"I have no need for a Video iPod."

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by svin

this thread fails on so many levels

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Dad. I tried as hard as I could to get straight A's. I'll go get the paddle.

Okay, fine. Yes, the "Video iPods" have sold very well, but my premise was simply that Apple might be missing a number of customers because of the customers' misconceptions.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

It's not about irrational hate for an Apple product. It's about the disconnect between marketing, publicity and consumer need.

Explain.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I'm sorry to disappoint you, Dad. I tried as hard as I could to get straight A's. I'll go get the paddle.

Okay, fine. Yes, the "Video iPods" have sold very well, but my premise was simply that Apple might be missing a number of customers because of the customers' misconceptions.

But it's a moot point...again. Apple cannot even make enough iPods right now. Anecdote: I was in the King of Prussia mall yesterday getting my 60GB model. Before I got to the actual store, I hear this couple behind me talking about going to the "iPod store". When I got to the store, there was a rope line and 15 minute wait just to get in. They had this huge guy acting as a bouncer. Almost every person was in there to get an iPod...a few Macs, a few airport stations, etc.

Secondly, who is creating the disconnect? It's not Apple. They never branded it a video iPod. It was the media who soley focused on that capability. Apple focused on music primarily.

I just don't see the point of this thread. if iPod video sales were lagging, that would be one thing. But they're not.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    In the spirit of Christmas guilt, I think I'll take this one step further.

1. People have no *need* for an iPod, video or otherwise. Check the heirarchy of needs, iPods are waaay up there.

2. It's the easiest objection in the world to overcome, with the simplest of salesmonkies on my floor achieving such a task:

Snooty Customer: "I have no *NEED* for a Video iPod"

Salesmonkey: "It's the same price as the previous iPod, thinner, adds a larger screen, better battery, larger hard drive (20 -> 30), comes in a choice of black or white and, yes, it does play video, but only if you want it to."

Snooty Customer: "Ye gods, I'm sold. I'll take two!"

So is this a problem? Maybe with a few people - but they're probably looking to justify that Creative purchase or even *shudder* buying a Sony Jellybean.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by vinney57

Explain.

Did you read the original post?

"...Now that they play videos, some people are saying that they just can't justify buying one because they don't have a need to watch videos on the iPod."

"...People are seeing the "Video iPod" as something they don't want because either they don't think it can play music anymore or that it has features they can't justify paying for."

It's not irrational hate. It's confusion.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    I've seen it go both ways. I saw an elderly man deciding what iPods to buy for his son and daughter for Christmas. In this particular case, for $50 extra from the 4GB nano to the 30GB iPod, they could get around 7x the amount of storage space and watch videos on the thing. So he went with that.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by nowayout11

Did you read the original post?

"...Now that they play videos, some people are saying that they just can't justify buying one because they don't have a need to watch videos on the iPod."

"...People are seeing the "Video iPod" as something they don't want because either they don't think it can play music anymore or that it has features they can't justify paying for."

It's not irrational hate. It's confusion.

I have to admit, some part of me feels the same way. Even though I know its the same price, I still feel like I'm paying some premium for the new features that I will never use. I'd rather have something with all the music features, no color screen or video, and have had the price drop $50 dollars.

They are adding features in order to keep the price point the same. And since I don't want those features, part of me feels bitter that I'm paying for them.

I'll undoubtedly overcome it, since the iPod is still best music player, but it has kept me with my 20g when I otherwise would probably have otherwise upgraded. (And in my case, it's definitely not Apple hatred, since I tend toward buying Apple gadgets just 'cuase their Apple. It's probably just 'cuase I'm old and cheep.)
  • Reply 28 of 35
    i just got a new 5g ipod black 30gig to replace my original firewire ,its fantastic the screen is so clear ,not to fussed about playing videos just music and the price difference of £50 over a 4gb nano means it really is a bargain !!!!
  • Reply 29 of 35
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    This weekend a friend and I were standing outside the (closed) Apple Store here in K.C. and were looking at the 5G iPod in the window. She said, "That's cool, but I don't need to play videos." I explained that it's an added feature, same cost, etc.

"Oh," she replied. "Well where do you get the videos from?" I explained you can buy them off the iTunes music store or put your own home movies on it. She thought that was cool.

I'm telling you, however miniscule, however many iPods ARE being sold, there IS a population that Apple is missing. The potential customer says, "I don't need a video iPod," and Apple misses a sale.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

This weekend a friend and I were standing outside the (closed) Apple Store here in K.C. and were looking at the 5G iPod in the window. She said, "That's cool, but I don't need to play videos." I explained that it's an added feature, same cost, etc.

A somewhat well tech-educated friend of mine and I had this exact conversation not too long ago. When I mentioned it was the same price as the old iPod, it changed his mind. I see and validate your point completely.

An advert to the likes of "same price, more features" would be nice to handle such people.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    I have 5G iPod and I couldn't care less about video playback. What I like in this player is that it has big screen so I can view many lines of text and see the album art. And like someone already said, this costs just the same as the previous high end iPod.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    This is silly. If they don't want video, then get a nano. If they still want a regularly sized iPod, it's not like they're paying more for the video feature. They're the same price as the iPod models they replaced. And they can always disable the video option when they get one. I disabled Photos on my nano.

It could also be that people, like usual, are hesitant to change. They'll warm up eventually. I think there are more people that are loving the video feature than there are not.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_Doll

This is silly. If they don't want video, then get a nano. If they still want a regularly sized iPod, it's not like they're paying more for the video feature. They're the same price as the iPod models they replaced. And they can always disable the video option when they get one. I disabled Photos on my nano.

It could also be that people, like usual, are hesitant to change. They'll warm up eventually. I think there are more people that are loving the video feature than there are not.

The main problem here is ignorance. They don't realise the price has been unaltered and the video is just a feature addition. If these few people were told this, they'd be fine. They have no way of comparing new to old models prices.

This isn't a matter that because it's there, they don't want it. It's a case of well the audio one used to be cheaper, which we all know wasn't...
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:

Originally posted by danielctull

This isn't a matter that because it's there, they don't want it. It's a case of well the audio one used to be cheaper, which we all know wasn't...

I don't know, in my case it's just a lingering suspicion that they could have _dropped_ the price on the audio model if they hadn't added a color screen and video features. It makes sense for them to add features to maintain their price point--but even though the price hasn't changed I am still paying extra for the video features.

Otherwise, the price would drop. That is what happens to consumer electronics.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    mac_dollmac_doll Posts: 527member
    Everyone seems to want things cheap these days, so I guess you can't please them. I personally think it's cool they kept the video iPods at the same price, because I'm getting more and still paying the past price. I'd say get an older model if the video just isn't your cup of tea.