Comments

• Reply 101 of 118
    Is this the end of flip phones?
  • Reply 102 of 118
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

Ya! Actually no, it's not the end of them, just the end of their popularity.
  • Reply 103 of 118
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThinkingDifferent

I just doubt Apple would make a phone with that form factor, as the hinge makes up a large part of any flip phone, and if it's a small hinge, it's more likely to wear out and break.

Just think a la iPod - no screws or mechanical parts are visible, just a smooth consistent outer casing. I reckon they would want to do this a phone if they made one. Having said that my concept may be out the window as well.
  • Reply 104 of 118
    I agree, no fiddely bits. Go on finish the other one!
  • Reply 105 of 118
    Is this what you mean?

• Reply 106 of 118
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    apple would never make two overlapping input methods
  • Reply 107 of 118
    As in the scroll wheel and the keypad? The scroll wheel in itself is two overlapping input methods. The phone would have three
  • Reply 108 of 118
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
  • Reply 109 of 118
    here's my written mock-up: when the touch screen ipod (AKA real video ipod) comes along we'll have no need for physical buttons.

want to use ipod, use touch screen clickwheel.

want to use iphone, use touch screen dialpad (sorta like Treos)
  • Reply 110 of 118
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

here's my written mock-up: when the touch screen ipod (AKA real video ipod) comes along we'll have no need for physical buttons.

want to use ipod, use touch screen clickwheel.

want to use iphone, use touch screen dialpad (sorta like Treos)

I don't know if apple would make their phone completely touch-screen. It just doesn't seem like something apple would do. Phones are chucked around much more than iPod's, and thus need to be tougher and more rugged.
  • Reply 111 of 118
    Well a solid rectangular shape and a screen on one side would be amazing if they could make the touch sensitivity rugged. Sort of like the "true video ipod" fakes, just in cellphone proportions, i.e. less than 6 inches long and less than 2 inches wide. This design would be unbelievably minimal yet very functional, so Apple imo, they don't like using lots of buttons like other electronics manufacturers do *cough* Sony *cough*

I would buy that definitely, it would also be one of a kind as far as I know.
  • Reply 112 of 118
    I did a little pencil work. I've no Photoshop etc.

Could someone take a stab at doing one of these mock-ups ala photoshop. (preferably the one on the right, but whatever you want)

• Reply 113 of 118
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    So there are two schools of thought. Physical input, in other words having the buttons and wheel still plastic, and physically there. OR, as we know, perhaps the whole face of the iPod will become a touch-sensitive screen. Thus, video can be bigger, and interface elements bigger. Perhaps physical buttons to toggle between phone, iPod, and something else, like video or something, function. Or maybe on the side.

I like both and as much as I think the touch-screen idea is better in the long run, it probably won't be around for a few years, due to cost and design required. But eventually that's the direction everything is headed.

HOWEVER: mattyj those are nice designs. You should apply to work at Apple! I'd but that one that slides out now. The other one I'm not clear on: are those overlapping interfaces physical or touchscreen? Perhaps I'd buy those too...I'd buy either one.

Apple needs to make a phone or the iPod will die. Within a few years. Phones are not there yet, but a few have hard drives. Once they all do in a year or two, Apple will be in trouble. They better get on the stick and not fall behind, and get to engineering some time this year. Or they'll have on their hands the success of the Walkman...but will fall behind and the next gen, the Discman, will belong to Nokia or some cell company.

It's simple really. People only want one thing in their pocket. That'll never change. I hate just having my phone and wallet. Maybe an iWallet/Phone/Pod...
  • Reply 114 of 118
    Aquatic, I definitely agree with you on the multi purpose use of a phone, as soon as phones start to use 4GB HDs or a similar amount of flash memory on a large scale, people may start replacing their iPods with them. Most people are not audiophiles, and just want a portable music player that can hold a lot of songs - and phones are beginning to add these features.

The reason why I made my mockup as a slide phone is to fully separate the functionality: when closed, it would perform like any other ipod, complete with all the settings etc. When opened it turns into a phone, simple.

Glad you like my designs btw!

The other design could be touch sensitive buttons (like the second generation iPod) with a slider at the side like the iPod has to lock the buttons and unlock them, but instead of just locking the buttons and unlocking them, the options could be "music" "lock" and "phone".
  • Reply 115 of 118
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    I agree with Apple getting on the stick with developing an iPod/iPhone thingy. Have you seen the Verizon National ad campaign for their music phone. Looks surprisingly like an Apple ad. People all dancing with their earphones stuck in their ears. Oh yah! don't forget to download your music from their web site. Cummon Apple, better get with it.
  • Reply 116 of 118
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It's exactly the two button mouse thing. All I can say is get over it. People want two in one. Sure it's not as elegant or Zen interface as Steve wants it...but the rest of the world doesn't want a phone and an iPod in their pocket if they can have two in one package. It's far more simple than it is made out to be.

Hopefully they don't fuck up.
  • Reply 117 of 118
    I showed thsee to some of my friends and they were like "OMFG i want that...and that...and that one too!"
  • Reply 118 of 118
    Will this phone have an antenna? Also, what would the battery life be on an iPod phone?