Google developing Google Earth for Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    All officially unofficially release in a beta form

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/20124
  • Reply 22 of 49
    why wont this work for me? i launch the app and it just bounces in the dock then disappears

is it only for 10.4 or somethin?

god damn i hate these companies...
  • Reply 23 of 49
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

why wont this work for me? i launch the app and it just bounces in the dock then disappears

is it only for 10.4 or somethin?

god damn i hate these companies...

I hate people that don't read the min. reqs on Macupdate:

Quote:

Requirements:

Mac OS X 10.4 or later.

• Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

He has always been watching. The change now is we get a rough idea of what he is seeing.

Of course we are not allowed to see Big Brother

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=white+...1018&t=k&hl=en

Gotta love how the censored what's on the roofs of the whitehouse and the buildings adjacent to it.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    get the tiger-beta

[edit]by looking somewhere else[/edit]

cheers

Anders edit: I am sure it is pretty easy to get the non-public beta if you want to. It just won´t happen at a public place like the forums of AI. So look elsewhere
  • Reply 26 of 49
    [Anders edit]Take a hint please. Obviously its easy to find the beta but we are not gonna be used for that okay? [/Anders edit]

It worked fine on first launch on my new Hi-Res 15" PowerBook (2GB RAM, 7200 rpm hard drive).

It's a little choppy and image refresh can be a bit slow, but is that my Internet connection or my wireless router or does the app need some optimization?

Yes the interface is, shall we say, a bit inelegant, but it's in damn good shape for a beta. I'm just glad to have it!
  • Reply 27 of 49
    I'm on an iMac FP ? OK, I never expected it to work that amazingly well, but the PC version runs smoothly on craputers! They'd better do some optimization.

To the people complaining about the UI: Stop. It's the Windows interface ported to Mac. They could change it.

But knowing what did with the gmail notifier... Don't get your hopes up.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by red_kola

Do you realise what a total twat you sound like? If you don't like the buttons, then don't download the FREE application. You'll be missing out on pretty much the coolest, most fun FREE application ever, but if upon reflection, you would rather kill yourself, don't let me stop you...

Google is a multi-billion dollar company. I think they can afford to do the job right. The fact that it's free and fun doesn't change the fact that the user interface looks like a pile of horse excrement.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleRISC

Google is a multi-billion dollar company. I think they can afford to do the job right. The fact that it's free and fun doesn't change the fact that the user interface looks like a pile of horse excrement.

Yeah well, if they wanted to, you wouldn't even have the chance to use that app, so, its better to keep your baseless comments to yourself.

If you don't like it - make a better one, and don't charge any money for it. When you do that, and make no money off of it, even though you're responsible to your shareholders to make money, then you can keep giving UI classes here, mmkay?
  • Reply 30 of 49
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Or better yet. Sent them an email giving suggestions about the interface. Unconstructive complains about free, not public released, beta software is quite funny...
  • Reply 31 of 49
    I find people's passion about GEß's UI interesting. Tell me, you you hate the Windows interface so much? Because at the moment, they're the same except for the background and sliders.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PathDæmon

Tell me, you you hate the Windows interface so much?

Yes. It is quite atrocious.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    I don't like windos interface, either.

However, I sure am happy to see that an application like this is coming to the Mac platform, to make this picture/mapping software for us. I am looking at the sample JPEG that can be printed.

The free programme is one thing, there is the 'plus'(20$), and the 'pro'(400$ to start with, then add modules), too. I hope to be able to look over these things more closely before too long. They offer a 7 day trial for the pro version(windos). The various module choices for the pro version amount to 200$ per, one for GIS, one for higher resolution printing, one for movies...
  • Reply 34 of 49
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Good data.

Bad interface. Like someone said, it looks like an open source app. ugly.

Hey all we need now is a GIS app!
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Good data.

Bad interface. Like someone said, it looks like an open source app. ugly.

Hey all we need now is a GIS app!

