Briefly: Intel Macs may sing a different tune, Mac OS X 10.4.4

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

It is, but that's not what I'd like. The system sounds can be seperately controlled from the sound panel, but not the startup. So, if you turn system sounds down, the startup is still loud.

If you turn the overall sound control down, the startup is also turned down, but then you have to turn the sounds up again to listen to whatever you're listening to. Before you turn the computer off, you then have to turn the sound down again.

This is a real pain. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't always remember to do this. So, either the system sound is loud because I was listening to something before, or the sound is too low because I had remembered to turn it down before turning the machine off (though I do sometimes leave it on for extended periods).

It would be nice if they had a control that would adjust the system sound so that the general sound setting had NOTHING to do with it. So that however we set it, the sound adjustment on the menu bar, for example, wouldn't re-adjust it as well.

That way, no matter what we did elsewhere, it wouldn't change unexpectedly.

yeah, i would agree here, that sums up the current challenges with the startup sound, and some very distinct usability issues (which apple normally excels in but we mac "zealots" know better)
  • Reply 82 of 102
    Now that we're all Intel fanboys and sucking at the teat of mediocrity, this is the new startup sound...

New Intel Mac Startup Sound
  • Reply 83 of 102
    i just threw up in my mouth \
  • Reply 84 of 102
    has anybody heard the 20th anniv. mac startup sound? i'm pretty sure it's the only one of its kind. it's kind of cheap sounding though
  • Reply 85 of 102
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Now that we're all Intel fanboys and sucking at the teat of mediocrity, this is the new startup sound...

Somehow, I expected it would be that.
  • Reply 86 of 102
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

you do realise you've opened another can of worms!

Quote:

Originally posted by Newbie

Apple wouldn't have that start-up sound blah blah blah

8)

I never thought I'd say this but that actually sounds good on my soundsticks!
  • Reply 87 of 102
    Quote:

RTFA:

EDIT: Read the article:

Quote:

AppleInsider Article by Prince McLean

Without describing the new boot chime, sources quipped that it "doesn't sound anything like the 'Intel Inside' chime heard in most of the chip maker's media advertisements.

• Reply 88 of 102
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Anyone here tried StartupSound.prefPane?
  • Reply 89 of 102
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PathDæmon

RTFA:

I know these concepts are hard to grasp, but here's a few articles that might help you: Irony, Sarcasm, Cynicism and, most importantly, Humor.
  • Reply 90 of 102
    Can we please stop with the annoying acronyms.
  • Reply 91 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

I know these concepts are hard to grasp, but here's a few articles that might help you: Irony, Sarcasm, Cynicism and, most importantly, Humor.

I usually have a sense of humor, but the joke seemed a little bit... bad. I thought we were past thinking that it was the Intel sound, and then someone's like, "Hey, guys! OMG, this is the sound: Link... INTEL!!!!!"

IDK.

EDIT: I don't know.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by PathDæmon

I usually have a sense of humor, but the joke seemed a little bit... bad.

It wasn't the greatest joke, but I think it was pretty clear that aegisdesign was either an utter moron (unlikely) or was just trying to be funny.

• Reply 93 of 102
    wtf stfu btw get afk okthx

Plain English anyone?

• Reply 94 of 102
    Quote:

It wasn't the greatest joke, but I think it was pretty clear that aegisdesign was either an utter moron (unlikely) or was just trying to be funny.

I did mention earlier on that he'd opened a can of worms. I assumed this comment would have stopped conversation about the Intel sound but unfortunately not.
  • Reply 95 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

wtf stfu btw get afk okthx

Plain English anyone?

Welcome to the Internet.
  • Reply 96 of 102
    Lundy - can you make this a sticky?
  • Reply 97 of 102
    Um, dude, not everyone's display is 2560x1600
  • Reply 98 of 102
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

Lundy - can you make this a sticky?

I'll move it to Mac OS and make it sticky for a while.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Um, dude, not everyone's display is 2560x1600

If you split lines, there will be a thousand screaming users whose scripts don't work. Heh.

OK, moving this post to Mac OS.
  • Reply 100 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

If you split lines, there will be a thousand screaming users whose scripts don't work. Heh.

OK, moving this post to Mac OS.

Point, but you could use the backslash to avoid that.

E.g.

Code:

long-line-of-code\\

that-goes-on-here

Common shells recognize that.