Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 2041 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

quick question here: has blu-ray even released a movie over 25gb? i mean are disks out there touting the 50gb storage space promised by the blue-ray camp?

Blu-ray, and HD-DVD, exist for a multitude of reasons.

The more data that I can fit on a single disc, the better. Especially when it's as scratch-resistant as Blu-ray is.
  • Reply 2042 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Blu-ray, and HD-DVD, exist for a multitude of reasons.

The more data that I can fit on a single disc, the better. Especially when it's as scratch-resistant as Blu-ray is.

I'm a bit paranoid about having too much data on one disc. I have DVDs that don't play well in my player now. My favorite is the 2-Disc set because it doesn't take any more space than a single in a case and you have one disc for the movie and another for the extras.

When the extras are really good I enjoy them but typically the extras are rather boring and I'd rather not compromise the movie for the extras.
  • Reply 2043 of 2106
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm a bit paranoid about having too much data on one disc. I have DVDs that don't play well in my player now. My favorite is the 2-Disc set because it doesn't take any more space than a single in a case and you have one disc for the movie and another for the extras.

When the extras are really good I enjoy them but typically the extras are rather boring and I'd rather not compromise the movie for the extras.

That sounds like a player problem. Is that your HD-DVD player?

For me it's all about less disks. I'm very fond of my carousel, and if I could get more data on one disk I could probably fit all my disks in my 300+1 disk carousel. Right now I can't, and getting up to swap out a disk so I can watch the extras is really inconvenient.

It would be even more so with these new formats where you can see the menu on screen and use special features during the movie. I'd hate to see a screen that says something like "press enter to see how this scene was made" and then have it say "Put in disk #2" That would totally suck. Just another reason why I like the Blu format.
  • Reply 2044 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

That sounds like a player problem. Is that your HD-DVD player?

For me it's all about less disks. I'm very fond of my carousel, and if I could get more data on one disk I could probably fit all my disks in my 300+1 disk carousel. Right now I can't, and getting up to swap out a disk so I can watch the extras is really inconvenient.

It would be even more so with these new formats where you can see the menu on screen and use special features during the movie. I'd hate to see a screen that says something like "press enter to see how this scene was made" and then have it say "Put in disk #2" That would totally suck. Just another reason why I like the Blu format.

You haven't mentioned anything here that is unique to Blu-ray. In fact HD DVD has been delivering dual stream interactive features since Constantine.

My dream player would consist of a 400 disc changer with a TB of hard drive space. I could take the extras and place them on the hard drive and just use the movie disc. I'd be networked via ethernet and I'd have SACD/DVDA support as well.

on another note

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

Sales Rank

HD DVD - 494

Blu-ray - 1425

Blu-ray's losing out on the Adult studios as well. Blu-ray fans...pray HD DVD doesn't have any big surprises on January 7th because things are not looking for your format.
  • Reply 2045 of 2106
    Quote:

You haven't mentioned anything here that is unique to Blu-ray. In fact HD DVD has been delivering dual stream interactive features since Constantine.

My dream player would consist of a 400 disc changer with a TB of hard drive space. I could take the extras and place them on the hard drive and just use the movie disc. I'd be networked via ethernet and I'd have SACD/DVDA support as well.

on another note

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

Sales Rank

HD DVD - 494

Blu-ray - 1425

Blu-ray's losing out on the Adult studios as well. Blu-ray fans...pray HD DVD doesn't have any big surprises on January 7th because things are not looking for your format.

Wow thanks for that. You can see exactly how much faster Blu Ray has grown in the last 30 days compared to HD-DVD

Sales-rank of top 10 products:

HD = from about 700 to 494. = gained 206 points.

BR = from about 2750 to 1425. gained 1325 points. that is almost 7 x the gain in just the last 30 days.

HD DVD is the current leader in every category other than how many movies are available in which HD-DVD have just been overtaken by Blu-Ray, but with that kind of growth I don't see how anyone can deny that the shift has gone to Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the reassurance.
  • Reply 2046 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Wow thanks for that. You can see exactly how much faster Blu Ray has grown in the last 30 days compared to HD-DVD

BR = from about 2750 to 1425. gained 1325 points. that is almost 7 x the gain in just the last 30 days.

HD DVD is the current leader in every category other than how many movies are available in which HD-DVD have just been overtaken by Blu-Ray, but with that kind of growth I don't see how anyone can deny that the shift has gone to Blu-Ray.

