MSNBC.COM states No speed bumped Power Macs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>Seybold '99 anyone?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am thinking we may have a G3 to G4 situation here except it's G4 to G5.
  • Reply 21 of 75
    Look....I'm sure that nobody from a Microsoft company has any contacts deep enough inside Apple to have the slightest f*cking clue what they're planning to release at MWNY. Anyone who thinks there will be no PowerMac updates is completely nutz considering how much Apple is hyping.

-S
  • Reply 23 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>Look....I'm sure that nobody from a Microsoft company has any contacts deep enough inside Apple to have the slightest f*cking clue what they're planning to release at MWNY. Anyone who thinks there will be no PowerMac updates is completely nutz considering how much Apple is hyping.

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

And I am sure that neither does cNet, BusinessWeek, CNN, Forbes...yet we are all debating their stories as well regarding iMacs, iBooks, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    That's the exact same article from ZDNet. and we all know how much we trust them.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>Look....I'm sure that nobody from a Microsoft company has any contacts deep enough inside Apple to have the slightest f*cking clue what they're planning to release at MWNY. Anyone who thinks there will be no PowerMac updates is completely nutz considering how much Apple is hyping.

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's not an MSNBC article - it's from CNet (not quite sure if that's better though).
  • Reply 26 of 75
    [quote] Maybe Jobs plans on pulling a fast one like with the 500MHz debacle and the 667 & 733 debacle.<hr></blockquote>

There was no 7450 G4 "debacle". They shipped slightly before Jobs said they would. Nobody got screwed.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You folks are all sounding like it's some MS conspiracy, but what Apple needs right now is some lowered expectations about this MacWorld. These articles are doing just that. Apple's homepage is the problem.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>

There was no 7450 G4 "debacle". They shipped slightly before Jobs said they would. Nobody got screwed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Motoman himself said that the 667 & 733's were not qualified when Jobs announced them and the 733 shipped later than what Jobs said and the 667 barely shipped and then was cancelled.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    Microsoft is (or was) invested in C|Net. Billy even toured the studios a few years back and did not like what he saw... lots and lots of Macs around the place. Hmmmm...

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: apple.otaku ]</p>
  • Reply 29 of 75
    The other possibility is that Apple has been stockpiling faster chips, and is going to use the stockpile to release faster chips.

Or that Motorola has increased it's yields to higher levels.

I don't think we're out of the 1 GHz biz, yet.

SdC
  • Reply 31 of 75
    msleemslee Posts: 143member
    Dude, that story is from c|net, from this morning.

I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

if they were right could this mean that Apple has seen the writing on the wall and has decided to hold off on the PM until the G5?

If so, those who bought quicksilvers should feel pretty good about their purchase.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    this rumor is false.

if Apple had no plans of updating the Powermacs they would have slashed prices by now.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>I bet the Powermacs don't get updated until WWDC, maybe even MWNY. LOL, it would be so typical of Apple.... ...Job must be pissed as hell.

I bet all the hype over this new product is intended to divert attention away from how pathetic the CPU situation is at Apple.</strong><hr></blockquote>

JYD - Jobs is pissed while the Apple web site is hyping more than any other MW... That makes sense.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    It's not the same as the 500 MHz debacle. People NEVER got their 500 MHz powermacs during that fiasco.

Nobody got screwed with the 7450 G4 preannouncement. Jobs said they wouldn't ship until March, and that's when they shipped. I remember them shipping before Jobs said they would, but you could be right that they were a bit late, I don't honestly remember all that well. But if they were late, it was only by a week or two. That's not a very big deal, really. Hardly a "debacle".

And what does Motoman know? If he knows so much why isn't he here posting about it?
  • Reply 35 of 75
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>this rumor is false.

if Apple had no plans of updating the Powermacs they would have slashed prices by now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't it usually the other way around? Slash prices if new harware coming?
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Have no idea where Motoman is? Where is Eskimo?

Anyway, Motoman worked for Mot and was right on many many times.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I can't see them not updating the Power Macs unless they'll have a special event to introduce them in late January-early Feb.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    I'm not convinced of the MSNBC report. The stock is way down on nearly everything at Apple. I think we'll see revisions across the entire line in some way or another. Maybe even TiBooks! And I don't think a G5 is out of the question.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    The G4 733s that were late(r) were the SuperDrive equipped ones; it was the lack of SuperDrives that pushed back the ship dates.

Apple announced 733mhz/CD-RW G4s for $2999 on 03/08/01 (see <a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/mar/08pmg4.html"; target="_blank">press release</a>). Soon after, Apple discontinued the 667 because more were buying the dual-533s, and there were less 667s since the yields of the 733s were better than expected.

-------------

On topic:

If the above is true--perhaps all will be dual with updated guts (DDR, faster bus, yadda, yadda).

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]</p>
  • Reply 40 of 75
    What's the difference between the <a href="http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/taxonomy.jsp?nodeId=03M943030450467M98653"; target="_blank">7451 and the 7450</a>, anyway?

SdC