"I have no need for a Video iPod."

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I've discovered there's an interesting and negative phenomenon happening with Apple's new iPods: Now that they play videos, some people are saying that they just can't justify buying one because they don't have a need to watch videos on the iPod.

This is when I have to remind them that the iPod still plays music as its primary feature and costs the same as it did before. Now, it just has 10GB more storage on the low end and the capability to play videos if the user wants to. One specific guy I spoke with Friday replied that he never really thought of it that way.

Folks, this is bad. People are seeing the "Video iPod" as something they don't want because either they don't think it can play music anymore or that it has features they can't justify paying for (i.e. video capability).

Anyone else notice this, and do you think this could turn out to be a problem for Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No, it just continues the negative ASP trend which already existed way before the nano and the 5G.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    i think there's something to it. someone on here once said he was hesitant to buy a quad because it would be a "waste." the odd thing is, the quad isn't some extra fourth highest priced model. it's just the top model of the powermac line. it would be like saying the dual 2.7 would be a huge waste over the 2.5. the quad is seen almost as a different machine.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Folks, this is bad. People are seeing the "Video iPod" as something they don't want because either they don't think it can play music anymore or that it has features they can't justify paying for (i.e. video capability).

Anyone else notice this, and do you think this could turn out to be a problem for Apple?

Please.

This rational is silly.

The increased screen size alone is worth buying this version of the iPod over others.

Whenever I pick up my other iPod it's immediately apparent how great the bigger screen size is.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Please.

This rational is silly.

The increased screen size alone is worth buying this version of the iPod over others.

Whenever I pick up my other iPod it's immediately apparent how great the bigger screen size is.

Exactly, but I think that's what he's saying. That rationale is silly but that's how people are viewing it right now. I agree, I have heard a lot of people that aren't as into electronics (and apple) as I am say they don't understand why anyone would ever need to play video ona device that small, and when I tell them that that's just an extra feature along with the larger screen and smaller size all for the same price they didn't realize. Oh, well they usually end up buying nano's anyway so I don't think apple will be hurt that much.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I can see the point being made, but I don't see that there is much Apple can do about it.

Should they stop adding features at a given price point because people will get the idea that they "don't need that"?

They can't really offer a "non-video" iPod for less because the chip set is what it is and merely disabling video functionality doesn't reduce costs.

If they think it's too expensive they think it's too expensive, and wishing that there was a less fully featured model that cost less is a pricing issue, not a feature issue.

For instance, should Apple hesitate to put more "media center" features into the Mini for fear that some buyers might imagine that they are paying a premium for stuff they won't use? I just can't see it.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I just think Apple needs to get across to the public that the iPod is the same price as before with the same features as before, but with added storage and video capability.

The people I talked to are getting the wrong impression about the iPod now because all they hear is "video iPod" from the media and all of us. Joe Shmoe consumer than says to themself, "I wanted an iPod, but I don't need a video iPod when I'm not going to ever play videos."

I think, in a lot of people's minds, the nano has replaced the regular iPod as the "mp3" player and the full-sized iPod is now primarily a video device.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    The reaction speed of the new iPods is not as good as the previous generations so for me (without the need for the video features) it is a downgrade. The new video tech is NOT just good.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    What i have to constantly remind people is that the new iPod is called "iPod with video" not the "video iPod". This might defer some people, but in most cases, the people that don't know alot about iPods are the ones with a smaller music library. They usually go with the Nano anyways
  • Reply 9 of 35
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I swear apple has made a point of saying this is just an mp3 playing ipod that just happens to play videos as well but I guess some ppl will never get it. This thing is the same price as the old 20gig and it has more storage and a random feature that you don't even need, that's a great bargain compared to choices a few months ago!

Did you need a colour screen to listen to music? No

Did you need photo capability to listen to music? No

why would ipod with video be any different?

I just don't get people's rationale.

I guess they also figured the ipod photo (not ipod with photo, unlike ipod with video) was only a picture viewer.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The reaction speed of the new iPods is not as good as the previous generations

Yeah, what's up with that? I understand that it's a color display and it has to display more information than with the monochrome one, but you would think they would 'fix' that problem. It's not a big deal, if you don't care, but I *hate* waiting, even if for a fraction of a second, for my MP3 player to load a giant album of 3 songs.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

I guess they also figured the ipod photo (not ipod with photo, unlike ipod with video) was only a picture viewer.

Remember that, at the time, there was the iPod with monochrome screen and the iPod photo. The regular iPod totally outsold the iPod photo. Then Apple merged the two to just be iPod with a color screen and photo capability.

This time the iPod got video capability. The difference is that everybody and their uncle started calling it a "Video iPod." To the average consumer that has a totally different meaning than "iPod." To them, an "iPod" plays "mp3s," and a "Video iPod" plays videos -- something they don't have a need for.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The difference is that everybody and their uncle started calling it a "Video iPod." To the average consumer that has a totally different meaning than "iPod." To them, an "iPod" plays "mp3s," and a "Video iPod" plays videos -- something they don't have a need for.

News flash - peepil R stoopid.

I'm not sure Apple can do anything to change this fact...
  • Reply 13 of 35
    i don't think they can.aplle doesn't calls it the video iPod.video is just a bonus.i think in a year or so we'll get an premium ipod with videos as the primary function,but that's another topic
  • Reply 14 of 35
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Marketing 101. If people make an irrational statement to justify a purchase or non-purchase then that statement IS NOT TRUE. It is a justification to themselves masking a deeper reason which they may or may not be aware of. You will see a lot more irrational anti-Apple rhetoric simply because they are more succesful. It is normal human behaviour and is a GOOD SIGN for Apple.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    I'll be frank - we can't keep these damn things on the shelf. There may be people out there who won't buy an iPod for whatever reason - it's alright, they couldn't get one any way right now. I've got about 10 of the 30's and about 8 2gig nano's going into Boxing Day. With a free $20 iTunes gift card attatched for one day only they'll last all of an hour.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    His Steveness said something like "I want to introduce the new iPod, and yes, it does video." He never called it The Video iPod, the media did that. Apple has no control over the media and their limited understanding of reality. The reality distortion field is really out there! When Apple decides to make a true video device, it will be pretty obvious

The thing is, many, many people have found that they DO have a need for the video iPod- I mean, the iPod and yes, it does video. Many more will realize it, too.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    The whole discussion is moot. The "Video" iPods are selling by the millions. Demand is high for both models.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Marketing 101. If people make an irrational statement to justify a purchase or non-purchase then that statement IS NOT TRUE. It is a justification to themselves masking a deeper reason which they may or may not be aware of. You will see a lot more irrational anti-Apple rhetoric simply because they are more succesful. It is normal human behaviour and is a GOOD SIGN for Apple.

It's not about irrational hate for an Apple product. It's about the disconnect between marketing, publicity and consumer need.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Stupid people
  • Reply 20 of 35
    svinsvin Posts: 30member
    this thread fails on so many levels