Precisely.
  • Reply 2047 of 2106
    I'd be remiss if I stated that the PS3 has had no effect. It certainly has as there was pent up demand for a low cost Blu-ray player for some and Sony based nextgen game console for others.

I think it's quite easy to deny that a shif has gone to Blu-ray. Prior to the PS3 launch there was such a scarcity of Blu-ray players Blu-ray, quite naturally, fell behind. Thus, what we are seeing now is not a wholesale transition to Blu-ray but rather the market correcting itself.

It's also quite interesting that the new Toshiba A2 has been shipping for barely over a couple of weeks as well and from what I read it's a hot seller.

Right now it's a tough one to call. If the PS3 owners catch a bug and decide to start buying movies then things could reverse very quickly. If Disney delivers Cars and the PotC series on Blu-ray then we'll see the gap close mighty quick.
  • Reply 2048 of 2106
    Quote:

I'd be remiss if I stated that the PS3 has had no effect. It certainly has as there was pent up demand for a low cost Blu-ray player for some and Sony based nextgen game console for others.

I think it's quite easy to deny that a shif has gone to Blu-ray. Prior to the PS3 launch there was such a scarcity of Blu-ray players Blu-ray, quite naturally, fell behind. Thus, what we are seeing now is not a wholesale transition to Blu-ray but rather the market correcting itself.

It's also quite interesting that the new Toshiba A2 has been shipping for barely over a couple of weeks as well and from what I read it's a hot seller.

Right now it's a tough one to call. If the PS3 owners catch a bug and decide to start buying movies then things could reverse very quickly. If Disney delivers Cars and the PotC series on Blu-ray then we'll see the gap close mighty quick.

This is all speculation on your part. The figures you showd us were absolute fact.

Here is a little more speculation. I'd have to speculate that over 70% of the PS3's were opened 3 days ago, and not 30 days ago.
  • Reply 2049 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

This is all speculation on your part. The figures you showd us were absolute fact.

Here is a little more speculation. I'd have to speculate that over 70% of the PS3's were opened 3 days ago, and not 30 days ago.

Another speculation is that many of the HD-DVD players & xbox 360 HD-DVD add ons were also opened 3 days ago.... Same field and same game, but HD-DVD seems to be still on top.
  • Reply 2050 of 2106
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Oh for God's sake. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this kind of gibberish doesn't do Blue-Ray fans any favors.

By this logic Apple is clearly poised to overtake MS because they have had some large percentage of growth in their market share while MS has stayed "stuck" at 95%.

Really, argue the merits and trumpet your preferred format's wins, by all means, but no need to wander into the weeds.
  • Reply 2051 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Oh for God's sake. I don't have a dog in this hunt, but this kind of gibberish doesn't do Blue-Ray fans any favors.

By this logic Apple is clearly poised to overtake MS because they have had some large percentage of growth in their market share while MS has stayed "stuck" at 95%.

Really, argue the merits and trumpet your preferred format's wins, by all means, but no need to wander into the weeds.

Nor does the aforementioned gibberish do any HD DVD fans any favors, as Amazon sales rank numbers are 1) not a true indicator of the market as most consumers don't buy everything online, and 2) are suspect to begin with in that a full Blu-ray representation is not present.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, but taking Amazon's number and claiming "market share" percentages is simply lame, illogical, and HD DVD FUD banter (same goes for claims that Blu-ray is losing Adult studios).
  • Reply 2052 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Nor does the aforementioned gibberish do any HD DVD fans any favors, as Amazon sales rank numbers are 1) not a true indicator of the market as most consumers don't buy everything online, and 2) are suspect to begin with in that a full Blu-ray representation is not present.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat this, but taking Amazon's number and claiming "market share" percentages is simply lame, illogical, and HD DVD FUD banter (same goes for claims that Blu-ray is losing Adult studios).

I don't think anyone is claiming the Amazon numbers represent some kind of absolute "market share". They are just an indicator, albeit a readily available and up-to-date one, and one that surely has some kind of bearing on the larger market.

I would say, however, that simple numerical Amazon rankings make far more sense as an indicator than some convoluted argument about percentage increase within a non-standardized segment of those rankings.

There's evidence to buttress one's case, and there's really reaching.
  • Reply 2053 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

LOL, your just trying to deflect the facts with your erroneous blathering. Those #'s are showing the obvious, which is that in sales Blu-Ray just made a huge leap in closing the gap on HD-DVD. In merely 30 days Blu-Ray gained almost 7x the amount of buyers, or purchases than that of HD-DVD. If they do it again over the next 30 they will overtake HD-DVD in Amazon sales.

