Nvidia 7800 GT and Power Mac G5 Quad in final testing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

One thing I'm wondering about, as I'm planning to get the Quad with the 7800 in Jan, is which chips are they using for the memory. I hope it's 2 512 chips. You know, they might just put 4 256's in. I wouldn't want that. I really want 4 GB's, but I didn't want to pay Apple $700 for it.

This is kind of screwy. I can't buy 3GB prpperly if they supply 1GB. I hate to throw it out, and I hate (well, I really don't HATE it, but...) to buy 2GB for $300.

DDR2 RAM prices are falling faster than DDR prices are, so maybe by Jan the prices will be lower.

But this leaves $500 for the board upgrade. More than I thought it would be. This board only goes for $425 or so. This is really too much considering that it replaces a board that we were being charged for already. So that makes it $600. Too much it seems.

Unless Apple is also giving a larger HD. Maybe a 400GB. But I don't see anything about that.

The web site now offers the 7800 upgrade for $350 which is at the low side of my original estimate. That's very good.

But this configuration doesn't make sense. With the 1Gig upgrade ($200) and the board upgrade ($350), I get a total of $3,850.

So where is the extra $150?

each extra $150 goes to 100 feet of jet fuel for steve's plane (haven't done the math, my sister-in-law works for shell aviation so maybe i should ask her about private jet fuel costs)

seriously though, i'm sure that will be covered in some other "component" cost eg. hard disk 10,000rpm or somefin' when you compare it to BTO options.

i strongly doubt that apple will supply 4x256mb ddr2 sticks. 2x512mb is more likely. so yeah that would mean you'd be able to add your 6x512mb to bring it to 4gb total quite easily... but yeah given that it ships with 2x256mb ddr2, hmmm....
  • Reply 22 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

each extra $150 goes to 100 feet of jet fuel for steve's plane (haven't done the math, my sister-in-law works for shell aviation so maybe i should ask her about private jet fuel costs)

seriously though, i'm sure that will be covered in some other "component" cost eg. hard disk 10,000rpm or somefin' when you compare it to BTO options.

i strongly doubt that apple will supply 4x256mb ddr2 sticks. 2x512mb is more likely. so yeah that would mean you'd be able to add your 6x512mb to bring it to 4gb total quite easily... but yeah given that it ships with 2x256mb ddr2, hmmm....

Yeah sunil, but who wants to use 6 512 sticks? 4 1GB sticks is more like it. But $200 for 1GB is a bit much, don't you think? $300 is a better deal for 2GB, though still too much.

I can't understand their pricing scheme. Look at this.

512MB standard

1GB $200

2GB $300 either 4 512MB or 2 1GB sticks

4GB $700 either 8 512MB or 4 1GB sticks

8GB $1500 8 1GB sticks

So, we're being charged $100 for 512MB RAM to start.

Another $100 to get another 512MB to 1GB.

Then $100 for another 1GB to get to 2GB- sounds better.

Then $400 more for another 2GB to get to 4GB. Price went up per GB again.

Then $800 more for for another 4GB to get to 8GB.

It's slightly odd.

Why charge more for the first and second 512MB, then less for the 2nd GB, then more for the next 2 GB, then the same for the next 4GB?

In case that's confusing, I'm refering to price per GB.

And why would anybody WANT 4 or 8 512MB sticks anyway?

Oh, almost forgot. I don't think we can get a 10,000rpm S-ATA drive. Can we?
  • Reply 23 of 49
    *sigh* yeah i don't think what apple does always makes sense \ a 10,000 rpm sata is possible if it is the Ultimate Quad. they might keep it at 7,200 rpm though and bump the size to 400 or 500 gigs. but who bloody knows with apple nowadays......

edit: 10,000rpm sata is unlikely.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

*sigh* yeah i don't think what apple does always makes sense \ a 10,000 rpm sata is possible if it is the Ultimate Quad. they might keep it at 7,200 rpm though and bump the size to 400 or 500 gigs. but who bloody knows with apple nowadays......

edit: 10,000rpm sata is unlikely.

Well, what I meant was, is there a 10,000SATA drive available?

I remember hearing about it being done, but I've never seen nor read about one actually being up for sale.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    quite a few listed on froogle
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

quite a few listed on froogle

Ok, now I'm lost. What the hell is froogle? Is this something out of your sick and twisted mind?
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

Ok, now I'm lost. What the hell is froogle? Is this something out of your sick and twisted mind?

wha... what sick and twisted mind?

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle
  • Reply 28 of 49
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:

I don't know the noise level, but it uses 10Amps max.It has a 16A cord and socket. The skngle chip models use much less and come with the old electricals.

A single core G5FX uses about 70 watts. A new G5MP. Uses, according to IBM, 100 watts max. An inprovement.

Why is this so important?

If you make the calculations, you end up with about 1,250 Watts. That is a heater and probably quite noisy. I would like a machine as quiet as possible and requiring as less power as possible. For comparisons, the maximum continuous power of the iMac G5 is 180W (http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html).

That is not specified for the PowerMac G5 (http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html):

Electrical and environmental requirements

Line voltage: 100 - 125V AC or 200 - 240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage)

Maximum current: At least 10A (low-voltage range) or 5A (high-voltage range)

Thus, 125 V x 10 A = 1,250 W

So where does all that power go? If each dual core G5 takes 100 W and the nVidia card takes another 100 W, that would mean 300 W for the Quad PowerMac G5 plus some extras for hard disks, etc (say, a total of 400 W). So where go the extra 850 W?

