Nvidia 7800 GT and Power Mac G5 Quad in final testing

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zunx

If you make the calculations, you end up with about 1,250 Watts. That is a heater and probably quite noisy. I would like a machine as quiet as possible and requiring as less power as possible. For comparisons, the maximum continuous power of the iMac G5 is 180W (http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html).

That is not specified for the PowerMac G5 (http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html):

Electrical and environmental requirements

Line voltage: 100 - 125V AC or 200 - 240V AC (wide-range power supply input voltage)

Maximum current: At least 10A (low-voltage range) or 5A (high-voltage range)

Thus, 125 V x 10 A = 1,250 W

So where does all that power go? If each dual core G5 takes 100 W and the nVidia card takes another 100 W, that would mean 300 W for the Quad PowerMac G5 plus some extras for hard disks, etc (say, a total of 400 W). So where go the extra 850 W?

Or is it that the Quad PowerMac G5 just takes about 400 W instead of the 1,250 W calculated above? I would purchase it if consuming about 400 W but not if consuming 1,250 W.

That's max draw. It won't be used all of the time. It includes the highest power graphics card possible, which can be 150W. It also includes both drive bays occupied with the largest power hungry drives possibe. 16GB RAM, and all three empty slots filled with boards drawing full power. Firewire connectors using bus powered equipment. Same for the USB bus.

This also assumes that you are doing a render using a program needing all four cpu's at once with full utilization of all functions of the machime at once, HD's, Video, RAM, etc.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Well, you may be sick and twisted, but you're right!

Small drives though.

I thought there were 140GB 10k RPM SATA drives too, but I can't find them.

The drives are fine as a system drive. I boot my workstations on a small, fast drive and keep my apps there too. I keep my data on large, slower drives. The OS boots quickly and apps start up quickly too. It's nice but a luxury for me, though I tend to buy computers off-lease so I get pretty sweet workstations for pretty cheap.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zunx

.....You could even save a lot more not purchasing the Mac from Apple, but that is not possible for the moment (no Mac clones). A shame!

heh.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member

"AppleInsiders' Value Special Quad"

(based on forum member recommendations)

nVidia 7800GT, 8.5GB ram, Four 2.5ghz g5 cores

10000rpm sata system drive + 7200rpm sata 250gb data drive

16x superdrive, 802.11g, bluetooth

3 Year applecare

from apple: $3,997.00 (package with 256mb ram x2)

from dealram.com: 4x2gb quad-spec-certified transcend memory (nonECC): $1836.00

plus jeffDM's superfast system disk: $120

(Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB SATA 10000 rpm 8MB)

your kickass AppleInsiders' Value Special Quad system total:

$5953.00 USD

• Reply 45 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

"AppleInsiders' Value Special Quad"

(based on forum member recommendations)

nVidia 7800GT, 8.5GB ram, Four 2.5ghz g5 cores

10000rpm sata system drive + 7200rpm sata 250gb data drive

16x superdrive, 802.11g, bluetooth

3 Year applecare

from apple: $3,997.00 (package with 256mb ram x2)

from dealram.com: 4x2gb quad-spec-certified transcend memory (nonECC): $1836.00

plus jeffDM's superfast system disk: $120

(Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB SATA 10000 rpm 8MB)

your kickass AppleInsiders' Value Special Quad system total:

$5953.00 USD

Actually, that's not bad.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

I thought there were 140GB 10k RPM SATA drives too, but I can't find them.

The drives are fine as a system drive. I boot my workstations on a small, fast drive and keep my apps there too. I keep my data on large, slower drives. The OS boots quickly and apps start up quickly too. It's nice but a luxury for me, though I tend to buy computers off-lease so I get pretty sweet workstations for pretty cheap.

Exactly, small high RPM HD's are the way to go for system drives, 2 HD's, RAID 0, SCSI (if you want 15K HD's, and Atto just announced a PCI-e host adapter, their 4 series supports OSX/Linux/Windoze, no reason not to expect OSX support on these puppies (since they were (I believe) originally a Mac vendor to begin with (see http://www.attotech.com/press/UL5D10.05.html for the PR on the PCI-e host adapter)), that's what I'd do with this uberMac! If you want to bring out every last ms of speed from your system. External FW800 4-bay enclosure with 4-500GB drives (2TB, woo-hoo) for data storage. Yes, I dreaming, but maybe someday.

EDIT - On second thought, I'd have a dual boot setup with OSX on one HD and Yellow Dog HPC Linux on the other, 36GB (or 73GB, you'll need enough space for the swap file (i. e. 16GB) plus some other stuff) 15K U320 SCSI HD's, IBM XL 64-bit Linux Fortran compiler. This would be a Fortran geek's (your's truly) wet dream!

DOUBLE EDIT - In fact I just found the Atto PR for the OSX version of the PCI-e host adapter (see http://www.attotech.com/press/UL5DApple10.05.html ). mikenap, those SATA host adapters look VERY interesting (especially the 4-port external host adapter with 1.5GB/s/port bandwidth (if I understand correctly)) from Firmtek (although their PCI-X), makes me wonder if/when PCI-e SATA host adapters (or SATA II for that matter) for OSX will be available, anyone heard any rumors or have a head's up on this one?

TRIPLE EDIT (Shi'ite, I'm losing it!) - Looking at the potential of this uberMac and back the past month at all the other Apple product announcements, I must say that CIJ was correct when he said "a lot of new things in the pipeline" at Apple Expo back in September, RDF notwithstanding!

• Reply 47 of 49
    My main workstation at my printshop is configured this way, and the diference in PS speed is amazing. Here's my setup:

Dual 2.7, 4.5 Ram

Boot: Raptor 10K 72gig (system, fonts, apps)

"Work" drive. External Firmtek Serial ATA Raid inclusure with 2 300gig Maxtor Maxline 3 drives, 16 meg cache, hooked to an internal Firmtek 4 port SATA card.

Internal 400 gig backup drive.

I set Photoshop to use the RAID 0 and the boot drive, then thirdly the backup as scratch.

works so well on big files!
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikenap

My main workstation at my printshop is configured this way, and the diference in PS speed is amazing. Here's my setup:

Dual 2.7, 4.5 Ram

Boot: Raptor 10K 72gig (system, fonts, apps)

"Work" drive. External Firmtek Serial ATA Raid inclusure with 2 300gig Maxtor Maxline 3 drives, 16 meg cache, hooked to an internal Firmtek 4 port SATA card.

Internal 400 gig backup drive.

I set Photoshop to use the RAID 0 and the boot drive, then thirdly the backup as scratch.

works so well on big files!

See my previous post above for a comment on the Firmtek stuff (sorry for not posting in sequence).

• Reply 49 of 49
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Nice to see Allen Hastings writing some really nice software for the Mac. I've used his software since back in the Amiga's Videoscape 3D days which was a great product.

Ahh, I hadn't made the connection... thanks for that blast from the past.