Actually, the interface looks like the PC side. Bad or not, I'd rather have consistency. This is the most useful teaching tool (for me as a Geologist) that has been invented since Powerpoint. I use this in nearly every one of my introductory lectures. It's absolutely fantastic, and I'll buy the $30 version the minute it is released for OS X.

By the way, there are several GIS apps available for OS X. One is Canvas (which is nice drawing software - much more intuitive than Illustrator), which has a GIS and/or Scientific Imaging plugin. The other GIS app is GRASS GIS, which is the largest UNIX open source software project ever, and you can download it and run it through X11 on OS X for free. Canvas is much better and is OS X native (Mac native since the 1980's).

www.acdamerica.com
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wolber

Gotta love how the censored what's on the roofs of the whitehouse and the buildings adjacent to it.

Actually there are several things censored, including entire military installations in various places.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasenj1

Glad to see this finally getting close. I believe Google's site has always said they "are working on it" for the Mac.

The UI is consistent with the current Google Earth on Windows. The check boxes and scroll thingies are standard Aqua widgets, I believe. (Does that indicate this is a Cocoa app?) Considering how badly Apple follows it's own UI guidelines, I wouldn't rag on Google for making the Windows and Mac versions look the same as possible using OS provided UI elements.

And this is a non-public beta; they may be playing around with the UI elements to see what works best.

And, if you think Google Earth is hard to use, you've never used "real" GIS software. U-G-L-Y.

- Jasen.

OMG, yes. ArcView is HORRENDOUS! Talk about clunky. Rockworks is horrible too. Totally unintuitive. I'll say it again and again though: It is for the good of the OS X platform to have the same layout for these types of applications as the Windows side. UI differences for common apps are what make many Windows users (in my experience) reluctant to move to OS X. Not only is the OS different, but some apps are different. Even the slight differences in Office are enough to erk some people. Let the OS X only apps or apps on OS X first (iTunes, etc) have what we consider the better interface and port that to Windows.

UI consistency across platforms is the best choice and easiest choice. I'd rather have the app than not have the app.

Long live Google Earth on Mac OS X. Thank you, Google!
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by fluidinclusion

Actually, the interface looks like the PC side. Bad or not, I'd rather have consistency. This is the most useful teaching tool (for me as a Geologist) that has been invented since Powerpoint. I use this in nearly every one of my introductory lectures. It's absolutely fantastic, and I'll buy the $30 version the minute it is released for OS X.

By the way, there are several GIS apps available for OS X. One is Canvas (which is nice drawing software - much more intuitive than Illustrator), which has a GIS and/or Scientific Imaging plugin. The other GIS app is GRASS GIS, which is the largest UNIX open source software project ever, and you can download it and run it through X11 on OS X for free. Canvas is much better and is OS X native (Mac native since the 1980's).

www.acdamerica.com

An interesting post you have made here. I have been asking a friend of mine who is a geophysicist in Arabia if he has looked at earth.google yet. He is not teaching, he works in the field, really at his workstation. Still, one would think that seeing the landforms would be of interest.

You speak of Canvas. I remembered that it had a GIS plugin, and have wondered how well that worked for the Mac.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wolber

Don't forget area 51: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.27...4383&t=k&hl=en

EDIT: The roofs of the House, etc. aren't censored on Google Earth! Hehehe!
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:

Originally posted by PathDæmon

Don't forget area 51: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.27...4383&t=k&hl=en

EDIT: The roofs of the House, etc. aren't censored on Google Earth! Hehehe!

Are you sure that's being cesnored or does it just actually look like that? There's some detail, it's just really washed out.

Also, it's not Google that's censoring the Pentagon, etc... Google gets it's images from the US government.

And yes, the interface is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. And yes, I have the right to say that even though I didn't program my own satellite image viewer and release it for free, despite obligations to my shareholders.

I remember using Keyhole for PC right after Google bought them out. I remembered thinking that interface was OK, although this was a year or two ago. They're website was beautiful though before it was Googlified. You have to wonder if Google has a single competent designer. Everything they touch is so ridiculously ugly.