Briefly: Mac OS X 10.4.4 development winding down

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The development of Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update appears to be in the final stages at Apple Computer, as tipsters say the latest developer builds of the software are accompanied by only a few outstanding issues.

According to sources and reports already present on the Web, Mac OS X 10.4.4 stands to deliver over 120 bug fixes to the Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" operating system. Targeted areas are said to include audio, AppleScript, Bluetooth, Dashboard widgets, DVD Player, graphics, graphics drivers, iChat, Safari, and Spotlight.

The near 52MB system update will be the fourth maintenance update released for Tiger in the seven months since Apple first made the operating system available to the public.

In the latest builds of 10.4.4, tipsters say Apple has made several refinements to the Safari web browser, including scrolling, download and rendering fixes. The release will also reportedly repair a hole in Safari that has blocked some users from accessing sites like GoDaddy.com.

If Apple's Mac OS X Update schedule in recent years is any indication, Mac OS X 10.4.4 Update should see a release just prior to the Apple's holiday break which occurs near the last week of December.

The most recent developer release of Mac OS X 10.4.4 is rumored to be build 8G22.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Most importantly... Tiger 10.4.4 for Intel can't be ready if the main 10.4.4 isn't, and I want my YonahBook On track to show in January and ship by March maybe?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Oh, man, I can't wait to go to the Apple Store to line up for my copy of Tiger 10.4.4! Yipee!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    i hope it fixes .mac sync! I've been getting 'unable to login to sync server' for ages :/ not sure if its a 10.4.3 or server-end problem
  • Reply 4 of 37
    meromero Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

Oh, man, I can't wait to go to the Apple Store to line up for my copy of Tiger 10.4.4! Yipee!

You go to the Apple Store to get a copy? I believe this is a free version intended for software update, as per usual before the holidays.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mero

You go to the Apple Store to get a copy? I believe this is a free version intended for software update, as per usual before the holidays.

I was just kidding. Gotcha!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    I hope the Safari fix corrects whatever the deal is with bananarepublic.com, which just flat refuses to display in Safari.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    meromero Posts: 27member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macFanDave

I was just kidding. Gotcha!

I AM SUCH THE APRIL FOOL!

OWn3d <-- wow I havent typed that in awhile. haha
  • Reply 8 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Porchland

I hope the Safari fix corrects whatever the deal is with bananarepublic.com, which just flat refuses to display in Safari.

Maybe this is part of using a Mac. It intrinsically knows you're about to make a major fashion faux pas by buying something at banana republic, plus that you'd be overpaying for the clothing (and knowing you can't afford it, since you spent all your money on a mac), so its basically stopping you from even going there.

I must say, this is a great feature...
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mero

I AM SUCH THE APRIL FOOL!

OWn3d <-- wow I havent typed that in awhile. haha

It's spelt pwnt now. :P Or maybe that's out of date now.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

It's spelt pwnt now. :P Or maybe that's out of date now.

man, damn kids!! i am so out of date....
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

The release will also reportedly repair a hole in Safari that has blocked some users from accessing sites like GoDaddy.com.

That problem is already fixed!

From the GoDaddy.com site:

Quote:

The resolution for Apple Safari web browser difficulties is now in place for GoDaddy.com customers. The issue involved some customers who were having problems accessing forwarded domain names. The issue was NOT related to a problem in the GoDaddy.com service, but rather with a product supplied by one of our vendors.

This also resolves the same issue with the Opera browser on the Macintosh platform.

• Reply 12 of 37
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by starwxrwx

i hope it fixes .mac sync! I've been getting 'unable to login to sync server' for ages :/ not sure if its a 10.4.3 or server-end problem

No problems here - I sync every day.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    here's an interesting thought: let's say i decide to reinstall my machine after the 10.4.4 update comes out. i bought tiger the day it came out, so i have the 10.4.0 dvd install. which means i would immediately have to install every update in one big honkin' combo updater, right? what's THAT gonna weigh in at? like 300 MB, when all is said and done?

just glad i have broadband, i guess. but there are still plenty of folks who don't have broadband as an option (or who can't afford it instead of their managed minute-by-minute plans). seems to me it might behoove apple to, at some point, make a cheap updater dvd that includes all updates-to-date (they can't do it all the time, but maybe when the sum total size of updates surpasses a certain mark), and offer it free (you still pay for shipping) with a tiger proof of purchase?

just a thought.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I've wondered that same thing.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    There are still people with modems? Even I have dsl and i'm in...the sticks, VT.

