if those with 17" PBs have anything negative to say about them. As far as the 15", is there really any reason to choose them over the 17"?

I have never had a problem traveling to<->from work with mine. A 15" and 17" laptop bag aren't that big of a difference size-wise, and it only weighs a couple pounds more.

Unless you ride a bicycle to work, I don't think you'll see much of a difference in portability. :P

- Xidius
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

As far as the 15", is there really any reason to choose them over the 17"?

Travelling with the 17" is not an issue, but if you take it with you every day for work, then it may become an issue. This is purely subjective. There are many that do not tolerate even a 15" for daily carrying around and opt for a 12" model. Others find the 17" quite comfortable on their back or shoulder. It is up to you to think about this and make a decision. Personally I love bigger screens, as they are more easy to the eyes, and if this is your priority, then the choice is obvious.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    You're on the money here. When I used to bicycle commute, even a 12" to me was a bit of work. When you're carrying other gear, clothes, possibly a pannier or two, it feels like you're carrying your entire household. Not fun. I stopped using a shoulder bag and that helps immensely, but then you have some sweat issues .

Now, though, I'm glad to move back to a 15" for the exponential (well, OK that's stretching it) increase in built-in real estate and relative speed, capacity, ad infinitum. Definitely still portable, but not cumbersome.

Now, if I could only get some exercise again?

Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Travelling with the 17" is not an issue, but if you take it with you every day for work, then it may become an issue. This is purely subjective. There are many that do not tolerate even a 15" for daily carrying around and opt for a 12" model. Others find the 17" quite comfortable on their back or shoulder. It is up to you to think about this and make a decision. Personally I love bigger screens, as they are more easy to the eyes, and if this is your priority, then the choice is obvious.

• Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Don't forget that you can also hook it up to a monitor when at home/work...17" just seems so damn bulky.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by iomatic

Now, though, I'm glad to move back to a 15" for the exponential (well, OK that's stretching it) increase in built-in real estate and relative speed, capacity, ad infinitum. Definitely still portable, but not cumbersome.

You guys are spoiled. I have a 10lb HP lapyacht. HP ices the cake by supplying a stupidly huge power supply along with it, and it probably tacks up the aggregate weight to 12lbs. (it is owned by the company, so yes, I wasn't responsible for buying it). Carrying it from the desk to the trunk of a car is about as far as it can go.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    awillawill Posts: 43member
    I have a 17" and carry it everyday to work and home. It never seems to bulky or to big. I use it for graphic and web design and love the size. I think it all has to do with personal preference. If you have a nice backpack or carrying case you won't even realize a difference until people start commenting on how nice your laptop is. It can really turn heads.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

You guys are spoiled. I have a 10lb HP lapyacht. HP ices the cake by supplying a stupidly huge power supply along with it, and it probably tacks up the aggregate weight to 12lbs. (it is owned by the company, so yes, I wasn't responsible for buying it). Carrying it from the desk to the trunk of a car is about as far as it can go.

Yeah, I have seen such a power brick. I could not believe it was made for a laptop.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The only concern (which it sounds like you wouldn't have) is if you fly much. In my air travels, my 15" Titanium and later Aluminum fit just right on the fold down tray. The 17" model definitely wouldn't have fit. Your only remedies would've been to hope you had an understanding next seat neighbor, fly first class or, try to use it directly on your lap but your neck might not like you after a few hours of this.

So, if you find yourself flying coach often, a 17" PB would be more difficult to use compared to a 15" PB. Other than that it's really all up to you and how much screen you want to carry around.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have a 17 pb and when flying I don't use the tray. Twice I have had the jerk in front of me adjust their seat so fast that it knocked the pb off the tray. This would have happened with any size pb. To me the size of the pb should be determined by how you work.

1. If you have lots of things you need to have open at one time and not in the dock.

2. Or you store tons of folders on your desktop.

3. Or you don't like palettes over your work area.

4. Or if you have the extra cash

go with the 17.

reg
  • Reply 18 of 30
    I didn't want to start a new thread so I am adding on to this one. I am going to be definitely buying a new laptop in the next week.

Here's my question which laptop do you think is better? I would be fine with the ibook but is it going to perform tasks well? Here's my two laptops:

14" new ibook - I would get the 80 GB hard drive and 1 GB of Ram. If I get this do you think it is worth it to max out the ram?

I would be doing some editing on Final Cut Pro and some Dreamweaver as well. I also use Final Draft for screenwriting.

OR

15" Powerbook - I was thinking of getting the last generation which they are selling on the Apple website for $1599. If I got this one, I don't think I have the ability to add Ram through the apple store, etc. Is it easy to add the memory yourself or do you think that is something I should have someone at apple do (which would then convince me to get the ibook since you can build it to your specs).

Thanks for your help!

Chappy
  • Reply 19 of 30
    That 15" Powerbook is a refurb. I don't know if that should make any difference in my choice. Thanks again!
  • Reply 20 of 30
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The refurb unit carries the same warranty as a new unit and you can purchase AppleCare to cover it for 3 years as well.

I would go with a PowerBook over an iBook because of the higher-res screen, screen spanning, etc. You'll also get a better video card as well.

If you want to max out RAM, don't buy from Apple, their RAM costs about twice as much as RAM from other respectable sources. Check out Crucial.com they're highly regarded (as well as the last US-based RAM manufacturer, they are the online sales site for Micron). You could always check out dealram.com or newegg.com for lower prices too.

You only need to remove 4 screws to get to the RAM compartment, so it's an easy job. Just make sure to get the correct RAM for your computer. You'll need a small Philips head screwdriver to remove the screws (00 size I believe).