Or is it that the Quad PowerMac G5 just takes about 400 W instead of the 1,250 W calculated above? I would purchase it if consuming about 400 W but not if consuming 1,250 W.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    dude, obviously it won't be drawing 10Amps, that's the maximum the cable is rated for... edit: 400W sounds sensible, thats 3.2A @ 125V and 1.67A @ 240V
  • Reply 30 of 49
    Has anyone who received a new PowerMac G5 opened it up to see what the power supply is rated at?

The rating on the web site appears to be for "maximum current". For example, it's possible it might suck that much power for a brief moment when you hit the power button to turn it on. Judging by the power usage of previous PowerMac G5's, I would guess that it would "normally" be in the 250-450 watt range for the quad.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

A single core G5FX uses about 70 watts. A new G5MP. Uses, according to IBM, 100 watts max. An inprovement.

Why is this so important?

For one, it costs money to operate, and generates a lot of heat, less for the new duals, but still more if you go for the quad.

Another, greater concern for me is the noise, though I don't think I am seriously considering a new computer anyway. I think the dual 2.5 is pretty loud when not idling, and the fans are IMO needlessly high in pitch when it does spin into high flow. My bet is that a quad is going to be worse unless they use better fans.

Quote:

Well, what I meant was, is there a 10,000SATA drive available?

I remember hearing about it being done, but I've never seen nor read about one actually being up for sale.

Western Digital has a line of Raptors, which are 10k drives for ATA-1xx or SATA. They are expensive, though last I checked, are a bit cheaper than their SCSI counterparts.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Looks like it's already available as a $350 BTO option at apple.com
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Originally posted by Robin Hood

...The rating on the web site appears to be for "maximum current". For example, it's possible it might suck that much power for a brief moment when you hit the power button to turn it on. Judging by the power usage of previous PowerMac G5's, I would guess that it would "normally" be in the 250-450 watt range for the quad.

that's what i was thinking. maybe they had to rate the Quad package including cable at 10A for "overhead" due to spikes, etc etc... \ i estimate 350W on average load, 500W at the very max. even hardcore PC rigs don't push past 500W unless you have some serious serious hardware
  • Reply 34 of 49
    Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge

Looks like it's already available as a $350 BTO option at apple.com

nice. some configs here (USD) ... note the 7800gt pushes back your order to 6-8 weeks .. edit: actually, the street price of a 7800gt for pc is around $400 or over. so hey, not bad apple, offerin' it for $350. i bet you nVidia really wanted to get the 7800gt into mac users hands though, particularly a few months ahead of ati's x1800/ x1600 line. right now, nVidia owns the new powermac g5 line.

Not-Quite-Ultimate Quad

Subtotal \t$3,848.00

Estimated Ship:

6-8 weeks

Free Shipping

* 2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5

* 1GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 2x512

* 250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB SDRAM

* AirPort Extreme + Bluetooth built-in

* 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

* Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English

* Mac OS X - U.S. English

* Accessory kit

TeraByte 7800GT Quad

Subtotal \t$4,723.00

Estimated Ship:

6-8 weeks

Free Shipping

* 1GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 2x512

* 2x500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm

* NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256 MB SDRAM

* Accessory kit

Quad To The Maxx

Subtotal \t$17,823.00

Estimated Ship:

3-4 weeks

Free Shipping

* 16GB 533 DDR2 ECC SDRAM- 8x2GB

* QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM

* Accessory kit
  • Reply 35 of 49
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Quad To The Maxx

Subtotal \t$17,823.00

Estimated Ship:

3-4 weeks

Free Shipping

* 16GB 533 DDR2 ECC SDRAM- 8x2GB

* QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM

* Accessory kit [/B]

Wow! that's sweet!

Too bad the price.

You can get this system cheaper if you buy RAM outside Apple for one. Plus you can save some more buying the HD outside too. But, I guess when you have cash to burn on a system like that you might not care to save few hundred dollars.
  • Reply 36 of 49
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

You can get this system cheaper if you buy RAM outside Apple for one.

Don't be so sure! Apple charges $9500 to get 16GB non-ecc ram. The same ram from crucial is $9741!
  • Reply 37 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fluffy

Don't be so sure! Apple charges $9500 to get 16GB non-ecc ram. The same ram from crucial is $9741!

Kingston quoted me $8800 for 16GB of ECC, $8400 for 16GB non-ECC.

To fill all slots with 1GB modules (8GB), that would be $1600 for ECC, $1300 for non-ECC.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Thanks JeffDM for proving my point.

I can find 1GB modules that would be $99 each. So 8 gigs would be lass than $800.

Check this place:

www.macsales.com

I am pretty sure crucial.com and datamem.com the prices range from $99 to $120 for 1gig sticks.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    If you check out

http://www.pricegrabber.com/

you will see that Apple Store charges twice or more for the current price of RAM and hard disks. Amazing but true.

You can save A LOT not purchasing them from Apple.

You could even save a lot more not purchasing the Mac from Apple, but that is not possible for the moment (no Mac clones). A shame!
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

wha... what sick and twisted mind?

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...Search+Froogle

Well, you may be sick and twisted, but you're right!

Small drives though.