If people want updates, they should bring their memory stick or ipod to a store and grab them there.

As for 10.4.4, it better fix a lot. Apps are Unexpectedly quitting in 10.4.3 even on my girl's plain vanilla PB. It has nothing on it but office. 10.4.3 is disappointing. I hope they got it right with 10.4.4 in terms of stability.

And make Safari stop fucking my computer when it has more than 30 pages open. Why do browsers do that? Even FireFox just grinds my computer to a halt with more than 30 pages open. That's just unacceptable. If I'm doing a paper I need 30, 50, maybe a 100 web pages open. Why does it munch CPU to have pages open in the background? And they're static too. WTF mate. throw it on the drive or hell even RAM, I have 640 megs. Shouldn't bring a 876mhz PBG4 to a grinding halt with 640 RAM and 10.4.3 should it?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

here's an interesting thought: let's say i decide to reinstall my machine after the 10.4.4 update comes out. i bought tiger the day it came out, so i have the 10.4.0 dvd install. which means i would immediately have to install every update in one big honkin' combo updater, right? what's THAT gonna weigh in at? like 300 MB, when all is said and done?

The combo updater is like 100MB. It really isn't as big as all the indivual updates put together. Probably because they keep fixing the same things over and over again....

But I'm sure 10.4.4 is going to be as rock solid! Just like System 7.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    When 10.4.4 comes out. It'll be the best update yet for some people. And the worst update for others.

In fact, my sekrit sources say that 10.4.4 will break a lot of people's Spotlight indexing...and the Dashboard will still be around, for the people that don't like it.

I'm not kidding either. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

There are still people with modems? Even I have dsl and i'm in...the sticks, VT.

If people want updates, they should bring their memory stick or ipod to a store and grab them there.

As for 10.4.4, it better fix a lot. Apps are Unexpectedly quitting in 10.4.3 even on my girl's plain vanilla PB. It has nothing on it but office. 10.4.3 is disappointing. I hope they got it right with 10.4.4 in terms of stability.

And make Safari stop fucking my computer when it has more than 30 pages open. Why do browsers do that? Even FireFox just grinds my computer to a halt with more than 30 pages open. That's just unacceptable. If I'm doing a paper I need 30, 50, maybe a 100 web pages open. Why does it munch CPU to have pages open in the background? And they're static too. WTF mate. throw it on the drive or hell even RAM, I have 640 megs. Shouldn't bring a 876mhz PBG4 to a grinding halt with 640 RAM and 10.4.3 should it?

I'm in the middle of a city and can't get anything but dial-up. All thanks to our communications industry being run by a duopoly concerned entirely with cutting services and increasing costs to boost profit.

Ah well, no probs for me, but a new update is always welcome.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

When 10.4.4 comes out. It'll be the best update yet for some people. And the worst update for others.

Isn't that the truth. I had no problems with any release of Tiger apart from 10.4.3. Others hated 10.4.0, whilst I loved it. Now people seem to be calming down as 10.4.3 has solved their problems, but now has given me woes for some reason. In fairness, I still get less crashes than Windows, but after using Mac OS X for the year with next to no crashes, the few that happen in 10.4.3 really stand out.

Roll on 10.4.4.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    heh. 10.4.0 and 10.4.1 bit of a disaster, but 10.4.3 has been relatively awesome for me... i did clean install though... with 10.4.4 i'll just let it update.

yeah, relatiively good for me on 10.4.3. sorry to hear otherwise for people that have had challenges with 10.4.3 -- i know of a few niggling things that well, are just plain frustrating and sometimes, bewildering.