FUTURE HARDWARE 23 DAYS, and counting.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by gugy

What problems?

I have one and it is flawless.

I'm glad yours is great, but until i can walk into an Apple store and not see pink displays, I won't buy.
  • Reply 22 of 132
    Yes

iLife '06 - There is so much to ad. I suspect they might make a "delux" version to sell for a little more that comes with a airport and/or powered bluetooh remote.

iWork '06 (IMHO it's not worthy of MacWorld coverage unless they get their act together with it this year)

iPod Shuffle Update - with the Apple's current, "If it's not broken, replace it" theory, I think we will see a totaly new concent.

Mac OS X Leopard Coverage

Black Turtle Neck...

Maybe

Intel Macs (hey, its the true iMac -- har har...nvm)
    • Mac Mini - Again, like the iBook

• PowerBook - I personaly think this will come later WITH the PowerMac G5 intel update

• iMac - No. Again - it will come later.

iPod Boombox of Sorts - Most likely just stero thing for now, but I really (and this is POSSIBLE but not likely for MWSF) I'd like to see a iHome all-in-one type package. (I posted a thread about this a while ago)

New iTunes content

No

Apple Monitors - Nope, sorry, maybe WWDC

Pro Software - No.

Nothing iPod other than shuffle - not even one that makes your coffee.

iTunes 7 - then again...

Realising that Leopard will dominate most of the end of '06, I think we will be seeing many hardware advancements at the begining to middle of the year, and software AFTER leopard.

Also, as far as "the year of the...", I would suspect he says 'intel'.
  • Reply 23 of 132
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    I can't wait to see what Apple is going to come out with. I am looking forward to maybe selling the iBook and get a new Mactel, but who knows.
  • Reply 24 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

My hopes are for a sneak peek of the next Gen. Mac OS, and an iHome device with DVR. I'll wait for the mill to start turning crazy predictions out before getting any crazier than that.

IMHO, we will not see much of Leopard. The planned release date for Leopard is too close to Vista and showing anything innovative now will give MS enough time to copy the features and steal Leopard's thunder, unlike the case with Tiger which is more than 1 year ahead of Vista. Apple should be more secretive with planned new features than before. I think WWDC would be the obvious place to show Leopard for the fist time. It should give developers plenty of time to adopt new features, but not give MS more time to copy.

Despite that, though, like you, I hope very much for a sneak peek of the cat and a "one more thing" that blows our mind.

Also, I think we can add to "for sure" more announcements on iTunes video numbers and new agreements with network TVs (and maybe cable TV).
  • Reply 25 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blade-X

IMHO, we will not see much of Leopard. The planned release date for Leopard is too close to Vista and showing anything innovative now will give MS enough time to copy the features and steal Leopard's thunder, unlike the case with Tiger which is more than 1 year ahead of Vista. Apple should be more secretive with planned new features than before. I think WWDC would be the obvious place to show Leopard for the fist time. It should give developers plenty of time to adopt new features, but not give MS more time to copy.

Despite that, though, like you, I hope very much for a sneak peek of the cat and a "one more thing" that blows our mind.

Also, I think we can add to "for sure" more announcements on iTunes video numbers and new agreements with network TVs (and maybe cable TV).

Well if Apple is shooting for a Q4 2006 release (to coincide with Vista - providing that doesn't slip - again..) then they are going to have to show something off pretty soon and get developers' wheels turning on 10.5. If you think back to Tiger, that was shown off at WWDC 2004 for the first time (I think?), and then released March / April this year (sorry can't remember exact dates). That gave developers approx. 9 months with the new system.

I guess they may use the same timeline again and go for an early 2007 release - who knows?
  • Reply 26 of 132
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    What I'd like to see:

(1) Tablet, with flash memory and celeron m, running mac os x, with firewire sync, extruded aluminum case.

(2) Apple VOIP WiFi phone, similar to Vonage's but not locked in to any "carrier" , with Apple styling. Also can surf web, read email.

(3) Nicer Apple keyboard, lose the numpad, metal styling, possibly lighted, possibly with built-in trackball, wireless. Oh, even better: let me snap out the numpad and insert a trackball, on left or right. (The Mac Portable had this feature way back when... in the days when Apple was innovative, not merely stylish.)
  • Reply 27 of 132
    We're going to see "stylish computer that will lure female users."
  • Reply 28 of 132
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

possibly with built-in trackball

Trackball. Right. Uh-huh.
  • Reply 29 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

Also, as far as "the year of the...", I would suspect he says 'intel'. [/B]

Does that mean we'll hear nothing about it after MWSF?

iLife '06 is a given.

The shuffle is very probable, if only because an iPod update guarantees greater general media coverage of the entire event.

I'm intrigued by the so called iHome device. One way or another, I'd love Apple to move into the living room, there's so much scope (for me to play around with anyway). It does seem the way that Apple is moving. Will it be a set top box, an Airport Express AV or some totally new concept? Can't wait

I'm keeping a close eye on the laptops. I'm hoping to buy one over the summer (assuming I get my degree), and the sooner they upgrade, the more likely they'll upgrade again late summer.

I'm not so sure about the first sighting of Leopard, Apple normally shows it to developers before the general public. Wouldn't WWDC be more likely?

