Briefly: Intel Macs may sing a different tune, Mac OS X 10.4.4

1246

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 102
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    Will there ever be a discussion which doesn't involve idiosyncratic acronyms/censorship? Just say pornography. Although I should really blame the English as this is where the phrase originated. \



    I'm perfectly willing to say "pornography." I was just making a point of the use of the abbreviation by the quoted poster.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    Incidentally it would be nice to keep the conversation civilised. I am not interested in people's habits of looking at porn or when they have sex with their wife. If you want to discuss these matters why not visit an adult chat forum? I'm sure Google would assist your quest.







    That was partially my point.
  • Reply 62 of 102
    okay whatever. i'll go find a more suitable forum then... yeah i have tended to drag these threads into the toilet sometimes...
  • Reply 63 of 102
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    Just to be the inevitably pedantic asshole, you mean "abbreviation", not "acronym".



    I know, I was referring to other expressions people use. I was calling pr0n censorship! But cheers for the inevitable comment - it got it out the way!



    Incidentally my first comment was not aimed at PathDæmon and my second comment was supporting him.



    In addition I appreciate most of sunilraman's comments, he is a great asset to the forum!



    Now can we continue with our mindless anecdotes about past start-up sounds?



  • Reply 64 of 102
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    Now can we continue with our mindless anecdotes about past start-up sounds?







    Yes. I just noticed that this subject has completely taken over the thread.

    I'm done!
  • Reply 65 of 102
    thanks, *sniff* okay, i'll hang around *sniff*



    okay, back on topic. i reckon the new boot up sound should be the darth vader theme -- dum.. dum.. dum dum, dah dah dah.. dah dah dah...
  • Reply 66 of 102
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Flounder

    And there's always the throw a T-shirt over it option too.



    Or an iPod sock.
  • Reply 67 of 102
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sjk

    Or an iPod sock.



    I don't laugh out loud as often as some people, But I'll give that a smile.

  • Reply 68 of 102
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by damiansipko

    It's about damn time to change that tune. It's such poor quality. Though, I must admit I'd probably miss it.



    How about Apple licenses a 7.1 mix of the THX sound from lucus for startup
  • Reply 69 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    You don't. It's in ROM, so you can't change it.



    Unless you know how to code firmware updates?
  • Reply 70 of 102
    What's interesting of all this is that 'sources' so dear to AppleInsider haven't even recorded the startup chime.



    When nobody is capable of producing a *clear* picture using *today's* cameras of rumored hardware or even produce a recording of sounds it could make, chances are strong the rumor is false.



    I don't know why one would lie about a simple startup chime though...but, where there's no supporting evidence, there's no truth, IMO. And when there's a doubt, there *is* no doubt.
  • Reply 71 of 102
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sunilraman

    okay, back on topic. i reckon the new boot up sound should be the darth vader theme -- dum.. dum.. dum dum, dah dah dah.. dah dah dah...



    excellent idea 8)
  • Reply 72 of 102
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    Unless you know how to code firmware updates?



    That would require a flashable ROM. I don't think that's the case here.



    You would need to get special equipment, etc.
  • Reply 73 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    All I would like out of the startup chime would be the ability to adjust its volume, just as we can with the other system sounds
  • Reply 74 of 102
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    All I would like out of the startup chime would be the ability to adjust its volume, just as we can with the other system sounds



    I think this will be tricky as the nature of the start-up sound is a hardware test and therefore is in the ROM. It's the same volume as the system sound so Apple could implement a script to lower/raise volume at shut-down to basically fulfil your request. Although you could probably do this yourself!
  • Reply 75 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by MacCrazy

    I think this will be tricky as the nature of the start-up sound is a hardware test and therefore is in the ROM. It's the same volume as the system sound so Apple could implement a script to lower/raise volume at shut-down to basically fulfil your request. Although you could probably do this yourself!



    I haven't been able to figure out a way to do this reliably. It works upon a restart, but not upon a cold start. I don't know of any thing that works, but something could have come along that I don't know about.



    The problem with scripts is that they don't work until AFTER the ROM's boot up process is finished. That's why they work upon reboot, but not cold booting.



    I think that it would have to be a firmware change that would allow this to be adjusted in system prefs.
  • Reply 76 of 102
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Chucker

    That would require a flashable ROM. I don't think that's the case here.



    You would need to get special equipment, etc.




    Then how the heck will they change it?



    (and how did that firmware update for my G5 work?)
  • Reply 77 of 102
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Placebo

    Then how the heck will they change it?



    I thought we're strictly speaking about new computers.



    Quote:

    (and how did that firmware update for my G5 work?)



    You have a point. New World Macs have had firmware update capability.



    I may be wrong; the ROM in New World may be flashable.
  • Reply 78 of 102
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    All I would like out of the startup chime would be the ability to adjust its volume, just as we can with the other system sounds



    dude isn't it dependent on the general output volume? mute the output volume, restart and no startup chime.



    set the output volume to mid or max etc and the startup chime will follow that volume on restart...



    but yeah a separate independet volume control specifically for startup chime would be mui sophisticado.
  • Reply 79 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,585member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by sunilraman

    dude isn't it dependent on the general output volume? mute the output volume, restart and no startup chime.



    set the output volume to mid or max etc and the startup chime will follow that volume on restart...



    but yeah a separate independet volume control specifically for startup chime would be mui sophisticado.




    It is, but that's not what I'd like. The system sounds can be seperately controlled from the sound panel, but not the startup. So, if you turn system sounds down, the startup is still loud.



    If you turn the overall sound control down, the startup is also turned down, but then you have to turn the sounds up again to listen to whatever you're listening to. Before you turn the computer off, you then have to turn the sound down again.



    This is a real pain. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't always remember to do this. So, either the system sound is loud because I was listening to something before, or the sound is too low because I had remembered to turn it down before turning the machine off (though I do sometimes leave it on for extended periods).



    It would be nice if they had a control that would adjust the system sound so that the general sound setting had NOTHING to do with it. So that however we set it, the sound adjustment on the menu bar, for example, wouldn't re-adjust it as well.



    That way, no matter what we did elsewhere, it wouldn't change unexpectedly.
  • Reply 80 of 102
    Quote:

    Originally posted by melgross

    It is, but that's not what I'd like. The system sounds can be seperately controlled from the sound panel, but not the startup. So, if you turn system sounds down, the startup is still loud.



    If you turn the overall sound control down, the startup is also turned down, but then you have to turn the sounds up again to listen to whatever you're listening to. Before you turn the computer off, you then have to turn the sound down again.



    This is a real pain. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't always remember to do this. So, either the system sound is loud because I was listening to something before, or the sound is too low because I had remembered to turn it down before turning the machine off (though I do sometimes leave it on for extended periods).



    It would be nice if they had a control that would adjust the system sound so that the general sound setting had NOTHING to do with it. So that however we set it, the sound adjustment on the menu bar, for example, wouldn't re-adjust it as well.



    That way, no matter what we did elsewhere, it wouldn't change unexpectedly.




    Exactly.



    (Ohmigod, did I just say that?)
Sign In or Register to comment.