That Microsoft comparison is pathetic attempt to alter the reality of the situation, and the format. The analogy makes it sound like something it's not.

Using MS, in conjunction with HD-DVD was a nice attempt at Bullshit, but bullshit is all it really is. Microsoft will always be the biggest. You can not guarantee that about HD-DVD.
  • Reply 2054 of 2106
    Quote:

LOL, your just trying to deflect the facts with your erroneous blathering. Those #'s are showing the obvious, which is that in sales Blu-Ray just made a huge leap in closing the gap on HD-DVD. In merely 30 days Blu-Ray gained almost 7x the amount of buyers, or purchases than that of HD-DVD. If they do it again over the next 30 they will overtake HD-DVD in Amazon sales.

That Microsoft comparison is pathetic attempt to alter the reality of the situation, and the format. The analogy makes it sound like something it's not.

Using MS, in conjunction with HD-DVD was a nice attempt at Bullshit, but bullshit is all it really is. Microsoft will always be the biggest. You can not guarantee that about HD-DVD.

Whatever. Like I say, I don't have a dog in this hunt and I have no interest in "deflecting facts", particularly with rabid fan boys.

But your analysis of what moving up in sales rankings at Amazon portends is just wrong.

We have no way of knowing what sales ranking at Amazon mean in actual numbers. We don't know if moving from, say, 1000th to 750th means a doubling of sales, or a 15% increase, or anything. We don't know if we're starting with 500 units moved and expanding to 600 units moved. We don't know if moving from 750th to 500th is a steeper, shallow or comparable delta in terms of unit sales. For all we know the top 25 sellers on Amazon represent an aggregate 40 million units, the next 50 an aggregate 10 million and the next 1000 an aggregate 100.

The figures you cite could represent a substantial increase in Blu-Ray market penetration, or it could just as easily represent low hanging fruit in the lower reaches of Amazon rankings, where modest sales increases mean rapid ranking increases.

At the same time, HD-DVD rankings changes could also represent modest market changes (although we do know for sure that increased ranking closer to the top for any given product must represent larger absolute increases than those below), or it could be that every ranking point at the HD-DVD level equals the entire Amazon sales of Blu-Ray stuff.

Don't have enough information. Can't say.
  • Reply 2055 of 2106
    It's pretty clear that the pent up demand for Blu-ray brought the numbers closer to where they should have been. I expect to see the things plateau now that PS3 are fairly easy to get if you just look around.

Both formats are doing well in their first year. CES 2007 will kick off another year of strategic plans and partnerships. I'm not willing to discount the success of either format in fact I think for the most part they will continue to thrive as pricing goes down.

What this battle has show is that technical specs mean very little to people when they are satisfied with the quality. Blu-ray didn't start making some headway until the Samsung player was discounted and the PS3 shipped. HD DVD has made excellent headway with the HD DVD add on for the 360.
  • Reply 2056 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    well... it's still unsure about the BD sales figures/rankings from Amazon. We've seen it spike like such when Sammy BD player came out sometime in August/September 2006, then it died down after about a month later. However, we've seen HD-DVD figures sustaining for some time now.

Eitherway, if the BD sales numbers sustain even after January of 2007, then that would be more meaningful number to project the rest of the year to come for BD.

My projection is that Xbox add on figures would come very close to PS3 used as BD players, but the standalone Hi-Def format player for BD would be lagging by a lot and that would help to lead HD-DVD sales through out 2007.

Anyway, even with increased sales activity on both BD and HD-DVD sides for the holidays, HD-DVD still out paces BD movie sales by huge margin and does conclude that Hi-Def format war is clearly won by HD-DVD for 2006 in hardware and software.

I will be looking forward to 2007. Let the future unfold......
  • Reply 2057 of 2106
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Hey, why doesn't someone lock this hideously long thread and help encourage a move to the new 2007 thread?
  • Reply 2058 of 2106
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    There's nothing wrong with long threads.
  • Reply 2059 of 2106
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Hey, why doesn't someone lock this hideously long thread and help encourage a move to the new 2007 thread?

It's still 2006.

• Reply 2060 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

Because some of can't stand multiple threads on the same subject matter and believe that muck you starter should have never happened.

This thread is fine.