Steve Jobs to keynote Macworld San Francisco

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by baranovich

So Christmas is officially rescheduled for January 10, 2006.

http://joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/756.html
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Black is the new black. Ah, the irony...

...or beige, maybe?

Well...Apple did start with beige:

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/IIe.gif

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/III.gif

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/lisa.gif

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/128k.gif

Perhaps everything that is old will be new again.

• Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Hahaha, we are on the same page.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

I actually recently read a rumor that iWork may indeed be updated, and include a spreadsheet. That will be pretty much the end of AppleWorks.

Actually, I'd consider that to be AppleWorks X. However with Keynote, Pages and "Cells", they'd only be halfway there. They should add some kind of FileMaker Jr. database and drawing and painting apps and then they would have it!

Also, I see rumored elsewhere my invention of a combination of iPod, iSight, AirPort and QuickTime into an iPod-sized camcorder that can work like a portable videophone will come to fruition.

I'd like to see some new Macs that are more than speed bumps. I'm not so sure that I'm so concerned whether they are Intel or IBM (PowerPC) just as long as they are a big jump from today's offerings. I'd expect those to come from laptops.

The Mac mini can morph into yet another extraordinary thing.

At least, now I know when my next "sick day" is!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Catman4d2

Steve, Speaking with awe and reverence with a soft tone: "The new G5 powerbook,with Intel processors.......

Since a G5 PowerMac/Powerbook/iMac are named as such because they have a G5 processor, what do you think they'll call the new models, since it won't be run on a G5 anymore?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Unfiltered

Since a G5 PowerMac/Powerbook/iMac are named as such because they have a G5 processor, what do you think they'll call the new models, since it won't be run on a G5 anymore?

G5 is Apple's marketing name for a certain generation of PowerPC chips. It's have to apply to just PowerPC chips (though it might create confusion if they do try to apply it to the Intel-based products).
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

though it might create confusion if they do try to apply it to the Intel-based products.

We're on the same page, Chris.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Quote:

We're on the same page, Chris.

Maybe they will try to de-emphasize the chip per se and talk more in terms of a technology platform generation.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    iWork2 with complete open document format compatibility and default use with the exeption of some 3-d in keynote -- partnership with SUN on OO.o and all future iWork suits will work in tandom...and maybe a cross-platform open source version of iWork as a "OpenOffice Lite", what OO.o is to star office

Coming in the summer: ProWork -- Open Office built for OSX, with a sort of Apature-ish Apple Pro app UI, and a few bonus features that apple cooks up.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Maybe they will try to de-emphasize the chip per se and talk more in terms of a technology platform generation.

Maybe if we're really lucky, Apple will finally revert back to some kind of sane naming strategy, rather than calling all versions of a product the same (iMac G5 or PowerMac G5), then differentiating them in documentation with dates and features ("for a PowerMac G5 (Early 2005) model, ...", or "dual-USB iBook (early 2003)"). Its just ridiculous. Who remembers when the hell they bought their computer (OK, for some Mac users, its easy to remember, because they've got a big picture of themselves and their mac, framed on the wall, with the date and "Friends Forever" on a brass plaque attached to the frame, but besides them...). Especially since its not like they put this information anywhere on the computer.

Hey, and do you think we'll be lucky and the new Macs will be plastered with all those labels you see on PCs? "Intel Inside", "Designed for Mac OS X", plus the ones on the wrist wrests of the laptops!
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Hey, and do you think we'll be lucky and the new Macs will be plastered with all those labels you see on PCs? "Intel Inside", "Designed for Mac OS X", plus the ones on the wrist wrests of the laptops!

One can only hope.

• Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

iWork2 with complete open document format compatibility and default use with the exeption of some 3-d in keynote -- partnership with SUN on OO.o and all future iWork suits will work in tandom...and maybe a cross-platform open source version of iWork as a "OpenOffice Lite", what OO.o is to star office

Coming in the summer: ProWork -- Open Office built for OSX, with a sort of Apature-ish Apple Pro app UI, and a few bonus features that apple cooks up.

Why you've got your head in the 'smoke', so to speak, you might as well ask for a rewrite and return of Hypercard and Opendoc.

But that is funny, Apple using an Open document format rather then their own home-grown one.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

Why you've got your head in the 'smoke', so to speak, you might as well ask for a rewrite and return of Hypercard and Opendoc.

But that is funny, Apple using an Open document format rather then their own home-grown one.

Like iCal (iCalendar)? Mail (ordinary UNIX mail files)? Address Book (vCard)?

They do some.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Like iCal (iCalendar)? Mail (ordinary UNIX mail files)? Address Book (vCard)?

They do some.

Well, address book appears to store the files in a single database, and XML files for the spotlight caches. You can export vcard, but its not stored that way.

Mail WAS in standard UNIX mbox format, but they've changed it in 10.4 to store each message in a separate file (an emlx file). I don't know if this falls under a standard or not, but its not 'the' standard.

At least iCal does use ics files...
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

For simplicity's sake, they should call them G6. That way, if an app needs Intel they can say "G6 and above". Or "not G6 compatible" or whatever. Much easier for the layman who doesn't understand much about different chipsets and stuff.
  • Reply 36 of 44
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

What a ghastly thought - wash your mouth out right now!

Ah - that causes another shiver - the Apple "bong" changes to the Intel tune!

What horror!
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:

Well, address book appears to store the files in a single database, and XML files for the spotlight caches. You can export vcard, but its not stored that way.

I guess that is all that matters to me. How they store it internally is less relevant.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Quote:

Powerbook 360
  • Reply 40 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes I too hope they go with the G6 moniker. As for model names, yes something should perhaps be done, although on the other end of the spectrum was the mid 1990s with like 400 model names. I'm sure there is an approach that falls in between the two.