R.I.P. Macintosh???

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    -At least one Mac that had the suffix "Power" did not have a PPC chip in it.

-Most of Apples offerings today (the best selling ones) don´t have the "Power" suffix and have PPC chips in them.

"Power" today has as much to do with PPC as the "i" in iPod has to do with the internet.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Like they did with the POWER Mac which was based on the POWER PC chip?

When they made up that name (probably leveraging the success of the powerbook whose moniker predates the PPC) they did want to emphasize the great powerful chip they were using.

These days, they don't. They're going to use the exact same chip that Dell, Lenovo and HP are using in their computers. They have no bragging rights here. The message they want to send is "we pick the parts, you just get the computer and you don't need to care what's in it."
  • Reply 43 of 63
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by imiloa

i can see them changing or dropping "power" from the pro models. given that power is a common noun, there's no need to. but obviously the name directly relates to the PPC architecture.

Does it? As Henriok pointed out (slightly wrong), there were Powerbooks before PowerPC. A lot of them, in fact. I count eighteen separate models using 68000-family processors (not including monochome/color display variations). And of course, there are the current PPC-equipped Macs. Neither the iMac, Mac Mini nor iBook use the prefix "Power-" despite the fact that they do all have PowerPC CPUs. Which pretty much blows away the contention that Power- automatically means PowerPC-equipped.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    IBM developed their own RISC cpu architecture, called POWER (Power Optimisation With Enhanced RISC) for use in its servers and mainframes. To move in to other markets, it teamed up with Motorola and Apple to produce a derivation of this, called PowerPC, or PPC. These were to be used in Apple computers, and for embedded use, as Motorola has done, and in IBM workstations.

This is where the PowerPC came from, about which time Apple adopted the PowerMac name.

If the Macintosh name, which I think originated with Jef Raskin were to be superceded, then perhaps if Jonathan Ive has his fingerprint upon a new design, it should be called a Power Jonathan.

I like the name Macintosh, may it live long.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Power or Pro Macintosh sounds much better then Pro or Power Lisa
  • Reply 46 of 63
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NordicMan

This is where the PowerPC came from, about which time Apple adopted the PowerMac name.

"About which time"? Perhaps the mighty historian knows of a 680x0-based PowerMac or a PowerPC-based (non-Power) Macintosh from that era? Offhand, I'd say it was exactly the time Apple introduced the Power Macintosh name. March 1994 to be precise, when the 6100, 7100 and 8100 were unveiled to the public. I remember it well. Which still doesn't change the fact that four of today's PowerPC-based product lines (iBook, iMac, Mac Mini and XServe) don't carry the Power label. So PowerMac remains perfectly acceptable regardless of what processor is inside. It's easy to spell, easy to remember and gives an impression of, well, power. I don't think Apple's marketing department is anywhere near dumb enough to dump it and replace it with some silly, coined name like Inspiron, Presario, Qosmio, Tecra, XPS or even Vaio or a generically meaningless name like Dimension or Pavilion.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bobo28

Come On! APPLE = MACINTOSH : GET IT ? Apple, Steve Jobs, One of the greatest marketing successes in history .

Then why do so many people tell me "I though Apple went out of business, or just made those music things"

APPLE = iPod : SAD BUT TRUE.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Kolchak

[B]"About which time"? Perhaps the mighty historian knows of a 680x0-based PowerMac or a PowerPC-based (non-Power) Macintosh from that era? Offhand, I'd say it was exactly the time Apple introduced the Power Macintosh name. March 1994 to be precise, when the 6100, 7100 and 8100 were unveiled to the public. I remember it well.

Thank you, mighty nightstalker for your exactitude, I remember it now better. But,

I was thinking about the Macs then, and trying to remember the various models, and if there were a PowerMac other than the PPC. I was thinking about the 6400 and 6500, and thinking that there was a Performa that was virtually the same, which then was called a PowerMac, and the Quadra 900, which case was used for the 9500, I think, and trying to remember the models.

I also was referring to the fact that not long after this joint venture between IBM, Motorola, and Apple came to be, that that was the time when they started to call PowerMacs by the name.

Macintosh or Power Mac are both fine names.
  • Reply 49 of 63
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    There seems to be some confusion. Fact: the only "Power" machines that weren't PPCs were the original "PowerBooks", which had 68K processors in them. Murky opinion: I *think* the PPC transition was already underway, and the naming of these machines was done in accord with what Gerald Weinberg calls the "Bolden Rule". (Such as treeless real estate developments named "Rustling Pines").

None of which has anything to do with the "Mac" moniker going away, and the majority of us agree it won't.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by kresh

Then why do so many people tell me "I though Apple went out of business, or just made those music things"

APPLE = iPod : SAD BUT TRUE.

Good observation. The Apple Stores have helped a great deal, though, for people to see Macs.

It has been quite a while since Apple put the Macintosh line of computers, however their particular name is, more in to the public eye than in print, that is, on to a few televised ads.. I wish Apple would advertise their Macs to the culture at large in a more visible way.
  • Reply 51 of 63
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    just call it iPOD MAC.

OR, IPOD GINORMO!

• Reply 52 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by kresh

Then you should see some more informed people.

Its...
  • Reply 53 of 63
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

just call it iPOD MAC.

OR, IPOD GINORMO!

LOL

Yeah i've got a 2ghz 20" IPOD GINORMO on my desk right now!
  • Reply 54 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

LOL

Yeah i've got a 2ghz 20" IPOD GINORMO on my desk right now!

Was bedeudet GINORMO?
  • Reply 55 of 63
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I wonder if they might consider another Apple variety, like they did with the Pippin?

Introducing the Apple Granny Smith etc. etc.

Or they might go with 'Bad Apple'.

A cluster of Xserves could be referred to as an Orchard...
  • Reply 56 of 63
    How about the worm? oh no, that was another topic, sorry !
  • Reply 57 of 63
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    I Mac. I liked the Cube, but I called it a G4^3 and not a PowerMac G4 Cube. Maybe I just wanted to save bytes on my Apple.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Why not go with different fruits, like they go with different cats with the OS.

First generation Intels: Lemons
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Why not go with different fruits, like they go with different cats with the OS.

First generation Intels: Lemons

Apple is a great name for a computer company. It's the fruit of knowledge.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    For non-Americans, a "lemon" is used to denote products which are defective.

How about an Apple bundled with an email reader which is not elm ... a PineApple?

(edit) That kind of pun translates poorly. In French, you could sell an Apple of the Earth; in German, you could sell an Apple-sine or Orange (Apfelsine).