Report: Apple to unveil light-weight notebook models in '06

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Actually I remember reading something about Sony helping Apple design laptop's also. If I remember Sony helps Apple with fitting components into the smaller case.

Designing the outside is one thing, but someone has to figure out how you are going to fit all that stuff on the inside.

Sony actually was the manufacturer of some of Apple's first laptops.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Quote:

keep the ibook for the females, leave us our manly powerbooks!

He`s a Lumber Jack an He`s okaaaay!!!!
  • Reply 43 of 63
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

Here's a monster, the Alien. They don't even tell you the weight, though it must be somewhere on the site. I think they don't want you to know.

And they call it a "notebook"!

http://www.alienware.com/product_det...de=SKU-EXTREME

I always hated the desknotes for that reason. Not only do they call it a laptop, don't tell you how quickly the batteries die, don't tell you how hot they get or how heavy they are. Like, here's a clue: if you put a desktop chip in your lap, you won't need to worry about reproduction because it probably won't happen. At least they are indirectly honest about the power consumption, they offer a 220W power adapter.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    Quote:

I opened up an SE/30 last week to find a big Sony logo on it's power supply. Sony have a long history with Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by TenoBell

Lighter sounds good. But I can't really go any smaller.

Those sub sized Sony's are too small and my hands are too large.

I wouldn't mind being able to write on the screen.

You already can...just use a sharpie...
  • Reply 46 of 63
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

How can you ever compare johnathon ive skills with that of the designers of the vaio?... Its at fairly wide held view that Apple is KING of industrial design....

The vaio is well designed but nothing is quite like a powerbook in comparison.

Quote:

But are thes PB's or iB's?

If they are Pb's, then they are truely light. If they are iB's, then they are lighter, but nowhere near what Sony and others are offering at 2.5 lbs, and lighter.

THAT is why I said that. People realize that other companies like sony do more as far as weight is concerned (apple's lightest notebook being 4.6 pounds) and after I posted people have gone on to say that sony for a long time has helped apple design the inside of their laptops.

THAT is how I can compare them to the designers of viao.
  • Reply 47 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Wouldn't a lighter laptop really lure business travellers, not women. Not sure where this female thing comes from.

Because right now "Apple" is associated with "style",

"being attractive", and so on. Apple is a state.

Now, Apples marketing department plunges the

next step. They try to feed the female in all of us.

my2pants
  • Reply 48 of 63
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Sony manufactured the first Apple laptop (sorry, the 16 pound behemoth lugggable doesn't count), the Powerbook 100. After that, they were manufactured by Apple. That's why, if you remember, the parts and all for the 100 was so completley different then all the rest (unfortunately its been so long I don't remember what was different about it - I just remember that certain products were listed as not working with the 100).

BTW, having a Sony power supply does not equate to "working together". And since its an SE/30, who knows, it might not even be original (although I think they solved their power supply problems by then, I know our 128K and FatMac blew several $500 power supplies over their lifetimes).
  • Reply 49 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Louzer

Sony manufactured the first Apple laptop (sorry, the 16 pound behemoth lugggable doesn't count), the Powerbook 100. After that, they were manufactured by Apple. That's why, if you remember, the parts and all for the 100 was so completley different then all the rest (unfortunately its been so long I don't remember what was different about it - I just remember that certain products were listed as not working with the 100).

BTW, having a Sony power supply does not equate to "working together". And since its an SE/30, who knows, it might not even be original (although I think they solved their power supply problems by then, I know our 128K and FatMac blew several $500 power supplies over their lifetimes).

Well, the first one DOES count. When it came out there was a big sigh of relief that it was finally there. And considering prices those days, it sold well.
  • Reply 50 of 63
    I think Apple will release one Intel-based iBook, and one Intel-based PowerBook, while leaving the remaining PowerPC-based products for sale.

iBook:

12-inch iBook G4 ($999)

13.3-inch widescreen Yonah iBook ($1,199)

PowerBook:

12-inch PowerBook G4 (discontinued)

15.4-inch Yonah PowerBook ($1,599)

17-inch PowerBook G4 ($1,999)
  • Reply 51 of 63
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think Apple will release one Intel-based iBook, and one Intel-based PowerBook, while leaving the remaining PowerPC-based products for sale.

iBook:

12-inch iBook G4 ($999)

PowerBook:

Doesn't strike me as realistic. It also gives the media, the stockholders, the analysts and most of all, the customers, the impression that Apple isn't really serious about Intel.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    i hope its true...

