'iPhone' Mock-Up

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was bored over the weekend and decided to mock up a potential 'iPhone'. Here are the results:

Please let me know what you think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 118
    That is really cool. I think the black one looks very fake though.
  • Reply 2 of 118
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm sorry but having a drastically different top shape than bottom shape just makes it ugly to me.
  • Reply 3 of 118
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Interesting take on the number pad - takes up much less space.

If your screen is touch-sensitive, then there's no need for a click-wheel. I say lose the wheel, but having the wheel instead of a touch-screen is more realistic.
  • Reply 4 of 118
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Ergonomic and UI nightmare
  • Reply 5 of 118
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    pretty nice mockup... only.. i don't think that the iPhone would have a click wheel.. it would be a pain in the ass to use it....

and i now the feeling of boredom...

so, what would be a new product with out a proper keynote/presentation?

here's the invitation.

• Reply 6 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

The return of the phone booth, the Apple way. Stylish, $1/min and can only call other Apple phone booths.

(Well, at least if we were still in 1995...)
  • Reply 7 of 118
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Looks nice but the function is well, not very functional. A big scroll wheel? For what? Number off centered and on a touch screen? Huh? Phones are well, for dialing. You need to be able to press buttons, on a phone that's a keypad.

Look at the Sony w850 if you want inspiration.
  • Reply 8 of 118
    How about lose the number pad and integrate the numbers into the click wheel?

It would look kind of like an old rotary phone!
  • Reply 9 of 118
    b3njb3nj Posts: 70member
    today i was watching some commercials (didn't felt like switching channels) and saw this phona at a commercial.

Nec 343i

I think it looks like apple made it.
  • Reply 10 of 118
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Apple should bypass the cellular crap and produce a WiFi VOIP phone. Mockup's OK but I don't care for the round bottom either.
  • Reply 11 of 118
    it'd be a little tough to hold and dial with one hand, being rounded at the bottom and all.

I'm sure that if Apple came out with a phone, it'd be something that we haven't thought about. There is more to success in an Apple mobile phone than just the brand itself.

It needs to be innovative, intuitive and beautiful, a couple things this mock up lacks. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm just trying to be realistic.
  • Reply 12 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

...cellular crap...

Is it really so bad in US?
  • Reply 13 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Is it really so bad in US?

No, I still lug around my hella thick Nokia i7800, but as we are expecting of Apple to come out with some "Ooh, Lala" devices, they should produce a WiFi VOIP phone.
  • Reply 14 of 118
    How can the dock port be on the rounded side???
  • Reply 15 of 118
    mellomello Posts: 555member

Here is my idea for the iPod phone. Nano size except that it's an extra inch

taller & a couple millimeters thicker. iPod on front, cellphone on back with

lazer etched buttons like the motorola razor. No camera. If you want pics on

it you can upload pics from iPhoto. There is so much crap on my cell that I

never use now.

Simplicity in design.

ps. The game Time Pilot would be perfect to control with the scroll wheel.

• Reply 16 of 118
    I don't really like the two sided idea. It's not that simple...It'd be kinda awkward.
  • Reply 17 of 118
    Actually the scroll wheel is a great idea - most of the time when people make phone calls it isn't by dialing the number out it's by going into your contacts and finding a number. Also people love the scroll/click wheel. I think it's a really great idea, I would buy one - in black of course.
  • Reply 18 of 118
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PeePeeSee

Actually the scroll wheel is a great idea - most of the time when people make phone calls it isn't by dialing the number out it's by going into your contacts and finding a number. Also people love the scroll/click wheel. I think it's a really great idea, I would buy one - in black of course.

True. I seldom use the keypad for entering a phone number - only to add a new number to my contacts.

What I do use it for is text messaging. And in these designs for an iPhone, everyone always forgets it needs a system for text entry. The keypad works because predictive text can be quite efficient once you're used to it. Scrolling through letters on the wheel would take a lot longer and would drive me mad. An onscreen keypad would be ok, but I'd rather not have to use a stylus with my phone.

Amorya
  • Reply 19 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

No camera. If you want pics on it you can upload pics from iPhoto. There is so much crap on my cell that I never use now.

Simplicity in design.

Agree with you about all the crappy unnecessary features: the purpose of a camera to take photos with cellphones is indeed pretty ridiculous. But you need a camera lens on top in order to make videocalls (think 3G, 3.5G and 4G high speed mobile networks, not just the old GSM). Apple has all technologies to make it possible: add Airport to the phone, so it doesn't use mobile operators' networks when a free wifi network is available (or your own private wifi network at home btw) and it automatically switch to free VoIP. With mobile iChat/QuickTime and H.264/3GPP, you can make simple and good quality videoconference, anywhere. Make it looking good with a cool clickwheeled iPodish design, and eventually add compatibility with Skype and Google Talk. We would have a winner, very different compared to all these Moto, Samsung, Sony-Ericsson, Nokia, etc.
  • Reply 20 of 118
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by b3nj

so, what would be a new product with out a proper keynote/presentation?

here's the invitation.

January 11th on the invitation? When is MWSF 2006, thats usually in early January.