Finally, let's ask for something "beyond the rumor sites"
  • Reply 30 of 132
    The only thing coming out of MWNY will be pestilence and fear. But especially pestilence.

The FOR-SUREs:

? Bubonic plague

The MAYBEs:

? SARS

? Smallpox

The LONG-SHOTs:

? Weird gas that turns people inside-out
  • Reply 31 of 132
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

The LONG-SHOTs:

Is that Apple Branded Weird gas???

When can I order this!!!!!!

iGas!!!

Woot!!!

21 days 20h 38m 00s!!!

• Reply 32 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

The only thing coming out of MWNY will be pestilence and fear. But especially pestilence.

The FOR-SUREs:

? Bubonic plague

The MAYBEs:

? SARS

? Smallpox

The LONG-SHOTs:

What have we told you about making plastics without adequate ventilation...
  • Reply 33 of 132
    ThinkSecret reaffirms new iBooks and Minis are coming...

Put me down for 1 dual core 13 inch widescreen iBook please (might have to change my name though)
  • Reply 34 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

Does that mean we'll hear nothing about it after MWSF?

Well, I do suspect that most announcments will occur at MWSF and WWDC with a few in between, but very litte in the time around the Leopard release.
  • Reply 35 of 132
    Anyone care to speculate on whether Apple will continue to cripple monitor spanning or not?

Here's my prediction. iBook widescreen models will support spanning. As there's no standard of proportions on widescreen unlike what prevails with 4:3 formats and as widescreen computers still need to support 4:3 LCD projectors, crippling spanning would seem to me to cause more trouble than it's worth.

But I would expect to see Apple continue to fail to provide DVI on the iBook; Intel seems to spew out VGA-out motherboards with no DVI for most Wintel laptops so Apple will no doubt follow the path of least resistance on that one for the iBook.

And is it just me, or do others expect Apple to take this opportunity to slip the MPC7448 processor into the 15 and 17 inch Powerbooks for the last few months of their existence as PPC machines? They were, after all, supposed to go in for the October update, and it's the one thing Apple could do with those machines that would require no further retooling or development costs.
  • Reply 36 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by photoeditor

And is it just me, or do others expect Apple to take this opportunity to slip the MPC7448 processor into the 15 and 17 inch Powerbooks for the last few months of their existence as PPC machines? They were, after all, supposed to go in for the October update, and it's the one thing Apple could do with those machines that would require no further retooling or development costs.

A faster G4 in the PowerBook could tempt me to upgrade from an Al 1.25GHz PB.

Daystar currently is upgrading older PBs to 1.92GHz. I don't know which processor they are using, probably the MPC7448. If Apple could do this with the new high density screens and a better GPU and all that would be a great bridge till they come out with Intel based PBs. The dual core version would be really cool but that is too much to hope for.

It would be nice if they could also add another FW port.
  • Reply 37 of 132
    Apple cannot introduce an Intel iBook without at least introducing one Intel PowerBook. Intel iBooks only ? will tank PowerBook sales. Unless, of course, iBooks have shared graphics and some really medicore features.
  • Reply 38 of 132
    My wish list:

1) Airport Express A/V. I'm THIS close to pulling the trigger on a Squeezebox, but I'll wait till after MWSF to see if Apple can pull something out.

2) iBook Yonah. Dual-core. I don't really care about the resolution because for real work I'll hook it up to an external monitor. I suspect they'll keep monitor spanning crippled, but a hack will be done minutes after they ship. I just hope they don't make the pixel density too high; my eyes can only handle about 100ppi, 1400x1050 on a 12" screen would be useless.

Then I can hook up a 200GB drive to my B&W G3/350 (with a G4 800 proc) and make the old boy a file server, or web surfing machine.

And please, no iPod boombox - unless it has a DVR attached to it.

2006. Year of the... Living Room?

Keynote:

iPods rule.

(Maybe some new iPod hardware announcements.)

iTunes video rules.

(Airport Express A/V?)

Tiger 10.4.4 features.

iLife 06 with Front Row.

(DVR?)

Intel iBooks & Mac mini.

And one more thing: You know those iPod docks auto manufacturers have been putting in. We thought we could do a little better than that. Announcing the Apple iCar navigation & entertainment system.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 39 of 132
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by david_oc

I'm not so sure about the first sighting of Leopard, Apple normally shows it to developers before the general public. Wouldn't WWDC be more likely?

I think they are planning on releasing the majority of the Macs on Intel's by WWDC. Leopard will will be coming at the same time as Longhorn in 2007, and maybe we wont get a peek at it until WWDC, but usually we get a glimpse of the new OS before the big demo of it at WWDC. We did with Tiger, but being that this is going to be positioned as a release to trounce, and triumph over Longhorn we may not. Leopard is pretty much the first incarnation of the intel Mac OS IMO. I think developers are going to be playing with some of it's underlying features beforehand because I'm pretty sure we'll have a few intel Mac's before WWDC. But then again maybe we wont.

Oh yeah... 21 days and counting. 3 weeks until the show.
  • Reply 40 of 132
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

...but usually we get a glimpse of the new OS before the big demo of it at WWDC. We did with Tiger...

We didn't with Tiger.

Tiger was introduced to developers at WWDC 2004, then previewed to the masses at MWSF 2005 before being released in April 2005. There was no mention of Tiger at MWSF 2004.