• Reply 53 of 63
    Quote:

iBook:

12-inch iBook G4 ($999)

PowerBook:

I don't think that Apple can do that for very long. If they come out with an Intel product they will have to discontinue any directly competing PPC product. They might keep another one that doesn't directly compete until that too is replaced.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Have you heard there's references to Sun's new Niagara chip in the December ADC doc updates and Apple are switching to using ZFS in Leopard?

Hmm, I happened to be thinking about the possibility of Apple using ZFS earlier yesterday morning shortly before reading your post ...
  • Reply 55 of 63
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ecking

THAT is why I said that. People realize that other companies like sony do more as far as weight is concerned (apple's lightest notebook being 4.6 pounds) and after I posted people have gone on to say that sony for a long time has helped apple design the inside of their laptops.

THAT is how I can compare them to the designers of viao.

Weight aside... compare the id used by apple to sony... in terms of materials no one has pushed the envelope quite like apple. Also the 1 inch laptop is all apple. And sure sony helped designed the powerbook 100 back in the day (AND IT DOESNT COUNT FOR MANY REASON one beign apple wasd testing the laptop waters with the 100) but from the powerbook g3 ist all apple and where the best laptop design has come. Sony is FOLLOWING not LEADING.
  • Reply 56 of 63
    Quote:

the company "will unveil light-weight models with a stylish design aimed at luring female users."

Don´t see why so many feel their manhood is at stake with this quote. Simple, get this laptop and the girls will swoon in. Even a manly man can respect that sort of lure. That quote never said the women had do the buying!
  • Reply 57 of 63
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

iBook:

12-inch iBook G4 ($999)

PowerBook:

That would absolutely not make any sense. People are going to ask themselves what is best, the G4 or Yonah, get confused and postpone their purchase.
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Because right now "Apple" is associated with "style",

"being attractive", and so on. Apple is a state.

Now, Apples marketing department plunges the

next step. They try to feed the female in all of us.

my2pants

They've done it before with the first iBooks with the handbag style handle. And they weren't very successful.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

That would absolutely not make any sense. People are going to ask themselves what is best, the G4 or Yonah, get confused and postpone their purchase.

There's some sense in leaving the G4 kicking about for a while alongside Intel laptops. Applications that aren't Intel native will run like a three legged dog on an Intel *book and Pros won't put up with that.

The precedent is Apple still leaving the G4 PowerMac available after the G5 was available for people that had to run OS9 still so they could run things like Quark.

In the same way, Pros wanting to run the Adobe Creative Suite would be better off with a G4 Powerbook than an Intel Powerbook until CS3 comes out. If Apple don't release an Intel native version of Aperture, Final Cut, DVD Studio and the rest then there's a bunch more reasons.
  • Reply 60 of 63
    Quote:

Originally posted by Celco

Weight aside... compare the id used by apple to sony... in terms of materials no one has pushed the envelope quite like apple. Also the 1 inch laptop is all apple. And sure sony helped designed the powerbook 100 back in the day (AND IT DOESNT COUNT FOR MANY REASON one beign apple wasd testing the laptop waters with the 100) but from the powerbook g3 ist all apple and where the best laptop design has come. Sony is FOLLOWING not LEADING.

They're all over the place really. The normal laptops are pretty boring design wise but every now and again they throw in some great ideas.

The ultrathin carbon fibre model they did last year and the sub notebook series with the swivel cam in the latch spring to mind. There was a white sub notebook last year with a 10" widescreen that if it ran OSX I'd have bought no question.

The problem with Sony though (or one of them anyway) is the build quality is usually very bad, especially compared to say an IBM, Apple, Fujitsu or business end Toshiba Tecra.